Irish Whiskey

i found this on irish whiskey (was doing a piece on st paddy's day). will confess i don't know a lot about it. if anyone has any suggestions, please put them up.

BRINGING CLASSY BACK: THE TOP 6 IRISH WHISKEYS

SHARE ON:      

TYLER MURRAY

The recent Irish whiskey explosion in bars across the world has set in motion a runway locomotive of high-end sipable Irish whiskeys that spirit enthusiasts just weren’t privy to in the past. The common Irish drinker is no longer some goon at a bar getting a ripper of Jamie on the side with his Bud Light. Distilleries have pulled Irish whiskey out of the basement and brought forth a new era of class and dignity when enjoying the water of life. Today we chronicle the Irish whiskeys that are prime for going out and having a craic with the mates or just sipping while you’re knackered at home next to the fire with Shepard in the oven. These are the six elite whiskeys that would bring a tear of joy to mother Eire’s eye.

Slainte Mhaith!

Single Pot Still: Green Spot

In the rolling hills of Ireland’s “Sunny South East,” Single Pot Still is using its outstanding Irish resources to keep alive a whiskey distilling tradition that is centuries old. In the strong beating heart of the distillery is their Green Spot whiskey. A smash hit with most every critic that’s had the pleasure of enjoying a taste, Green spot’s smoothness is the most prevalent detail. Its notes of creamy vanilla and crisp peppermint bridge the gap to its oaky and bourbon like flavor that finishes with a long sweet finish. This Irish puts most single malt scotches to shame… and for half the price.

Where can I sip The Green Spot?

Jameson: Black Barrel

Don’t get it twisted. Although Jameson’s pickle back and green tea mix drink type popularity has made its original recipe lose some luster, the juggernauts of the Irish whiskey game still have some seriously delicious choices in their arsenal. Jameson triple distills this batch in their bourbon casks that they char twice over (hence the name black barrel). The charring of the casks gives Black Barrel a strong robust flavor that singes even the manliest of men’s eyebrows. The time spent distilling this whiskey give it smooth notes of toffee and butter scotch that ease you into that robust smoky flavor.

Where can I sip Black Barrel?

Knappogue Castle: 12 Year Single Malt Irish Whiskey

Much like its whiskey, the Knappogue Castle distillery is a brilliant picture of elegance and grandeur. Processed inside a restored old Gaelic Castle, Knappogue’s 12-year single malt is delicately handled and distilled in high-grade copper stills. This gentle Irish is great to have a sip by the fire during a nightcap. Its notes of biscuit and pepper pave the way toward a mellow smooth and fruity flavor that rides through to the finish leaving the drinker warm and toasty inside.

Where can I sip the 12 Year Single Malt?

Barr An Uisce: 1803 Single Malt Irish Whiskey

A personal favorite of mine, the Barr An Uisce stays true to the classic Irish style of distilling whiskey (I mean come on just look at that name). Their 1803 single malt is distilled with a meticulous ten-year distilling process. Though the flavors of this beauty don’t steer too far from each other, don’t let that fool you. The different types of flavor, although similar, are bountiful and will challenge the drinker’s palate. The notes of vanilla, white chocolate, caramel, crème brulee, and cinnamon create a silky smooth texture that is then cracked open with bitingly sweet flavors of tropical fruit and ginger all culminating into a classic oak and malt finish. This whiskey is nothing but smooth sailing straight to warmth and bliss.

Where can I sip 1803?

Glendalough: 13 Year Single Malt Irish Whiskey

In Ireland, 13 is the number of luck rather than the misfortune it represents for us Americans. For Glendalough Distillery, 13 might as well be black jack. Their 13-year single malt celebrates a rich history in their storied uprising as a distillery. This complex Irish uses distilling tactics unheard of that set its flavor from the rest of the pack. The whiskey is aged in bourbon barrels made of mizunara oak trees from japan. Its rich creamy notes of caramel and vanilla are confronted viciously by flavors of citrus dried apricot, and pepper. These sharp biting flavors are then wrestled down by a smooth malty finish. This roller coaster ride of a whiskey truly embodies the spirit of the fighting Irish.

Where can I sip Glendalough?

Single Pot Still: Redbreast 12 Year Whiskey

The still so nice we had to list it twice. Single Pot Still is making a second well-deserved appearance on our list. But, this time, it is with their multiple award winning critically acclaimed Redbreast 12 year whiskey. If the Green Spot is the heart of Single Pot Still, redbreast is the backbone. A classic example of a survivor through a bygone era, redbreast has critics and novices applauding alike. Its notes of nut and fresh cut fruit rip open all expectation right out of the gate with every sip. These intense flavors then lay down like tamed tigers to let in a sweet flavor of sherry and pepper that then waltzes off toward a creamy custardy finish.

