How to sneak in a holiday cigar

When I was younger,  it was easier to sneak in a cigar on holidays as I'd just leave to meet up with a buddy. Now, in my late 30s and with three little ones, we're often around family and I find it hard to get away for so long.  I feel guilty and it seems there's an expectation I am around. How do you do it? Wait till others go to bed? Blatantly leave and go outside? 

Walk upstairs get cigar out of humidor.  come back downstairs and open door.  Light up cigar and smoke.  I am hosting my family and feeding them a beautiful 15 pound prime rib.  I will smoke a cigar after that fine meal.  My kids know I smoke and if I am feeling social I will light up the fire pit and invite people to join me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Once the morning mess from my 2 girls is cleaned up, we get ready to go to my folks' place for the afternoon.  I get dressed fast, and the misses helps the younger ladies get dressed and hair done. I used the difference in time to fit in a D4 last year.  They were all ready to go about the same time I was done and everyone was happy. I was thinking about trying to smoke an 898 this year but I don't think it's happening lol.

• Like 2

Will be hard to do when my nieces are here.  They always give me ten tons of crap about smoking. :lol:  I usually have to say I am going to run an errand and just smoke in my car which is not too bad.

I could just say my house, my rules but that would make it worse and they would continue to bust my &$@! So I just leave. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Maybe the problem is having the mentality of having to “sneak” a cigar. Good god why not just go outside fo an hour? Bundle up the kids, help them build a snowman and light up. I do it from time to time with my nephews and nieces during the holidays, they love going outside and I can smoke and play with them. Yea it’s 20F so you have to man up a bit but geez.

• Like 1

I'll be at the grandparents house for X-mas Eve, so I won't be able to get a smoke in until after I get home. But I'm on my second cigar this morning, and I have a Lusitania waiting for me this evening when I return. I really enjoy that period of time in a day when I have nothing left to do but relax. So that will be my cigar time tonight.

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a break. In fact, it's probably a good idea given how hectic some of the Holidays and family situations can be. Maybe offer your wife or someone an hour to take care of the kids/family, so they can do what they want to do on their own in exchange for getting an hour for yourself?

• Like 2

Yeah, I'll use the "I'm off outside for a cigar " at the in-laws this year. If anyone, young or old, wants to come out as well - whether to smoke or not - all good. If not, good too.

Thunder & Lightening '75 - '15

• Like 3

I get to smoke a holiday cigar on Christmas day because my brother-in-law, @Cuzz likes cigars and his sister (a.k.a. my wife) likes me to smoke one with him to encourage our friendship/relationship/rapport etc. This is one instance where it's good to listen to your wife's counsel! :lol3:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

I get to smoke a holiday cigar on Christmas day because my brother-in-law, @Cuzz likes cigars and his sister (a.k.a. my wife) likes me to smoke one with him to encourage our friendship/relationship/rapport etc. This is one instance where it's good to listen to your wife's counsel! :lol3:

Very similar situation for me, my brother in law always bums a cigar

Tomorrow he’ll get a PSD 4 and I’ll burn a Lusi

• Like 1

I will set up a propane heater outside for the cigarette smokers and will get a cigar in in the afternoon. Have a 2011 HUHC ready for then (thank you@awkwardpause). In the evening I am sure I will smoke one with my neighbor. He has a partially enclosed porch. Most likely an ‘06 BCE (thanks@topdiesel—BTW I’m getting low!! Haha..). Whew, I need to make a New Years resolution to change my moocher ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is what has always worked for me. You have to have a family member or friend go out with you. You can’t go solo. The wife assumes your being rude, but when you say take your dad and brother in law out to the back for a smoke, now your being hospitable.

pure genius 

• Like 4

I have just asked if anyone would like to share a cigar with me. I already know they are going to say no, but the wife doesn't give me the dirty your being rude look when I ask. I also try and smoke a smaller cigar so I'm only out 45 min to an hour. 

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:43 AM, topdiesel said:

Walk upstairs get cigar out of humidor.  come back downstairs and open door.  Light up cigar and smoke.  I am hosting my family and feeding them a beautiful 15 pound prime rib.  I will smoke a cigar after that fine meal.  My kids know I smoke and if I am feeling social I will light up the fire pit and invite people to join me.

Atta Boy, Top!  A man's man.  :2thumbs: