José L. Piedra in your humidor

José L. Piedra in your humidor  

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I rediscovered JLP about 3 months ago and I've been absolutely loving them. Been smoking through a vendor's 2013 stock currently. They don't look the best but the good ones in the box could pass for a

José L. Piedra. It's not a cigar that gets much attention amongst Cigar enthusiasts, but it is a huge seller for Habanos S.A. Re-introduced in 1996 after a temporary discontinuation in 1990, it's a sh

My time with cigars is limited, and a personal luxury. I own no JLPs, and don't see myself seeking them out, unless they begin to offer something special that I can't get elsewhere.

Honestly, I have been unimpressed with Jose L Piedra as well as Quintero. Decent cigars, but I'll still stick with the PL and RG Panetelas, RyJ MF, and the Partagas cheapies.

Honestly, I have been unimpressed with Jose L Piedra as well as Quintero. Decent cigars, but I'll still stick with the PL and RG Panetelas, RyJ MF, and the Partagas cheapies.

You're right in what you say. I think almost every cuban cigar smoker buys them at some point, usually early on in their smoking experiences. But for just a little more money, there are so many better, more enjoyable options. Like the Partagas Petit Corona Especiales.

Never have, and probably never will. Life's too short, and my smoking time seems to appear more sporadically these days. My last "cheapies" purchased were Cohiba Panatelas, Cohiba Minis, '90 La Corona PC's. I've also been fortunate to sample other MMs from the 70's, 80's, 90's,etc. In the end, none of them were ever more than "decent" cigars. Whenever I choose to light up, I expect the cigar to have a certain amount of enjoyable flavors, and good construction and draw. I don't try to "squeeze in" cigars, and I don't smoke when I'm really stressed out. I always want each smoking experience to have the greatest odds of being very enjoyable as possible. A 4-5 dollar long filler cigar is as cheap as I'll go these days. I'd rather light up one of my pipes, instead of smoking a cigar that simply produces "tobacco flavors." I will do some cheaper beer because it provides refreshment, but cheap cigars and liquor are a different story for me.

• Like 2

Theyre a good fishing or poker cigar (something you smoke while doing something else)

They're also a decent moocher stick (cigars you give your free loading mates at a BBQ)

There is always a place in my humidors for a decent sub $5us stick

Normally I keep either a bundle of JLPs or Quinteros in stock for occasions where I don't want to burn something that cost $10us+ (usually when i'm drunk and 3 cigars down in a night)

It doesn't surprise me that theyre a seller

Countries with high tobacco taxes would move a lot based solely on price point

I'm actually surprised more retailers (other than Rob) don't carry them here

I loved them ever since I went into the back of my local cigar shoppe and found a bundle of Petit Cetros with 6 years of age on them. They had some falling apart wrappers but the tastes were spot on to my surprise. I really don't regret getting those cigars.

Those fresh ones have that unique Cuban twang to them (some call it harshness, I sometimes search for that kind of assault on the lips) for a fraction of the price. There are days that I would choose a 1YO JLP over a fresh Cohiba Siglo I or II.

I just got back from a vacation in Varadero with the family. I was looking for cheap & cheerful cigars, small ring gauge cigars. The JLP Petit Cazadores was on my short list as I've always enjoyed it in the past.

I was only authorized by the Council (my wife) to go to one store so I just went to Plaza America - first time there. I found everything I wanted except for the JLP! The ladies said that JLP were now more for export, which I thought was weird as I have seen them in most LCDH in Havana... maybe it's a new "business decision" by HSA. Maybe some FOHers who went to other parts of Cuba lately could confirm/infirm...

There was plenty of La Flor de Cano Selectos (not seen in years in Cuban LCDH!), HdeM Palma Extra and Upmann Epicures... got a box of RASCC to complete the quatuor.

Leaving the store I was disappointed that the JLP were not available as I would have purchased 2-3 bundles for sure. They are a great value for when I am not sure if I'll have time to smoke the whole cigar or when I feel like smoking a cigar but it's a bit windy outside. JLP are also perfect to give to friends who will not finish their cigar - those who just like to blow smoke once in a blue moon - or newbies.

On a side note, there was plenty of beetles in that store, so I got to open all the boxes and they all went in the freezer...

