Heating a Garage, looking for advice

I have a 3 car garage and I'd love to turn it into a smokable area.  It doesn't necessarily have to be a permanent fixture of the garage, but something that can heat a decent sized indoor area without taking forever to warm up would be ideal.  

I'd love to hear what some of you guys use, as I doubt im the first person to face this one.  Thanks in advance.  

• Like 1

Call your heating contractor and have them install a Modine Hot Dawg unit or a Reznor. This is a permanent unit. Should be 2-3 k.

If that not in the budget get a sunflower portable fish house heater. They make a 2 headed one that will heat up quickly.

3 rd choice would be a propane turbo unit. Don't get the kerosene one as they stink.

Im a HVAC contractor so let me know if you need any advise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, madandana said:

Call your heating contractor and have them install a Modine Hot Dawg unit or a Reznor. This is a permanent unit. Should be 2-3 k.

If that not in the budget get a sunflower portable fish house heater. They make a 2 headed one that will heat up quickly.

3 rd choice would be a propane turbo unit. Don't get the kerosene one as they stink.

Im a HVAC contractor so let me know if you need any advise.

Super useful advice.  Thanks for the tips.  Now to decide how much to invest...

To heat up a 3 car garage just for a smoke is expensive both in terms of the mechanical equipment you'll need and the amount of energy it will take.

Besides the fact that you'll need to get it going in advance.

I bought this little portable ceramic heater that throws off a lot of btu for the money.  With the fan pointing in your direction - you'll stay remarkably warm during the course of your smoke in a 42 degree unheated garage: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dr-Infrared-Heater-Original-1500-Watt-Infrared-Portable-Space-Heater-with-Dual-Heating-System-DR968/205625429

Highly rated "Dr Infrared"..........works amazing and you just turn it on right before you're ready to use it....it's on the floor in front of the table.  I coupled that with a deluxe commercial air purification system the Airpura T600 - 26 pounds of activated charcoal which is sitting on the table.

garagebar.jpg

heater.jpg

• Like 1

The coolest way you can heat a garage since it's a three car is to buy a rear engine sports car, take it out for 30 min drive before smoking and return it to the garage.  Garage will stay warm for 2-3 hours the hood popped open.  My Lotus could heat the garage amazing well.

Another could be to just heat where you are sitting.  Like the cushions on the chairs with portable seat heater.

My bunker. I partitioned off about 1/3 of my single car garage, added 2 exhaust fans (one with flex duct to the outside) plug in heater, threw in a couple old lazyboy leather recliners, mounted a tv on the wall and have a sheltered retreat to enjoy cigars and watch the games in winter. I open the garage door about a foot to allow fresh air to circulate in. I will eventually put a door in and toss the moving blanket. 

20171110_084329.jpg.df4978b6847aa4bb06f9dfe956025a01.jpg20171110_084523.jpg.c56d24c930ec80312fbdb084153b822b.jpg20171110_084418.jpg.1a0a2af99f38842d30257c0ebbb0dda9.jpg20171110_084348.jpg.95a6bd22ede19f6263d1802e8ec8d414.jpg

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, TheFullMontecristo said:

My bunker. I partitioned off about 1/3 of my single car garage, added 2 exhaust fans (one with flex duct to the outside) plug in heater, threw in a couple old lazyboy leather recliners, mounted a tv on the wall and have a sheltered retreat to enjoy cigars and watch the games in winter. I open the garage door about a foot to allow fresh air to circulate in. I will eventually put a door in and toss the moving blanket. 

20171110_084329.jpg.df4978b6847aa4bb06f9dfe956025a01.jpg20171110_084523.jpg.c56d24c930ec80312fbdb084153b822b.jpg20171110_084418.jpg.1a0a2af99f38842d30257c0ebbb0dda9.jpg20171110_084348.jpg.95a6bd22ede19f6263d1802e8ec8d414.jpg

Nice setup 

2 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

How do all these thread posters give in so easily and just move their passion outside or in the garage?  The perfume of a Habanos in the house makes it a home...

EXACTLY!

How about, Get a new wife, girlfriend, partner? Or, kick her ass outside in the cold while you smoke inside?

I'm a big fan of infrared heat in a garage environment.  Whether it be electric or gas.

They will warm the surfaces around you, and that is what you want to feel.  Heat the mass (concrete, wood, metal, etc) not the air. 

Once the mass is warm, you'll have your own little Lotus engine. :)

• Like 1

On 11/10/2017 at 8:28 AM, BrightonCorgi said:

The coolest way you can heat a garage since it's a three car is to buy a rear engine sports car, take it out for 30 min drive before smoking and return it to the garage.  Garage will stay warm for 2-3 hours the hood popped open.  My Lotus could heat the garage amazing well.

Another could be to just heat where you are sitting.  Like the cushions on the chairs with portable seat heater.

Minus the rear engine sports car this has always been my go to move and it works great. I use a small space heater too if I want it really warm 

I picked up a gently used forced air electric furnace from someone converting to natural gas. Hung it on its side from the ceiling on brackets I made from black pipe, total investment $375 including a cheap thermostat for the wall. Heats a 2 car insulated garage to room temp in minutes.463e8252f7820f6eef5187593c2dde86.jpg. Not pretty but it works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Heating a 3-car garage space may get expensive. Would it be too out of budget to enclose one or even half of one car space with insulated drywall? A smoking lounge need only be about 8x8 to get a couple of chairs in there and a TV. Heating an 8x8 or 10x10 insulated space will be far more economical than heating an entire 3-car garage. It will also be easier to vent the smoke. 

I don't know the budget, but if you enclose a small section you may also be able to connect it to your home heating system - though I would not connect it to the air return. 

Electric floor heat.  You can have a chilly atmosphere but if your feet are warm the rest of you thinks it's balmy all over.

Since you're talking about a concrete slab, you'll want to put down a thin, padded, reflective insulated layer first.  Then layer on the electric pads.  Finally, top with a carpet remnant.  It will end up feeling like a super padded floor, but that's perfect.  Not good for rolling around an office chair, but great for slippers/stocking feet and a barca lounger.  Toss in an Austin Healy 3000 just back from a run around the neighborhood and you'll likely be having to leave the garage door up, even in Cleveland! :cigar: