Shorter Lusitanias

Just shared a Lusitanias with my boss in celebration of a job we landed...  he loved it! Of course I knew it wouldn't let down, however he is more inclined to shorter and mellow smokes. What do you guys recommend as a shorter smoke with a similar profile? Would that be the Partagas Shorts? Or perhaps another? 

If it must be a partagas then maybe you can go for a D4 which is rubosto or a D6 which is a shorter 20 minute version of the D4. Of course theres also the Partagas P2 which is slightly longer than the D4. Depends how long of a smoke they're looking for. All are great smokes with similar profile. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Then you can discard the Short.

I'd try a D4 with a bit of age (not a fresh one). But the complexity and progression of a good Lusi will be hard to find in a shorter cigar.

With some age on it, I actually think the Shorts can be somewhat comparable flavourwise, although they would of course lack the complexity and flavour progression. Lusis really are brilliant cigars.
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Loadz said:

If it must be a partagas then maybe you can go for a D4 which is rubosto or a D6 which is a shorter 20 minute version of the D4. Of course theres also the Partagas P2 which is slightly longer than the D4. Depends how long of a smoke they're looking for. All are great smokes with similar profile. Enjoy!

Not necessarily, it can be anything with a similar profile. Everyone may be right about not being able to reach that complexity though!

8 hours ago, stogieluver said:

I don't think I would want to spend the better part of 2 1/2 hours smoking a cigar with my boss.  Not that I don't like him, I just see enough of him during the day.  I would have picked a PLMC.  :rotfl:

I hear that!:rotfl: Luckily we are good longtime friends 

7 hours ago, TheMonk said:

With some age on it, I actually think the Shorts can be somewhat comparable flavourwise, although they would of course lack the complexity and flavour progression. Lusis really are brilliant cigars.

What kind of age are we talking on the D4 and the Shorts?

4 hours ago, dominattorney said:

Way shorter version would be bolivar coronal junior. I don't find them incredibly harsh when young, and Im always pleased by the flavor progression through to the end. Great 45 minute smoke for my taste. 

Interesting, haven't had one of these I'll have to try it. 

46 minutes ago, nsills said:

What kind of age are we talking on the D4 and the Shorts?

I don't necessarily agree that a D4 or a Short gets you into the same flavor territory as a Lusitania, but the D4 and the Short are both excellent cigars.  Flavor-wise the Shorts are arguably closer to a Lusitania.  You get the bread and nut flavors along with a pleasant spice kick.  The Shorts, however, are a stronger and more full bodied cigar than a Lusitania.  As far as age, I am currently smoking a 2013 box that is fabulous.  You can likely find Shorts (in dress boxes of 25) with a few years of age at little to no premium over current production.  

I haven't found the depth, richness and consistency that Lusi's bring in any other size or brand. They are my, personal, pinnacle of the cuban cigar. When really "on" I haven't found anything that can compete on a regular basis. I do greatly enjoy many others, but when I want to sit down and really focus on a special cigar, its always the Lusi. If there is a significantly smaller cigar that can regularly deliver the same complexity and development on a regular basis I am all ears!  

• Like 3

Although it's one extreme to another in terms of size and overall experience, I'd probably say a Partagas Short (w/ a min. of 12-months or so of age) would be as close as you could get to fresher Lusitania.

Figuratively, if you were able to rearrange the Lusitania by taking the first 50% of the 2/3 to start, added on the entire 1/3rd after that, then ended the cigar with the remaining 50% of the 2/3rd, you'd have what resembles a Short, in my own opinion.  It would have all the characteristics but without the complexity and finish of the Lusitania.

Just my 2-cents  

• 1 year later...

I was hoping to find a shorter format Lusi-like as well.  It's hard to dedicate such a large block of time on a regular basis. Thanks for all the leads. I guess this will be my quest for the year. 

Good luck with the mission, but I don't think you will find a suitable substitute. Lusis are beautiful and unique IMPO, and I haven't come across any Partagas or other branded cigars that produce a Lusis flavor profile. I have found some minimally similar large format cigars,  DCs and churchills, but nothing in smaller formats.