I was only authorized by the Council (my wife) to go to one store so I just went to Plaza America - first time there. I found everything I wanted except for the JLP! The ladies said that JLP were now more for export, which I thought was weird as I have seen them in most LCDH in Havana... maybe it's a new "business decision" by HSA. Maybe some FOHers who went to other parts of Cuba lately could confirm/infirm...

That's interesting. I believe I read somewhere that JLP had been considered the Cuban national brand for a long time and was particularly popular there. Perhaps their marketing strategy changed after the 1996 re-launch of JLP.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gorob23

they aren't bad for under 2 bucks a sticks, perfect cigar if you know your going to have to pitch it before you are done

Or to have for buddies that almost never smoke, unless they smoke your sticks

• 2 months later...

As said earlier in this thread, a good moocher selection. The cazadores with a little age beat most NCS that poker and golf buddies smoke and are a hand out selection for when you know they are going to be pithed early by non cigar smokers when they mooch.

I currently have the remnants of two Conservas 5x5 packs in my Wineador.

I received the first as a free gift from a vendor, 2011 box date. I was blown away. They certainly can't be beat at the $1.75 USD/stick price that I have since paid for them. In my opinion they're better then almost anything CC or NC that you can get for less than $5.

As most have said they aren't going to be a 10/10 in any category, but they are always a 5-7/10 for me in every category, every time.

I smoked an H Upmann mag 46 from a 2014 box the other day that was almost un smokable it was so harsh. It will need years to develop, if it does at all. I have never had a JLP like that, I've never had one be anything other than what they are, solid and dependable.

No, you wont get much flavor/profile development as the cigar progresses. No, the construction isn't always perfect. But I have never had an over filled/plugged cigar. Only the occasional under fill or soft spot, nothing that prevented the cigar from being smoked.

I laugh when I see people spending $25 and $30 a stick for the LE's. Are they really 10, 12, or 15 times better then a JLP? Not a chance.

• Like 2

Smoking through some 5x5 Brevas right now. OLE FEB 14 and LER SEP 13. The 13s are much better than the 14s. JLP definitely needs at least 2-3 years. Only 6 mos. between them but the 14s are noticeably more green and tannic than the 13s.

The Petit Cetros I smoke regularly are much better than these Brevas. The PCs I've been going through are SAU JUN 13 USO JUL 13. I'm about to pick up some PCs with BLE DEC 11, OTA FEB 12 and LUT SEP 07 so I'm very interested to see how they smoke relative to each other.

Smoked a few JLP Cazzie last year. Not sure of the production year, but from what I remember they were rough looking. the smoking experience on two was very pleasant. They had a very sweet profile to them that I enjoyed. The third was just bland. I think these would be great cigars for working in the garage or during an activity where you aren't just chilling.

I've got 5 Cazadores and 20 Conservas on the way just so's I've got an easy grab in my humi. The Conservas are a great no-brainer smoke when you're doing other stuff. It's amazing what gets done in the garden, even in February, when I fancy one of these.

The cazzies I haven't tried yet but I'm interested to see how they pan out. I've got other cigars that cost way more (especially those bought here in the UK, ouch) that I smoke when it's more about the "cigar experience".

I'm would prefer Quinteros than JLPs as i notice the favoritos has a less harsh taste if dry boxed properly prior to smoking.

But at times i like a JLP Cazadores too especially when they come in nice oily dark wrappers. Those are the bomb.

I'm would prefer Quinteros than JLPs as i notice the favoritos has a less harsh taste if dry boxed properly prior to smoking.

But at times i like a JLP Cazadores too especially when they come in nice oily dark wrappers. Those are the bomb.

The Favoritos are a great bargain as well but for budget cigars like these, I like them small and really cheap. That's why I prefer the Petit Cetros and Petit Cazadores to the larger models. If I'm going to smoke a larger RG cigar, I prefer it to be a premium stick. Budget flavors can be good but they can get a bit grinding after about 45 mins. And the Favoritos are 50%+ more expensive than most of the JLP line.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Would you buy them over a Vegueros ? I tried a 5 pack of the Entretiempos and they were more miss than hit and for sure were much pricier than a JLP. Considering the other competition in the lower spectrum of Habanos, JLP seems to be a pound for pound winner.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...