Whispers from Havana: The scaling back of Vegas Robaina Marque?

Since last June the production of the Robaina brand has been slowly scaled back by Habanos s.a.

There has been nothing official said (nor will there be), but the news on the ground is that it is indeed occuring.

Whether the scaling back in VR cigar production is a precursor to the eventual shutting down of the line is not known but there are rumours of disquiet in relation to trademark issues regarding the Hirochi Robaina Nicaragua band and the Vegas Robaina band that share more than a few similar features.

The proof will be in the pudding and will come this time next year if and when we see the Vegas Robaina cigars become hard to source on wholesale buy lists. If that time does eventuate, I will drop you a line as it may be time then to stock up on a few of your favourites.

I am a fan of the Vegas Robaina marque and would hate to see what is a testament to one of the legends of Cuban cigars be scaled back and perhaps quietly removed. Let's hope it is not so.

• Like 4

This is unfortunate news and hopefully the marca remains for a very long time. I am a fan of VR for their smokes, but also for their history. Their offering of only a few vitolas gives it more charm to me as well. I would hate to see VR gone, but thanks for the info.

• Like 1

They have already deleted 2 vitolas from the brand which leaves 3 left? It obviously has a very small market share compared to the bigger brands. Would not surprise me to see it go. The first box of Famosos I ever purchased were some of the finest cigars I have ever smoked. Tried to order another just like it very shortly afterward and this one has been one of the ugliest, terrible smoking box of cigars I have ever had. Have not ordered a box of Famosos since.

Trademark issues aside, I assumed there were probably some hard feelings back in Cuba when Hirochi went and did the Nicaraguan blend with Cubanacan. He's toured the US hawking these cigars, and even though he's done so legally, I'm sure there are some people in Cuba that resent him for it. Would hope they wouldn't make a decision about the Vegas Robaina marca over some hurt feelings, but it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility. Families of famous defectors become personae non gratae in Cuba. I could see a similar dynamic coming into play with those who view HR as a rebelling capitalist.

Of course Hirochi could be doing his US marketing on behalf of Cuba and HSA as a precursor to Habanos coming to the US. And the cutbacks in VR could just be the next in a continuing line of fringe marcas getting the axe.

Would hope they wouldn't make a decision about the Vegas Robaina marca over some hurt feelings, but it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility. Families of famous defectors become personae non gratae in Cuba.

Hirochi never had anything to do with the brand that bears his name, just as his grandfather.

Horrible news if true - My absolute favourite stick is the VR Unicos

NOT THE REVALATION ?
  • Like 1

Damn, this would be a shame. One of my first cuban cigars was a VR, my first and one of my favorite RE's is the VR Maestros. I have a lot of nostalgic love for this marca, and should probably revisit it.

Hirochi never had anything to do with the brand that bears his name, just as his grandfather.

I understand that. But I'm pretty sure the marca being named Vegas Robaina was an honor Cuba bestowed on Don Alejandro. And if someone is feeling betrayed by Hirochi, getting rid of the VR marca could be seen as retribution toward the Robaina family. It would be unbelievably petty, and I hope that's not the case. But is it entirely out of the realm of possibilities for HSA/Cuba?

The scaling back of production is a given.

The reasoning why is supposiition but you don't have to be Columbo to see the areas of conflict.

The brands future is unknown. We will all find out soon enough. Fingers crossed it contines for a long time to come.

True. This is a common misconception. The brand was more of a tribute to Don Alejandro. And many have said his wrapper leaves were used on the more expensive marcas like Cohiba and never were used on VR cigars.

Keep the blends, change the name to Alejandro, change the R on the band to an A. Or, if the Cuban cigar industry is interested in preserving a sense of history, license the Cuban VR brand to Hirochi - allow him to produce Cuban VR cigars himself.

Be proactive rather than reactive.

I've only just discovered Robaina but the Famosos have treated me so well...this would be a bummer for sure.

But does "scaling back" mean removing entire vitolas, decreasing overall production or a combination of the two?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Big fan of the Clásicos and DA here. Clásicos already by the wayside though.....

I've only just discovered Robaina but the Famosos have treated me so well...this would be a bummer for sure.

But does "scaling back" mean removing entire vitolas, decreasing overall production or a combination of the two?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I can only assume that they will phase out the vitolas with either the worst sales or the worst profit margin.

Famosos were one of my first trigger cigars into jumping head first into the Cuban side of the equation.

Need to revisit the DA