How you light your cigar

Lighting a Cigar  

299 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think it would be interesting to find out who is using what! Especially as I am planning to switch from ordinary butane lighters to a butane torch. smile.png

EDIT: I changed it to allow more than one option.

EDIT: Added definition for Butane Torch.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I use only the finest striking steel and a Randall made knife to create a spark to set fire to three or four small slivers of cedar shavings sitting in a small clean silver chalice. Once this is afla

A flaming cat always works for me. After a few years the burning hair smell is not even noticable. And you can get them for free!

Torch, nothing else works on the golf course.

Everything but a Zippo. Mostly butane lighters with soft flame.

Car actually has an electric cigar lighter in it. You don't see that so often these days.....

• Like 1

Car actually has an electric cigar lighter in it. You don't see that so often these days.....

Yeah that's true. I have an old car luckily, but I never use that lighter for some reason. In fact when I bought the car, the lighter wasn't working, so I bought an original replacement lol. Even though I don't use it, I want it working!!!

Triple flame butane lighter, works in any conditions to be found in the UK (and we do love a bit of weather). If camping, a stick from the fire just because it feels right somehow.

• Like 1

I used to use torches exclusively (dual flame to be exact), but after watching The Dr Joe Show I started using matches exclusively or soft flame, and only use torches for when I'm outside or to do touch ups

• Like 1

80% jet butane torch lighter

20% soft flame butane lighter

More important than the tool though, I like to fully toast my cigars until they light...never taking a puff while the fire is on the cigar.

• Like 3

A flaming cat always works for me.

After a few years the burning hair smell is not even noticable.

And you can get them for free!

I too enjoy the flaming cat light, but they've become such a burden to carry around in one's pocket. First off, most cat's won't fit in your pocket and invariably when you find one that will, it's the sort of cat that likes to scratch at anything it can find dangling. I used to deal with the dangly problem by putting the cat in my back pocket, but then one day I forgot all about the cat and sat down and, well, no more cat. So after that I abandoned the tradition and went with a soft flame Dunhill backed up with an Iroda for outdoors or travel.

• Like 2

I answered torch, but I might be confused with the difference between "jet" and "torch". Google searches seem to return similar products for both terms.

The butane torch is more like a large desktop version of a jet/turbo lighter. It's marketed more towards people wanting to light a fire outdoors, or make their creme brulee at home lol. It's almost like a blow torch. With a very large reservoir.

Seems like I should have made it clearer though, because I think some people who use a jet lighter have chosen butane torch. My mistake.

Turbo Lighters: https://www.google.com/search?q=%22turbo+lighter%22&num=100&lr=&safe=images&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiE-IrGguLKAhVCdQ8KHfk8ApUQ_AUICCgC&biw=1431&bih=1041

Butane Torches: https://www.google.com/search?q=%22butane+torch%22&num=100&lr=&safe=images&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi5xOzxguLKAhVEFQ8KHT8zCQ4Q_AUICCgC&biw=1431&bih=1041

Edit: Links added for clarification. I have also added a definition on the poll. Although on reflection, it might be that 'Butane torch' is, strictly speaking, a blowtorch that uses butane, and 'jet lighter' or 'turbo lighter' is just a marketing term that has come about to describe very small butane torches. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

• Like 1