Favorite Steak House

JohnnyCigar

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My House ! Get a custom cut ribeye 1 1/2 " to 2" thick use my special seasoning and call it a day no steak house can touch it !

For many years Peter Luger was by far the only place to get a great steak. And it still is IMHO. Still #1 Steakhouse in the U.S. Wolfgangs, started by the former long time headwaiter is second plac

Peter Lugers for sure. And theres a new Davidoff Cigar lounge on the next block now. Mark Joseph Steakhouse is a close second.

In Toronto Barbarians is also very good and just north of Toronto The Octagon is very good (love their table side prepared Caesar salad.

Do you like Harbor 60?

• 2 months later...

Even though I'm pescetarian 99% of the time, I used to be a heavy beef eater and lived my first 27 years of life in Texas.

The only places I've had steak better than my own is Press (St Helena, CA), Joe's (Chicago, IL) and Keen's (NYC).

To be fair, I had the legendary mutton chop at Keen's but I believe Press and Joe's do so well because they source meat of a quality that's generally unavailable to the public, at least in the terms of being able to walk into a store and see it in the showcase.

Press uses a wood-burning grill which imparts a great deal of flavor but I don't know how Joe's cooks their steaks.

Gibson's in Chicago or the Pappas steakhouse in Houston. If you like a fattier steak, the Delmonico at Capitol Grill beats the Filet at Ruth's Chris. All are good steaks. Still waiting to try Carnivore in Milwaukee. Friends tell me that place is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just ate at Joes's in Vegas and it was awesome as usual. I have been to that one and the one in Chicago many times and never disappointed with any aspect of the whole experience.

For many years Peter Luger was by far the only place to get a great steak.

And it still is IMHO. Still #1 Steakhouse in the U.S.

Wolfgangs, started by the former long time headwaiter is second place, multiple locations and more varied menu.

But a couple of years ago I got a Wolf Dual Fuel range with an infrared grill and source my prime 60 day aged beef from a local butcher and my at home steak is second to none. You can click on the pics for a larger size image.

c50dfe436074399.jpg[/media]

7dddce436074374.jpg

MarkJoseph Steakhouse in NYC - order bacon and then steak for two (aged porterhouse), if you are twoperfect10.gif

• Like 1

Hawksmoor, London.

The Cut Bar & Grill or the Oaks...both in Sydney and serve an aged rib eye on the bone ...plus the bone with the marrow...wash it down with a solid Shiraz from the Barossa, followed by HDM Ep2 and life is grand...

The Oaks was my local when I lived in Sydney, Cremorne Point. A long time ago now, good meat, good bbq's, good pizza, and a trough to piss in when you're stood at the bar! Good times.

• 2 months later...

Tom Colicchio's Craftsteak at MGM in Vegas and Hitching Post in Santa Maria Cal! The Original restaurant not the newer one

post-29220-0-44267200-1459050196_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just back from my latest trip to the US, went to Seattle for the first time. We went to the Metropolitan Steakhouse on Sunday evening after the convention and had dinner in a private room. The steak was amazing, one of the best I've had.

http://www.themetropolitangrill.com/

I've had dinner at the Morton's steakhouse a few days earlier and it was OK.

• Like 1

On the rare occasion I a not preparing my own steak (best choice) I prefer St Elmo's Originally opened in 1902 and has the best Shrimp cocktail I have ever tasted.

http://www.stelmos.com/

• Like 1

Keens didn't even make the list!?

Some good ones on the list, some not so much, and a few I'll have to check out.

The list seems to have gone out of it's way to not include the more traditional, old school style steak houses and aims for the more trendy options. A lot of these restaurants, I wouldn't even have thought about ordering a steak. I have been to a handful of them, and never ordered a steak at any of those. Now with the list, I may be inclined...especially at Minetta, where i usually stick to the burger or the Breslin, where I like to pick at all the small plates (the Scotch Eggs are amazing) and occasionally the lamb burger (it is a good lamb burger).

Have you been to Jacobs & Co in Toronto? Ruth's Chris (a franchise restaurant!) is McDonalds by comparison.

Couldn't agree more!

Was going to try Jacob &Co last time is was in Toronto but I loved Hys so much the first time I was there I had to go back again so my list is

NYC: Strip House, Peter Lugers was an experience but not the best steak ever, however the bacon is amazing

Toronto: Hys

Jackson Hole, WY: Local Restaurant & Bar

Pittsburgh: Hyde Park - it's a chain but I believe there's only 5-7 locations

Las Vegas: STK in the Comsopoltian

Ft. Lauderdale: Shulas

I'm sure I'm forgetting some

• Like 1