The Ark has landed

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I posted picks of the humidor I've been building in my workshop before and someone called it the Ark because of it's size (about 36 cubic feet). My wife loved the name so it's stuck. I've been working

Now go forth and fill thine ark, gathering every kind of marca and vitola known to mankind, two by two, both wild and tame, to keep their progeny from being wiped off the face of the earth.

Looking good. Very nice work on the book matching.

5 hours ago, Fugu said:

What a beautiful piece, Ash! I really like the slightly understated, pure and classic form in unit with the great wood surfaces and the little fancy inlay, just so nice! Have to  :clap::2thumbs::clap:

Great craftmanship (I have to say with envy)! I wonder, you did the board resawing and bookmatching and the verneer cutting all by yourself? Must own a well equipped workshop. Are you a Pro?

Thanks for the complements.  I'm just a practiced amateur.  I build for myself and family and friends.  Been doing this for the last 30 years with plenty of disasters along the way!   For the veneer, I ordered it from a supplier as a "flitch" which is sequential slices from the same log so that you have a series of identical pieces in a "book". Flip open the top piece and it becomes the mirror image of the next.  My contribution was joining those two edges together seemlessly and then using my vacuum veneer press to glue them to a MDF substrate.  It's tedious but rewarding because you can get some very unusual and beautiful types of woods in veneers that you can rarely find whole boards of.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rhino said:

That is one of the most impressive things I've seen someone build in awhile. How long was the process from beginning to end? Where did you get the interior Spanish cedar from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.  I often wonder how long it takes me for some of these big projects because I rarely track my time.  I started it last summer, took a long vacation in September then worked on it through Thanksgiving when I had to take a break to have my knees fixed. I only do it on the weekends since I have a real job to support a few bad habits I have.   All told I guess I have 200+ hours in the project.  

I've got a local lumber supplier that has an excellent selection of hardwoods including a good stash of Spanish Cedar.  

13 hours ago, CigarAsh said:

Thanks for the complements.  I'm just a practiced amateur.  I build for myself and family and friends.  Been doing this for the last 30 years with plenty of disasters along the way!   For the veneer, I ordered it from a supplier as a "flitch" which is sequential slices from the same log so that you have a series of identical pieces in a "book". Flip open the top piece and it becomes the mirror image of the next.  My contribution was joining those two edges together seemlessly and then using my vacuum veneer press to glue them to a MDF substrate.  It's tedious but rewarding because you can get some very unusual and beautiful types of woods in veneers that you can rarely find whole boards of.  

Great - thanks for the insight! Very well done!

• 3 months later...
On 1/29/2017 at 6:12 PM, BarryNY said:

WOW............gorgeous!  What part of the house is that big boy hanging out in?  

That's an awful large quantity of spanish cedar you've incorporated...did you happen to discuss that feature with Bob S? 

We talked about how he primarily uses solid spanish cedar in his Aristocrats only for the shelves and drawers - his interior walls are all done in a veneer material that doesn't impart much aroma.  He also told me that too much spanish cedar could potentially be overkill - and actually have a detrimental effect on the flavor of the cigars.

Something to watch out for and consider as you get more comfortable with the cabinet.

Hey Barry any insight on some specifics to the veneer Bob uses in his humidors? Im doing some research before starting a build of my own and trying to soak up all the info I can

12 hours ago, BMWBen said:

Hey Barry any insight on some specifics to the veneer Bob uses in his humidors? Im doing some research before starting a build of my own and trying to soak up all the info I can

Yes.  He uses 1/4" spanish cedar veneer.  You can get from him but shipping is expensive for 4'x8' sheets or try to find locally.  Figure $75/board.

• Like 1

On January 30, 2017 at 8:45 AM, CigarAsh said:

Forgot it also includes the 2 little fans mounted at the top of the cabinet. They're set by controller to cycle for one minute every 20 minutes, even if humidifiers don't need to run. 

Now that's an item I could use in my icebox humidor.  Don't need that fan to run constantly. One or two minutes q20 minute sounds about perfect.  I need to look into that....

Unbelievable!! Great job, she is gorgeuous.  Bob might be sending you a job application here soon with skills like that.  How much does it weigh!?  Gonna have to make sure that son helps you move the ark as his last chore before moving out!!!

53 minutes ago, UnkleBead said:

Fantastic work!! And holy RASS batman 

Amazingly enough, with all the Ramone Allones in that picture, there's not a single RASS. All Club Allones, Superiores, and Small Club Coronas.  I got a little carried away for a few months there on the RA buys.  

13 minutes ago, jsavoie88 said:

Fantastic workmanship! Truly impressive.

Now that the ark is built, for the sake of saving all cigars for our future enjoyment, you must fill it up 2 boxes of each vitola until you have 2 of everything.

You read my mind.  Other than a few hoarding problems I have for a couple of cigars, I'm trying Rob's theory of one box to smoke and one to age.  My wife is struggling with that concept for some reason.  

• Like 1

Extremely impressive. I can barely hang a picture on the wall without breaking something and losing my patience. Hats off to you and congrats. Very nice!