The Noob Thread I Never Read.. On Cuban Cigars..

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's the advice I never received when I started this journey over 10 years ago... Ready?   On Buying Your Cigars  1. "There really is no cigar better than the other." There, I said it. Ok,

I was actually just thinking about how right you are about this post: At any time, any cigar might be the best cigar coming out of Cuba. There is no cigar or brand that is consistently at the t

Just scratching my own itch. I remember years ago, early 2000's I spent a bunch of time on the C.A. Forum. So much elitism and dogma, so little actionable information (read ? ?). FOH is awesome. Thank

18 minutes ago, Ethernut said:

Update 9/24/16

1. Added a section on Aging Cigars (..and I drew ya some pictures).
  2. Beginning the Q&A Section.. 

Someone else had posted the other day about wanting to buy a box of 2012 cigars and smoking one per year. I think that he was more concerned with date than marca. I would completely agree with you that especially now, I don't think that the blends improve with age as perhaps they did in the 70's and 80's. They are much more approachable younger now. I asked Rob that very question in the other thread earlier today but he has not responded yet. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bohn007 said:

Someone else had posted the other day about wanting to buy a box of 2012 cigars and smoking one per year. I think that he was more concerned with date than marca. I would completely agree with you that especially now, I don't think that the blends improve with age as perhaps they did in the 70's and 80's. They are much more approachable younger now. I asked Rob that very question in the other thread earlier today but he has not responded yet. 

I maintain that Rob has a secret code (just kidding) that's most evident in 24:24 descriptions. He'll use words like "gorge on these" which means, they are at their peak now, dont lay them down or you're likely to lose something. Or he'll say "lay these down to allow the cream to build." I'm actually developing a post on his descriptive phenomenon. But rooted in his descriptions is the truth that some are ready now and some need time.  

• Like 2

This is a phenomenal thread! Not sure how I missed it a few months back. Tons of great information for someone like myself, that is on the newer side of Habanos. Your descriptions and advice are to a T. Its the roller coaster part of the hobby that keeps me interested and its a blast. As the ride goes you experience different blends some great, some bad. I have found that aged cigars do help smooth the experience and bring out the nuanced flavors but have the downside of being expensive. Just wanted to say thanks to the forum for providing such valuable content that keeps the ride alive to find the perfect smoke.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, strikethebox7 said:

This is a phenomenal thread! Not sure how I missed it a few months back. Tons of great information for someone like myself, that is on the newer side of Habanos. Your descriptions and advice are to a T. Its the roller coaster part of the hobby that keeps me interested and its a blast. As the ride goes you experience different blends some great, some bad. I have found that aged cigars do help smooth the experience and bring out the nuanced flavors but have the downside of being expensive. Just wanted to say thanks to the forum for providing such valuable content that keeps the ride alive to find the perfect smoke.

So glad it struck a cord my brother. I'm simply scratching my own itch because no-one told me all of this in one place. 10 years and tens of thousands of dollars later, these are things I know to be true. Happy to answer anything you may have sir! Cheers!

• Like 1

I was thinking of starting a noob thread for myself so this bump couldn't be better timed!  I have a lot of questions but I'll trickle them in.  First things first...

Limited Edition and Regional releases.  Remove the scarcity and collectable nature of these cigars.  Is there something that sets them apart from the regular lineup produced?  Is the tobacco, in any way, of a higher "quality" from the regular lineup?  Or just unique vitolas in some cases?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Westside Threat said:

I was thinking of starting a noob thread for myself so this bump couldn't be better timed!  I have a lot of questions but I'll trickle them in.  First things first...

Limited Edition and Regional releases.  Remove the scarcity and collectable nature of these cigars.  Is there something that sets them apart from the regular lineup produced?  Is the tobacco, in any way, of a higher "quality" from the regular lineup?  Or just unique vitolas in some cases?

Please do! Trickle them on in!

OK, sigh, on the regional releases... Man, I don't buy them as a practice. I've smoked many and have had amazing LE/RE's and have had utter stinkers. .....but it's exactly the same with regular production releases. I don't find their quality to guarantee my experience. The closest thing that I've ever found that increases the probability of my experience has been to trust Rob Ayala's (El Presidente) recommendations. I'm not into gambling.

If you can afford LE/RE's and can assume the risk you don't get an expensive box of stinkers, then buy them by all means. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ethernut said:

my experience has been to trust Rob Ayala's (El Presidente) recommendations

In Rob we trust, the man knows how to pick cigars.  Currently blazing up a NOV15 Connie A he recommended and it is money. @Westside Threat  Take Ether's advice and pay close attention to Rob's notes in 24:24.  If the description appeals to you, you should be golden.  Just don't wait too long to press send on the email, stuff that is in demand goes in minutes and sometimes seconds.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Ethernut said:

OK, sigh, on the regional releases... Man, I don't buy them as a practice. I've smoked many and have had amazing LE/RE's and have had utter stinkers. .....but it's exactly the same with regular production releases. I don't find their quality to guarantee my experience. The closest thing that I've ever found that increases the probability of my experience has been to trust Rob Ayala's (El Presidente) recommendations. I'm not into gambling.

