The Noob Thread I Never Read.. On Cuban Cigars..

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's the advice I never received when I started this journey over 10 years ago... Ready?   On Buying Your Cigars  1. "There really is no cigar better than the other." There, I said it. Ok,

I was actually just thinking about how right you are about this post: At any time, any cigar might be the best cigar coming out of Cuba. There is no cigar or brand that is consistently at the t

Just scratching my own itch. I remember years ago, early 2000's I spent a bunch of time on the C.A. Forum. So much elitism and dogma, so little actionable information (read ? ?). FOH is awesome. Thank

6 minutes ago, Bohn007 said:

You neglected to mention to not only to puff slowly but to also purchase boxes slowly. ?

You are so right! Two edged sword aside from the obvious comedic bent to your response. ?

On one hand, a person gets excited and buys a bunch that may or may not be good, or more specifically to their palate. On the oher hand, that person has blown a crap-ton of cash and has no idea how their experience will be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vladdraq said:

@Ethernutwhat about Cohibas famous third fermentation? Is this a myth? Aged cigars tend to have a very similar profile imho. Is ageing in fact a very slow third fermentation?

I don't have an adequate answer for this, hopefully someone will jump in! I'll wait with bated breath!

3 hours ago, Waah954 said:

Good information.
I have a problem with taking a single puff cause my lungs are use to taking 2 puffs, one smaller and a larger.
I tried taking one single bigger draw however my lungs don't allow it.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

You're inhaling your cigars?

Just now, Waah954 said:

Noooo just cant drag much smoke on the first puff.

Might need to drop the humidity if they are too wet and not staying lit.

3 hours ago, Waah954 said:

Got it at 65-67 atm will give it a try with a lower setting.

Try 60  and see if you notice a difference in taste and burn.  Depending on how much stock you have in your humi, it may take a while (weeks) for the sticks to fully acclimate and dry to that level internally, so be patient and I think you'll like the results.   

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, stogieluver said:

Try 60  and see if you notice a difference in taste and burn.  Depending on how much stock you have in your humi, it may take a while (weeks) for the sticks to fully acclimate and dry to that level internally, so be patient and I think you'll like the results.   

Uffff. You are saying you will like it :) But you don't write that what I will like? There will be more flavour? Intense flavour? Rounder flavour? Subtle flavour? Less flavour? What I will like other than burn at 60?????? Please write it! Everyone writes something without differences in flavour. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, agulerer said:

Uffff. You are saying you will like it :) But you don't write that what I will like? There will be more flavour? Intense flavour? Rounder flavour? Subtle flavour? Less flavour? What I will like other than burn at 60?????? Please write it! Everyone writes something without differences in flavour. 

@stogieluver was simply trying to say that, those of us that have been doing this a while have eventually settled on much lower RH than when we started. You dont have to take your entire humi to 60. Dry box a few of them with a hygrometer. Stabilize the box on 60-62RH for a few weeks then test them. Keep in mind point 2 in the original post above. No one can tell you what you will like, I find personally that when the labels are just starting to get a little loose, they tend to smoke much better. From a flavor perspective having less moisture in the stick tends to reduce the "steam" and increases the tobacco when you draw and thus, at least for me, you get "more" of what that cigar has to offer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ethernut said:

@Ken Gargett, I'm pulling this post from the "Newbie a bit overwhelmed... breakdown appreciated" thread as I believe my response to you is more relevant in this one.. Hope ya dont mind my friend!

I've had many great Cohiba's, and I don't want folks to misunderstand me on that point. In my current stock I have, I think, just about everything Cohiba offers save LE's and Behike. I *like*/*love* Cohiba. ...Since they are quite the tall blade of grass though, I'm simply using Cohiba as an example to illustrate a point. This post/approach is pragmatically geared toward Noobs and IMHO, the more expensive sticks early on, probably make less sense for the first purchases. When looking at Robs hit-list in his Sampler Contents thread Cohiba is only listed once out of (by my count) 70 different cigars. Cohiba Robusto is listed once in his current rotation which means (to me) that the examples he's getting right now represent something noteworthy. 

The Esplendito I bought that I had a bad experience with was in the days when I didn't have much money. Honestly I shouldn't have spent the money at that time. (That ever happen to anyone?) Buying that one stick hurt, but everyone was RAVING MAD about them and thus I wanted to know what the cacophony was about. To get in on the secret, to ride the coattails, to know what the best was. I remember the feeling, shortly after lighting the stick, expecting to experience nirvana and the disappointment. The remorse. The instant revelation that my value equation failed and I just set a bunch of money on fire that really needed. Dumba** me. That hurt. That really kindled the fire that I couldn't trust the squawking seagull masses. Which created a new question which was, "Then who can I trust?"At this point I think I've nailed that equation about as well as possible. I simply create a relationship with a tobacconist, an expert vetted by years of honesty and consistency and I think we have the best in the world full throttle.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply and you are correct, I simply want to give the new guys a better decision making equation than I had. That's my only goal. Could you imagine my original post on C.A.? Oh GOOD LORD the whiney d-bag, man-hissy freakout that would occur, I would be vilified, insulted, my family insulted, arson at my house, my tires slashed and would be run out on rails. ^^^^^all of these responses above this post^^^^^ is what makes FOH so amazing. Good mates having great conversation. Just. Love. This. Place.

-E  

you are more than welcome to do with it as you wish.

i reckon if we put up a list of every cuban, there would be some on the forum who love them and some who do not. a good thing.

although perhaps not the monte opens and those dire Monte C LEs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PigFish said:

Great post my friend. I have said many similar things over many years of posting about cigars.

I would add one thing if I wrote this. And it has to do with vitola. I do believe that some sizes of cigars, mostly ring gauge related, represent a cross section easiest for the average smoker to smoke from. This means that the average smoker, with the displacement of his puff can generally get the best or total combustion of the tobacco. It is just a pet theory of mine. Certain rings, for me thinner rings are easier to smoke and taste better (MHO).

Furthermore, as cigars get beyond a certain size, the blends get washed out, or diluted with too much filler, and therefore too much dead smoke verses 'live' (meaning more tasty smoke). Just another theory...

Lastly... In general, there is almost always enough of the correct mix of products (tobacco) for the smaller cigar. Smaller cigars I find to be more consistently good. I am not going to a comment about how they adhere to a 'profile' because I don't believe in it.

That theory does make sense, but then how have we gotten so consistently good Lusis these past years, and superb cigars like the huge Mag56?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PigFish said:

Okay, I have to say it... Percent Moisture Content is reliant on two numbers; rH and temperature. PMC is the single biggest factor beyond how a cigar is made to how it tastes. The better you have control over PMC, the one thing in your power as humidor administrator, the better your smoking experiences will be overall.

Thanks for sharing your enlightening post... -the Pig

Can't be said enough. One of my first boxes of Cuban cigars was MC#2. So moist they wouldn't stay lit. For a long time I confused age with proper humidity (PMC) because wet cigars are bitter. Someone told me to dry them out until the bands are loose enough to slide off of the cigar easily. Primitive but effective.

• Like 2