Your favourite alcoholic (and non alcoholic) pairings with a cigar in the following categories

Interesting topic, enjoy so many parings...

Red wine: some Syrah, Chianty, Carmenere or blends that have a nice fruit usually pair well with earthy or spicy cigars (anything Partagas)

White wine: Gewurztraminer, Jurançon, Sauternes, anything sweet typically pair beautifully with bready or grassy cigars (anything Upmann, Cohiba, Hoyo). Champagne is a nice option as well :)

Fortified wine: Xeres, PX sherry, Coleita/tawny/vintage ports are nice with so many cigars...

Spirits: endless options here, rums of all trades (Plantation, Santiago, Pussers, Gosling Old, Zacapa, Clement and so many others), scotches/bourbons/whiskeys as well as some derived cocktails (love Manhattans), gin & tonic, Aquavit, eau-de-vie (quince, plum and cherry would be my favorites), Cognac, Armagnac and brandies, anejo Tequilas, white russian or coffee/nut/orange liqueurs all have their spot in my repertoire

Beer: endless micro-brewed IPAs, stouts and brown ales are wonderful with the right cigar

Non-alcohol: any coffee (preference for stovetop Italian espresso and French pressed), coke zero, sparkling water with squeezed lemon do it for me

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My all time favorite beverage to have with a cigar is a glass of Coke with ice.

What is your favourite accompaniment with a cigar from the following categories? I will move this thread to the booze section come Monday but I would love to hear your thoughts over the weekend if for

Awwwww shiiiiit! Super topic. Red Wine pairing: Barolo & Barbera are generally a winner for me. More specifically, lately, the Katnook Estate Odyssey Cab Sav 2009 was next level, highly recomme

Tullamore Dew with a touch of water is good.

Tried a sweeter German white this past weekend. Can't remember the name but it came in a blue bottle, it paired very well with a Boli PC.

Black coffee or a nice cup of tea with a shot of milk. Or good old water.

Coors Banquet now that we can get it in Canada again. Woohoo!

Red Wine pairing: Not tried. WIll have to rectify this.

White Wine pairing: See red wine.

Fortified Wine pairing: Fonseca Bin 27 Port (Ruby Port) is just delicious. Has paired well with just about every cigar I've tried it with.

Spirits pairing: Scotch, Rye, Brandy - in that order.

Beer pairing: Don't partake.

Non Alcoholic pairing: Coffee, Iced Water (when reviewing/smoking a new cigar).

Red wines: I think red wines pair nicely with cigars. Cab or Merlot with a Partagas, Trinadad

Zinfandel with a Cohiba or h. Upmann's, LGC

White wines: not a fan

Port wine: Partagas, Trinadad,

Scotch/gin martini: H. Upmann's, LGC, San Cristobol, Trinadad, Partagas, Cohiba

Water/vitamin water with all marcas

Black coffee: Por Larranga, H. Upmann's, San cristobol, LGC

• Like 1

Red - Guigal Côtes du Rhône

White - Greywacke Sauvignon Blanc

Fortified - Vintage Taylor's or Warre's

Spirits - Macallan 12

Beer - Maisel's Weisse Dunkel

Cider - Waitrose Vintage Perry

Non-Alcoholic - Elderflower fizz

If I might also suggest a cocktail section? - Negroni

I have never had a wine with a cigar that let me either enjoy the cigar or the wine more than I would without the other, if that makes sense. Therefore, I don't mix wine and cigars. Although I drink very little soda, I do enjoy a classic Coke with cigars. Water, good rum (neat or with an ice cube) and coffee are my favorites.

Red Wine pairing: Red burgundy (i.e. pinot)

White Wine pairing: Meursault

Fortified Wine pairing: Vintage Port

Spirits pairing: Fortaleza, Blantons, or a light-bodied scotch

Beer pairing: European lager

Non Alcoholic pairing: Arnold Palmer (homemade) or French-style coffee.

Wine: Don't have much experience pairing cigars with wine. Something I will have to try more in the future.

Spirits: Love to pair with an Islay Scotch (Lagavulin 16 has my heart).

Beer: Not a fan of pairing beer and cigars, it just doesn't work for me.

Non Alcoholic: coffee always black and water.

