The Noob Thread I Never Read.. On Cuban Cigars..

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's the advice I never received when I started this journey over 10 years ago... Ready?   On Buying Your Cigars  1. "There really is no cigar better than the other." There, I said it. Ok,

I was actually just thinking about how right you are about this post: At any time, any cigar might be the best cigar coming out of Cuba. There is no cigar or brand that is consistently at the t

Just scratching my own itch. I remember years ago, early 2000's I spent a bunch of time on the C.A. Forum. So much elitism and dogma, so little actionable information (read ? ?). FOH is awesome. Thank

On 09/11/2016 at 11:19 AM, Ethernut said:

Smoking your Cigars....

Keep the relative Humidity between 60% and 65%. Rob likes low to mid 60's RH for the Cigars he's smoking in the near-term and higher for Cigars that he's aging.

Hey Ethernut thanks for the  time and effort put into this post.  This kind of advice is what us noobs are all trawling for. I have to say the advice that made the biggest difference to me so far was getting rH down to the low 60s and dryboxing. It really opened up the CCs in my modest collection.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread  and bumping it for new folks like me who haven't read Ethernut's teachings.

Thank you Ethernut for sharing your experience and wisdom.

Cheers brother.

• Like 2

And if you happen to come across a vintage box from 2001 on The Internet , for the love of all that's holy, don't get all excited and impulsively pull the trigger! This happened with errrr....*ahem*...a "friend of mine" and he ended up with an expensive box of kindling! :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Great post with some great advices Ethernut!   :2thumbs:

After 11 years of cigar smoking (still a noob) I have two mottos I always fall back on:

"Always buy more cigars than you smoke" & "Relax. It´s just a piece of rolled up tobacco leafs in your hand".

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just found this thread after searching for aficionado on this forum. This is really good information. Some ideas on topics for new guys like myself and finding it difficult on correct answers which I know some of those correct answers are just people's opinions (like above stating no one can tell you what you like to smoke). 

1) Lighting techniques: torching vs slow marshmallow lighting 

2) How do I check my box for plugged cigars?

3) Should I put my box of cigars in the freezer?

4) What is dry boxing and why should I consider this for my cigars before smoking them?

5) Are there any years for aged cigars a new person should stay away from? Was there a period in the CC world that has proven to not be worth the money for an aged box?

Thank you for putting this together. 

4 hours ago, CrankYanker said:

I just found this thread after searching for aficionado on this forum. This is really good information. Some ideas on topics for new guys like myself and finding it difficult on correct answers which I know some of those correct answers are just people's opinions (like above stating no one can tell you what you like to smoke). 

1) Lighting techniques: torching vs slow marshmallow lighting 

2) How do I check my box for plugged cigars?

3) Should I put my box of cigars in the freezer?

4) What is dry boxing and why should I consider this for my cigars before smoking them?

5) Are there any years for aged cigars a new person should stay away from? Was there a period in the CC world that has proven to not be worth the money for an aged box?

Thank you for putting this together. 

1. Toast the end, don't put the jet flame to it, you'll just end up overheating the cigar.

2. Smoke them. :P Or you can feel along the cigar and look for hard spots.

3. Doesn't hurt, especially if they have been traveling or are customs.

4. Lower the RH of the cigar to improve draw, burn, and in some cases, flavour.

5. Don't bother if you are new to the game.

My opinions only.

1 hour ago, Fuzz said:

1. Toast the end, don't put the jet flame to it, you'll just end up overheating the cigar.

2. Smoke them. :P Or you can feel along the cigar and look for hard spots.

3. Doesn't hurt, especially if they have been traveling or are customs.

4. Lower the RH of the cigar to improve draw, burn, and in some cases, flavour.

5. Don't bother if you are new to the game.

My opinions only.

Thanks for the answers.  These are just my thoughts as becoming a newer person into the CC game.  I have my questions answered through research and talking with other members.  I was just giving some ideas for some other write-ups at the start of this post :) 

On the 5th one.....It should be talked about especially for newer people so they do not make the mistake....

7 hours ago, CrankYanker said:

Thanks for the answers.  These are just my thoughts as becoming a newer person into the CC game.  I have my questions answered through research and talking with other members.  I was just giving some ideas for some other write-ups at the start of this post :) 

On the 5th one.....It should be talked about especially for newer people so they do not make the mistake....

All too happy to add your suggestions! Please add any detail you may feel pertinent. So glad you found value in the post!

• 3 months later...
On 9/10/2016 at 10:16 PM, lafabrica said:

much of this is great info - we all purchase cigars that we get pissed at.

and the final paragraph about smoking slowly/not overheating is true.  i've had conversations with fellow brothers and it has surprised me that some have never heard/thought of purging.

Circling back on this.. one thing I’ve noticed is it’s possible to over purge. I’ve done it and made the body of the cigar too moist. Then I start having burn and flavor issues. Gotta be careful with the purge for sure, but it’s still important and I use it a few times nearly every smoke when perhaps I’ve over heated/puffed. Cheers mate!

Just came across this post, thank you all for the great wisdom. Having just fallen into the deep end with CCs a year ago, I find myself falling all to often into the hype chasing LEs and REs instead of just following what I truly enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thank you very much, Erhernut, it took some time to go over all of it but it is very useful and enlightening. Thanks everyone for all your effort put into this thread.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eg133 said:

Just came across this post, thank you all for the great wisdom. Having just fallen into the deep end with CCs a year ago, I find myself falling all to often into the hype chasing LEs and REs instead of just following what I truly enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear ya, we’ve all been there. These days of the approx 2,000ish cigars I have in my humi, exactly zero of them are LE’s. Oh there may be one or two singles if I dig deep gifted or traded by another kind brother of the leaf. But none I’ve spent money on. Funny huh? ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Romka said:

Thank you very much, Erhernut, it took some time to go over all of it but it is very useful and enlightening. Thanks everyone for all your effort put into this thread.

Hope it’s helpful. Cheers mate!