Irish Whiskey

4 hours ago, Lant63 said:

Any thoughts on Tyrconnell?

Personally I like Bushmills, the 21 is especially good.  Yellow spot is great too. I find Irish whisky has a banana aspect I don't find in other whisk(e)y.  

There are two grades of this this kind, and one is inexpensive, one is much higher.  The higher does this cask thing as discussed above.

We have a bottle of the less expensive one one, and it is very nice. To me that means tasty with a tiny bit of water to “open it up” as they say and that’s it.

Here’s a new shot of me Irish shelf. I have taken to collecting whiskey like cigars. Go figure. :party:

DEE207C3-7EEA-4D36-AEE4-61837BF48DA2.thumb.jpeg.2f8888b97053c561f55ef2bcddd8556c.jpeg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, canadianbeaver said:

Shlomo, the RB 21 is divine. If I lived in Toronto and knew you were visiting, we could meet for a congrats sip on your anniversary, whenever that was, bro.

Oddly enough, I got my hands on a bottle of Canadian Club 40, which was the same glorious Ontario price. I have been finding incredible bottles. I used to think this was a horrifying expense, until we realized it is pretty much the same as a box of cigars but lasts longer :wub:

CB

I don't live in Toronto, and try to avoid it as much as possible...lol. Thanks for the invite. Same to you if you'e back my way.

• Like 1

No aficionado here either, not by any stretch, but I have visited the Bushmills distillery in Ireland and picked up some Black Bush (ahem...) while there. 

It's a fave now. Matured in the old sherry casks. Lovely, deeper flavour profile... definitely worth taking a run at, for my two-bob's worth. 

• Like 1

Another vote for Redbreast,  and especially the 12 year Cask Strength.   Great stuff. 

I also like Black Bush.  Great sipping whiskey. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shlomo said:

I don't live in Toronto, and try to avoid it as much as possible...lol. Thanks for the invite. Same to you if you'e back my way.

I know, I met you in Montreal. But it meant hey, you might travel some time? I now live 2.5 hours north of Toronto in a two block long booming downtown metropolis!

Stay warm.

CB

• Like 1

Yellow Spot is still my favorite but these two are worth a taste. The Green Spot Chateau Leoville Barton cask has a very fruity strain  to it. The port finish Teeling Single Cask also hits the spot and is Non Chill Filtered.  

DEE2CE24-626F-46FB-B844-5A74E2327768.jpegB861D45E-C1C7-4A99-B109-465C29A5A5B7.thumb.jpeg.cae921080a2ab3fd5285271c078a2e40.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Drguano said:

Yellow Spot is still my favorite but these two are worth a taste. The Green Spot Chateau Leoville Barton cask has a very fruity strain  to it. The port finish Teeling Single Cask also hits the spot and is Non Chill Filtered.  

DEE2CE24-626F-46FB-B844-5A74E2327768.jpegB861D45E-C1C7-4A99-B109-465C29A5A5B7.thumb.jpeg.cae921080a2ab3fd5285271c078a2e40.jpeg

These different varieties of the brands are beautiful. Never seen them before. Thanks!

CB

If smooth is what you're into try and seek out the Glengoyne 10, it's supernatural in its smoothness

Thanks but not really looking for that profile - it was a bit boring to me. I like mostly peated single malts.

1 hour ago, Lotusguy said:

Thanks but not really looking for that profile - it was a bit boring to me. I like mostly peated single malts.

Definitely not a peat, it's a green apple one. But still, so smooth that it might warrant a looksie purely for novelty purposes, there isn't anything smoother out there.

About as far as you can get from an Ardberg etc though! 

Definitely not a peat, it's a green apple one. But still, so smooth that it might warrant a looksie purely for novelty purposes, there isn't anything smoother out there.
About as far as you can get from an Ardberg etc though! 

I did enjoy Glengoyne - though I still have the 14YO from before the relaunch when they started using caramel coloring and raised prices ;)

I've had a bottle open for going on 5 years and I just can't get into it. It's got such rave reviews from people but I find it too resinous

I agree with you! I had a bottle (still drank it) but wasn’t totally enamoured by it... quite harsh and a little over powering!

I’m heading down to Midleton distillery in two weeks time to do the whole works..tour/tasing/buying.... it’s one of the last distillery’s I’ve left to visit in Ireland....I’m surprised it wasn’t my first to be honest... I also highly recommend Teeling....a some what of a new comer, the guys in charge are the sons of John Teeling who sold Cooley Whiskey to Beam Inc in 2011.. they’re doing great things in the liberties(where their distillery’s is located) really worth the visit if you’re ever in Dublin!

• Like 3

On 3/7/2018 at 4:01 AM, Lant63 said:

Any thoughts on Tyrconnell?

Personally I like Bushmills, the 21 is especially good.  Yellow spot is great too. I find Irish whisky has a banana aspect I don't find in other whisk(e)y.  

Banana very prevalent in Dalmore 15 for me...and, less pleasantly so, in the Cotswold Distillery Single Malt. 

In today’s email for subscribers online, this catalog of Irish Whiskey is great reference. Hit the browse button and see six pages of bottles.

Enjoy!

http://www.lcbo.com/content/lcbo/en/pages/spirits/irish-charm.html?ad=FB&WS&PHD&v=13#.WqeOcyJE2Ee

“Lá fhéile Pádraig sona dhuit!”

:buddies:

CB

• 2 weeks later...
I’m heading down to Midleton distillery in two weeks time to do the whole works..tour/tasing/buying.... it’s one of the last distillery’s I’ve left to visit in Ireland....I’m surprised it wasn’t my first to be honest... I also highly recommend Teeling....a some what of a new comer, the guys in charge are the sons of John Teeling who sold Cooley Whiskey to Beam Inc in 2011.. they’re doing great things in the liberties(where their distillery’s is located) really worth the visit if you’re ever in Dublin!

13af5b848c3935b41979fed604d567c9.jpg

She’s coming home.

• Like 1

While not all that exclusive or fancy, my taste buds have been thoroughly enjoying a bottle of Jameson Black Barrel lately.  A close second for me is Bushmill Black Bush.

• 9 months later...