Excellent line up Ken. Green Spot a firm favourite of mine. I would put Redbreast and Glendalough further up the pecking order....2nd and 3rd.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IPORTER said:

Excellent line up Ken. Green Spot a firm favourite of mine. I would put Redbreast and Glendalough further up the pecking order....2nd and 3rd.....

thanks but no credit to me. this was simply an article i found on line. not sure it is in any order but good to hear some thoughts. 

• Like 2

I too would place Redbreast high on the list - particularly the 12 yo Cask Strength, and the 25 yo for that special occasion.

Yellow Spot would be my choice if I were introducing someone to Irish Pot Still whiskey.  Its triple cask maturation (including Malaga casks) gives it a less spicy attack than Green Spot, and is more immediately appealing.

Finally, Powers John's Lane is my vote for best-bang-for-your-buck Irish. (I think @Jeremy Festamentioned this somewhere - I heartily agree).

All these happen to be brands made by Midleton.  So just to be fair, Teeling is very good as well.

68DEC329-8863-4CB6-AA15-0D048B52F57A.jpeg

429BCC6A-2219-427C-8401-A6E2AA05ED8D.jpeg

A2A4F0A3-E5A1-41B8-9F4E-86E42237EF3A.jpeg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SirVantes said:

I too would place Redbreast high on the list - particularly the 12 yo Cask Strength, and the 25 yo for that special occasion.

Yellow Spot would be my choice if I were introducing someone to Irish Pot Still whiskey.  It's triple cask maturation (including Malaga casks) gives it a less spicy attack than Green Spot, and is more immediately appealing.

Finally, Powers John's Lane is my vote for best-bang-for-your-buck Irish. (I think @Jeremy Festamentioned this somewhere - I heartily agree).

All these happen to be brands made by Midleton.  So just to be fair, Teeling is very good as well.

68DEC329-8863-4CB6-AA15-0D048B52F57A.jpeg

100% mate. 

I'd go one further in its rating though, as it is my favourite whiskey/whisky.

Spent the last week looking online for stock in Oz. Nowhere to be found. Then bang!

I took 2 of the last 3 bottles I am currently aware of. Wasn't right to take all 3.

Slainte 

• Like 2

Redbreast 12 Cask Strength...YUMMMM!!!

I've had a bottle open for going on 5 years and I just can't get into it. It's got such rave reviews from people but I find it too resinous

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lotusguy said:

I've had a bottle open for going on 5 years and I just can't get into it. It's got such rave reviews from people but I find it too resinous

Interesting. I have the regular 12 year. Wonder how different the cask strength is from the 21 year, which I love?

1 hour ago, canadianbeaver said:

Interesting. I have the regular 12 year. Wonder how different the cask strength is from the 21 year, which I love?

I find the barrels are way too present in older Irish whiskies. Never tried the RB 21, but after 12-15 years, the oak takes over and compromises (imo) the classic smooth, easy drinking flavours found in many Irish (again, never tried the RB 21, but have noticed in others with older age statements).

• Like 3

After reading these post I've realized that I'm still a bit confused on the subject and will need to sit down with one of those fine collections and do a little more research...... Oh a few cigars might be involved too.?   you know now that i think about there might be a few others with some confusion as well so maybe a group study... so any of you well supplied lads looking for company or ,more importantly which one of your wives wouldnt mind a patio full of cigar smokin whiskey drinkin gentlemen wandering by...

• Like 2

Shlomo, the RB 21 is divine. If I lived in Toronto and knew you were visiting, we could meet for a congrats sip on your anniversary, whenever that was, bro.

Oddly enough, I got my hands on a bottle of Canadian Club 40, which was the same glorious Ontario price. I have been finding incredible bottles. I used to think this was a horrifying expense, until we realized it is pretty much the same as a box of cigars but lasts longer :wub:

CB

Any thoughts on Tyrconnell?

Personally I like Bushmills, the 21 is especially good.  Yellow spot is great too. I find Irish whisky has a banana aspect I don't find in other whisk(e)y.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Been very tempted by it for a while now...just too many others on the "to buy list". How is it? Comparable to a sherried Scotch or not at all?

No i wouldnt say it is comparable...

Its been a while but i just remember it being better than i expected neat.

But im definitely no expert :)