If you can afford LE/RE's and can assume the risk you don't get an expensive box of stinkers, then buy them by all means. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. Hope this helps!

I completely agree with this. Not like it matters. @Ethernut is a tremendous contributor to the community. I was just talking to someone else about this earlier today. As I have dove headfirst back into the "hobby" after a 12 year break from purchases, I have had some great EL's but find myself gravitating back more and more to standard production smokes. Some EL's are amazing and I have bought many. Be careful though, most are no better and in many cases, half the cigar for twice the money compared to the regular smokes. Just my thoughts, IMHO, spend your money first on figuring out what you really like as far as marcas and vitolas for standard cigars, then take advantage of the forum and other resources to read about the regionals and EL's before buying. For example, the Trinidad Topes were on sale today. A few months ago, as a fan of Trinidad, I would have been all over it. Today, as a more educated smoker, I did not buy. Nothing wrong with those that want to be the first on the block to try a particular smoke, but I am picking my spots much more carefully these days. Now I am going to relight my Hoyo Epicure #2 that went out as I typed this.............

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Westside Threat said:

Aren't the wrappers are aged a bit longer, and cured to a darker shade? Not sure if the filler/binders are any different.

Personally, I avoid them because of the cost and I don't want to fall in love with a cigar that won't be around for too much longer. I'm also in the phase that Bohn talks about above, trying a lot of different regular productions to figure out what I like. That's just me, though, and a reflection of where I'm at as a consumer. If I was in a different place, economically, I would probably try more of them.

• Like 2

Never underestimate the Brotherhood of the Leaf. There are many great folks around here and everywhere for that matter that would love to do a swap for some stogies. If you want to try an RE before you buy, ask around.
My #1 and #3 smokes this year came from a generous Colorado BOTL. A 100 point LGC MDO#4 (OMG!!!) and an SLR Inca.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Another one! Awesome post(s) Ethernut and everyone. Thank you, all. 

• Like 1

having smoked Cuban cigars for 10 years as well I can easily relate to this great article which I agree to everything that was written ive had a lot of 2015 boxes that are smoking a lot better than 2006-2009s its definitely more a noob thing to go all nuts over a so called aged box, but everything under 2005 in my opinion that I have is just an amazing experience it definitely varies BUT! never discount ROTT smokes

• Like 1

Thanks to Ethernet for taking the time to put all this down. I hope every newer aficionado that finds FOH, reads and takes some of these pointers into consideration in their new found hobby. Well done sir!

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Huge thanks to  Ethernet for putting this together, and for all the other responders with comments. I wish I had found this forum a few years back! While only recently have I gotten seriously into CCs, there sure is a lot of poor info out and about. I have learned SO MUCH here in the very short time I have been here, so very thankful for that. The 2 biggest by far are dropping the RH, and taking time to smoke slowly, these 2 have really made it a more enjoyable experience. While I doubt due to cost I'll ever get my collection any where near to the size of some on here, its still a great place to hang out. I just hope I'm not missing out on much, by my collection being young, probably most around 9months to 1.5 years old.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BellevilleMXZ said:

Huge thanks to  Ethernet for putting this together, and for all the other responders with comments. I wish I had found this forum a few years back! While only recently have I gotten seriously into CCs, there sure is a lot of poor info out and about. I have learned SO MUCH here in the very short time I have been here, so very thankful for that. The 2 biggest by far are dropping the RH, and taking time to smoke slowly, these 2 have really made it a more enjoyable experience. While I doubt due to cost I'll ever get my collection any where near to the size of some on here, its still a great place to hang out. I just hope I'm not missing out on much, by my collection being young, probably most around 9months to 1.5 years old.

I could have typed that. 

Also I agree that its hard while with keeping spending within check to buy enough to smoke enough to age enough...!

I'm trying to get the age of my collection up for future smoking as well.  We're going to need a bigger boat!

Quot+you+re+going+to+need+a+bigger+boat+quot+_7739a684504612ee7e47552531dc2981.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SaintMickey® said:

I could have typed that. 

Also I agree that its hard while with keeping spending within check to buy enough to smoke enough to age enough...!

I'm trying to get the age of my collection up for future smoking as well.  We're going to need a bigger boat!

Quot+you+re+going+to+need+a+bigger+boat+quot+_7739a684504612ee7e47552531dc2981.jpg

Glad to see i'm not the only one in this boat, so to speak!  And I've got a boat, so no wonder i'm short on CC $$ ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BellevilleMXZ said:

So glad something of my experience is helpful. I've spent a LOT of money to gain the experience and talked to a great many wonderful and helpful folks. Common themes began to emerge from the whispers of the knowledgeable.. I just had to put it all together. I'm a pragmatic person and frankly, this thread wouldn't survive on some of the other Cigar forums due to its, say, blunt nature. Cheers gents. Give a shout if you need anything...

• Like 1