Please let me know, let all of us know, if you ever find a shorter substitute, I would love a bunch.  

On 2/11/2017 at 7:47 AM, stogieluver said:

I would have picked a PLMC

This is a great choice. It was on the tip of my tongue - what the profile reminded me of - for the longest time. I finally figured out it tasted to me like a chocolate and chile oil marinated well marbled steak.

On 2/11/2017 at 11:28 AM, dominattorney said:

Way shorter version would be bolivar coronas junior. I don't find them incredibly harsh when young, and Im always pleased by the flavor progression through to the end. Great 45 minute smoke for my taste. 

Not quite the same profile, but a fantastic choice indeed.

On 2/11/2017 at 4:51 PM, Corylax18 said:

I haven't found the depth, richness and consistency that Lusi's bring in any other size or brand. They are my, personal, pinnacle of the cuban cigar. When really "on" I haven't found anything that can compete on a regular basis. I do greatly enjoy many others, but when I want to sit down and really focus on a special cigar, its always the Lusi. If there is a significantly smaller cigar that can regularly deliver the same complexity and development on a regular basis I am all ears!  

Not significantly smaller, but the party 898 is very similar to my palate, in terms of profile and complexity. Fuller bodied when  young, but very subtly delicious with age on them.

On 2/11/2017 at 5:26 PM, ajgagnon said:

Try the Ron Allones Specially Selected or Partagas 898. Or, milder, a Punch Punch. Or a Por Larranaga Petit Corona (bold). As said above, The Partagas P2 is also amazing. So many great choices.

+1 for the 898

On 2/11/2017 at 8:40 PM, BrightonCorgi said:

Just buy whatever that looks nice in the size he likes.  He'll like that one just as much...

This is a wise sentiment. There are a lot of good cigars. I guarantee that a lusi won't be the only flavor profile he'll enjoy.

On 2/12/2017 at 5:04 AM, NSXCIGAR said:

Lusitanias have a unique blend IMO, and of course there's no duplicating the flavor progression and complexity of a Prominentes, so it's going to be tough to find a substitute, especially in a smaller package. I just don't think you're going to find anything with a "similar profile".

Instead, I think that you should try and find something different but in the same vein, which many of the above suggestions are. In particular, a PSD4 w/ 3+ years of age or a RASS might fit the bill. I do think the Shorts are worth a try, but I just think it's very difficult to compare a Minutos to a Prominentes, although MRN did compare the RASCC to the RAG.

Also, don't discount some of the smaller Partagas offerings which have reportedly been quite good lately. I'd avoid the Aristocrats and Super Partagas as they are typically quite strong, but the Mille Fleurs, Petit Coronas Especiales or the Habaneros may get you some similar flavors. I haven't had any of those recently, so I can't confirm it. But it's a possibility. 

This. You just can't make a yorkie into a great dane. A minuto will never develop the way a prominente does. That's not to say it's bad. It's just different.

I've had recent production habaneros. They were far more full bodied than a lusi, to me.

---

Long story short - only a lusi is a lusi. Keep trying other stuff with him. As long as you get good cigars, you'll probably like all of them for their own individual merits. Save the prominentes for the special occasions. Each cigar/vitola has its own special purpose for me. I like to smoke certain cigars when my palate is in certain conditions, or the weather is just so, or I have a certain beverage I'd like to pair with, etc etc.

• Like 1

Although I have not tried Lusis yet, I would like to suggest that you try Shorts as others suggested despite it might not be complex as Lusis due to its short length.

Sent from my SHV-E300S using Tapatalk

Since he likes things mellower than a Lusi, a PSD 4 at 3-5 years old would be a pretty safe guess.  Also if you have any of the Partagas Anejados that's a Corona Gorda and a nice, well melded smoke.  In general, if you need a shorter smoke I'd adhere to the rule of only smoking a longer cigar halfway rather than nubbing something short.  I know a lot of us nub them, but for an occasional smoker that last 3rd can be (IMHO) where most of the harshness lies.