How you light your cigar

Lighting a Cigar  

299 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I use only the finest striking steel and a Randall made knife to create a spark to set fire to three or four small slivers of cedar shavings sitting in a small clean silver chalice. Once this is afla

A flaming cat always works for me. After a few years the burning hair smell is not even noticable. And you can get them for free!

Torch, nothing else works on the golf course.

Generally either matches or a torch kin to a creme brûlée torch. Got it as part of a gas soldering kit, and a second from my pyro guys. When in doubt I have 20 meter flame heads at my disposal.

Initial toast from a couple inches from the the foot, couple second rest, repeat the toast until I can see a nice ember forming, exhale on the ember to ensure uniform light, couple light draws from the cigar, one last check for a uniform light, then puff away.

i use a butane single flame torch, but really anything will do except lighter fluid, that stuff has a nasty smell to it.

If I'm indoors I always like trying to use my soft flame Xikar, but if there's any wind at all outdoors I use a torch. Single flame for smaller ring gauges, triple flame for larger. Around 46 ring gauge and under gets the single flame, triple for any bigger than that because I get a more even burn more easily.

• Like 1

Great input and much appreciated thumbsup.gif

I should have stated yesterday that existing FOH logo will continue on. New logo will work alongside it particularly for Tshirts etc. So in effect you will have a choice.

Love the existing logo and it is going nowhere biggrin.png

• Like 2

Ok, so we've established that Jet/Turbo lighters are the clear winner here! :)

Out of all you guys who use this type of lighter, how many of you are careful to use the highly-refined butane, and how many just fill your lighter with any butane gas that is available? I have read warnings that using any gas that has an impurity content above 50 parts per million can cause permanent damage to the lighter, and that only certain brands refine their butane to this level. I have been using Ronson gas for a while now in my clippers (bought two dozen cans dirt cheap), and apparently this brand is not highly refined!

Has anyone noticed any problems with using cheaper gas in their Jet/Turbo?

• 1 month later...

Ok, so we've established that Jet/Turbo lighters are the clear winner here! smile.png

Out of all you guys who use this type of lighter, how many of you are careful to use the highly-refined butane, and how many just fill your lighter with any butane gas that is available? I have read warnings that using any gas that has an impurity content above 50 parts per million can cause permanent damage to the lighter, and that only certain brands refine their butane to this level. I have been using Ronson gas for a while now in my clippers (bought two dozen cans dirt cheap), and apparently this brand is not highly refined!

Has anyone noticed any problems with using cheaper gas in their Jet/Turbo?

I just buy what is available here and never had a problem. Used 3 different brands and no issues.

• Like 1

Just an update on these:

Here's what I've picked up to try....they haven't arrived yet:

post-28941-0-80442600-1458489216_thumb.j

A cheap one from Amazon that had good reviews:

What a load of rubbish! This stopped working properly after I refilled it. The flame barely reaches 5mm now, way too small to be useful, and not wind-resistant in any way. Unless you find yourself locked in a wardrobe, and need to light a Joyita, you won't use it. This one is definitely going in the bin, and I might even stamp on it a few times first - just for good measure.

An 'honest' butane torch (saw a video on YouTube):

post-28941-0-41041400-1458489194_thumb.j

Although anyone calling themselves honest is bound to be a liar lol.

Well, they weren't lying! This is a great lighter. It produces a large, reliable jet, and is perfect for using outside. The reservoir is quite large and provides a good run time. I paid around £9 for the first one, but then found it on eBay for only £2.87. Obviously there are 6 more on the way, just to have around the place. smile.png

The optional 'soft flame' is another good feature of this lighter. The only downside is that the adjustment to the flame size is very limited. Although it has a setting for strength, if you set it either very high or very low, it won't work. This just means, that if you want to light a smaller ring gauged cigar, you need to hold the torch quite far away!

Still, highly recommeded - especially at the price.

It's called the 'Honest 503' Torch - here are some more pics:

post-28941-0-76796900-1458489260_thumb.jpost-28941-0-37470600-1458489261_thumb.jpost-28941-0-92591300-1458489261_thumb.j

• Like 1