Just not a PLPC kind of guy

I personally just cannot enjoy a small cigar much. They can have great flavor but if the format is too small it doesn’t work for me.  Which brings me to the PLPC.  I love the write up about their five year transformation.  I simply wish PL would put that into a Corona Gorda or Robusto Extra format.  I would even be excited about a Belicoso. Sigh. 

I think of smaller vitolas like a half sandwich or a complement to a good herf. There are times you have a great corona gorda or a genios (i.e. Connie A) and you feel like you're not done. That's when you grab a petit corona or a half corona to top yourself off. If you live in a place with brutal winters those smaller cigars serve a purpose as well. They might not be go to's as the main event, but they make for great encores or quickies. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ElJavi76 said:

I think of smaller vitolas like a half sandwich or a complement to a good herf. There are times you have a great corona gorda or a genios (i.e. Connie A) and you feel like you're not done. That's when you grab a petit corona or a half corona to top yourself off. If you live in a place with brutal winters those smaller cigars serve a purpose as well. They might not be go to's as the main event, but they make for great encores or quickies. 

I agree. I’m still in the process of reducing a large inventory of NC’s, mostly on weekday evenings. If my experience hasn’t been so good, as happens often (CC’s absolutely ruined it for nearly everything else in my humidor:D), I find myself looking for a CC “chaser”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dowjr1 said:

I personally just cannot enjoy a small cigar much. They can have great flavor but if the format is too small it doesn’t work for me.  Which brings me to the PLPC.  I love the write up about their five year transformation.  I simply wish PL would put that into a Corona Gorda or Robusto Extra format.  I would even be excited about a Belicoso. Sigh. 

Hi mate try the Picadores if you haven't already. Brings the PL flavour profile in a robusto/hermosa no 4 format. It might be more your vitola. Cheers. Dicko

1 hour ago, ElJavi76 said:

If you live in a place with brutal winters those smaller cigars serve a purpose as well.

We don’t get *brutal* winters here, but it does get cold enough that i only feel like sitting on the porch for 20-30 minutes sometimes. I’ve embraced my hedonic heathenism and chopped really good full-size cigars into thirds for short smokes. I’m not sitting in 10-20 degrees F for an hour+ to enjoy a bigger cigar

We got to 80 degrees here today in dc. New record. I smoked 3 PLMCs today and will probably have a chico before bed, lol.  

There are usually captions, highlighting tasting notes here around the forums and during the daily 24:24 sales (FAQ in the forum actually, if you are curious).

In reference to PLPC, the 5 year mark is mentioned by a few individuals.  They view the payoff the greatest once they reach hit this age range.  I believe this was what he referred to.

This place is an amazing gold mine of insight and wisdom.  Take your time like a gorgeous cigar and have a few sips from time to time.  The information will always (knock on wood) be here for you to learn from.

• Like 1

I would recommend that you don’t write them off completely and try a few more. While the smoking time is obviously less than that of a corona gorda or larger format cigar, I find I am perfectly happy enough with a good pc. I find the bolivar pc for example has enough of a kick, particularly when young, that I couldn’t have another cigar after even if I wanted one. 

When the weather is cooler I find I don’t want to sit out for too long with a cigar. I have also found pc’s to be perfect summer weather cigars, when it is too hot to be sat out for too long!

Anyway, size doesn’t matter and the best things come in small packages..... apparently :lookaround:

Guest Nekhyludov
27 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

PL could use a DC or Churchill... 

Amen! But then again, I think every marca could use a DC or churchill ... :rolleyes:

I've smoked a lot of PLPCs that had over 5 years on them. The age does the cigar good, no doubt, but the caramel flavor development is overstated or I just don't get it.  And it is quite possible that I don't get it. I love the cigar and I have a lot of them. Some people like 46 RG + cigars and have no use for 42 RG cigars. That's fine, but if you are looking for the caramel bomb in a five year old fatty, I'd give up the search. The PLPC is the cigar that is supposed to have that flavor, and may be in the day it did, but since 2004 I haven't tasted it. My .02$ 

Try the Montecarlos! They're very thin, but I get just as long a smoke with them than I do with CGs and Robusto Extras, if not longer. Usually 65-70 minutes or so. And they taste wonderful. Not as full bodied or strong as the PC, though, if that's what you're looking for.

Personally, I enjoy marevas, though I do often find myself wishing they were an extra half inch or inch longer (story of my life, lol). I tend to get 50-60 minutes with a mareva. About the same as a standard robusto, really

I have to agree with the OP on this.  It is not so much the flavor or time period, but I always just find the draw too tight. 

3 hours ago, joeypots said:

I've smoked a lot of PLPCs that had over 5 years on them. The age does the cigar good, no doubt, but the caramel flavor development is overstated or I just don't get it.  And it is quite possible that I don't get it. I love the cigar and I have a lot of them. Some people like 46 RG + cigars and have no use for 42 RG cigars. That's fine, but if you are looking for the caramel bomb in a five year old fatty, I'd give up the search. The PLPC is the cigar that is supposed to have that flavor, and may be in the day it did, but since 2004 I haven't tasted it. My .02$ 

I can always appreciate an informed decision that goes against the grain. I have a cab in the humi so I can conduct this same test. I still have a few years before that happens. I was just thinking to myself the other night after seeing them pop up on 24:24 again that if they are as tasty as pres makes them out to be around that 5 year mark then I will be kicking myself for not getting more of them. Thanks for sharing your experiences.