9 times out of 10 I go with a Cuba Libre (I think it is the Coca Cola that goes so well with a cigar, but the rum is a nice bonus!)

The rest of the time would be a variety of soft drinks, coffee-based beverages, neat rum or scotch, and the occasional champagne with a lighter bodied cigar.

Red Wine pairing: shiraz... Upmann

White Wine pairing: Prosecco,Cava,Sekt (brut)... Por Larranaga, Cohiba, LGC, Hoyo

Fortified Wine pairing: Late bottled Port, Tawny, character port ... Monte, Bolivar,Partagas

Spirits pairing: Armagnac, Rum ... Monte,Cohiba,Partagas

Beer pairing: something with low / no hops .. J Lopez, RyJ,Upmann

Non Alcoholic pairing: coffee, iced tea, water ....any/all of them

I never would have thought about it, but my buddy turned me on to Amaretto and it is fantastic.

Other than that, my go to has always been non-alcoholic: diet coke or water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neat or how do you drink it? My wife got me some Cherry Liqueur that can be a nice dessert sipping beverage. Usually just put Amaretto (if I have any) in my coffee.

Red Wine:

Not with cigars for me.

White Wine:

Champagne. Albariño.

Fortified Wine:

Manzanilla. Any decent sherry, Pedro Ximenez good.

Spirits:

Ron Caney with ice. Mojito, Powers Gold Label Irish whiskey. Yellow Spot Irish whiskey. Anything Irish with lots of pot still.

Recently had some Spanish brandy distilled from Pedro Ximenez at a cigar dinner in the south of Spain. Very very nice. Raisiny.

post-3053-0-23029500-1437473529_thumb.jp

Beer:

Guinness, Cristal.

Non Alcoholic pairing:

Black coffee, coke.

• Like 1

Beer, beer, beer, beer,....amazing beer wonderful beer! Goes with everything. Hoegaarden (white beer) for sweeter tobacco blends, Rickards Red (red beer) for spicier cigars. A mohito goes great with any cigar especially in Cuba. A nice half and half Gin Martini w/ Bombay Safire and Martinni & Rossi extra dry Vermouth add Queen Olive scored with splash of lime. For non liquored drinks an iced coffee pairs well with a cigar.

Red Wine: a good claret or Rioja

White wine: not really for me

Fortified wine: a nice port or even a good sherry

Spirit : an aged rum, mojito, Irish whisky, a good scotch Malt (I think the peaty ones are better)

Non alcoholic: espresso coffee, coke.

And of course beer

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Excellent topic:

Red Wine: Pinot Noir or Malbec

White Wine: Champagne, Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio, also Portuguese vino verde

Fortified wine: Tawny Port

Spirits: Rum, then vodka

Beer: As a home brewer i like anything with mental hoppiness, usually from a craft brewery, but i also like beers with little to no hoppiness with a cigar, corona, guiness etc.

Let's just get to the meat and potatoes

Spirits: any and all single malts , but some favorites : Balvine 15 Caribian Cask, finished aging in rum cask. Adds a slight sweetness to the scotch. Glenmorangie Nector.

Non alcaholic : ice tea , coffee , water

I no longer drink alcohol, but I really enjoy ginger ale, root beer, Dr Pepper, cream soda, and Sprite with cigars. The carbonation works as a palate cleanser for me, and each of those has interesting flavors that can complement or accentuate different aspects of a cigar.

Red Wine - Tried it, didn't like it

White Wine - Tried it, didn't like it

Fortified Wine - Never tried it

Spirits - Now we are talking. Pretty much any scotch or rum and of course cognac. Gin and tonic with lemon juice.

Beer - Tried it so many timed and I don't know what it is but for me it seems to kill the taste of the cigar. Although I have not tried Guiness as posted by some members, must try.

No Alcoholic - Sparking water - San Pellegrino my favorite

Honestly I find myself drinking cold mineral water as the most complimentary pairing. It may have something to do with it being hot as $#!T in South Texas right about this time of year. Appolinaris or Perrier.

Wine - I'm not that classy

Beer - Guinness

Spirits - Scotch (Balvenie 12 yr. Double Wood) - the max my budget will allow and still have room to buy cigars :)

On reading other recommendations I may have to try some coke classic and glass of ice.