aussie thing regards to pineapple

madbunny

if I was grilling a burger at home I wouldn't bother to add it, if it caught my attention on a menu maybe - had it, it does add to the flavor just like it does (for me) on pizza

just have to retreat from the typical every once and a while

lighty toasted bun ,some green stuff ,beets,tomato,patty.pinapple.cheese,oinons,bbq sauce in that order.normally when grilling the beef patty just when its just about ready i put the pineapple on the patty with some of the juice in the hole topped with cheese so it starts melting

Beetroot...that's like eating Wagyu beef with ketchup. It's not horrible (I'd assume), but why??? Top it with some bacon, cheddar/gruyere, and if you like, mushrooms or a fried onion ring. BBQ sauce also goes well.

the beetroot we see on burgers is indeed slices - actually canned beetroot. "golden circle", in oz, a famous food/fruit/vegie processing operation, sells megaloads of the stuff - comes in cans. it is sweetened, as well as that sweet/sour touch mentioned. fresh beetroot is not so sweet, but very healthy and a great flavour. very versatile. everything from soups, think borscht, to salads. often used in curries. amazing colour.

why it works in burgers is that it does provide that sweet/sour thing. elsewhere, works for different reasons.

some health notes on the good old beetroot (i took beetroot sangers to school most days - fantastic, though they ssoaked the bread bright purple).

1) Beetroot is very low in calories and contain zero cholesterol. Its nutrition benefits come particularly from fibre, vitamins, minerals, and unique plant derived anti- oxidants.

2) Beets have long been hailed as a natural healer for their blood pressure-lowering benefits - and researchers from Queen Mary University of London have verified that the nitrate in beetroot juice can indeed help to lower blood pressure.

3) Beets have traditionally been used to treat fever, constipation, bloating and gas. Modern herbalists may advise beets to treat indigestion, lower blood pressure, prevent heart disease and even help to fight cancer.

4) Early studies indicate that the beetroot’s prime antioxidant, betaine, may protect against liver disease - particularly the build up of fatty deposits in the liver caused by alcohol abuse, protein deficiency, or diabetes.

5) Dietary nitrate found in beetroot is thought to be a source for nitric oxide, which plays a key role in smoothing muscle, and triggering it to relax. This permits increased blood flow around the body, potentially enhancing exercise performance.

True to the slices, but I recently had a kofte Lebanese/Aussie fusion type burger with grated beetroot seasoned with cumin and I rated it in my top 10 burger list. Anyone that doesn't have a top 10 burger list is dead to me!

Sent from my iPhone

I have a beetroot and macadamia pesto in the fridge that goes real well with burgers and steak. Beetroot a must on Aussie burgers. But possibly best burger I've had was on Kauai in Hawaii from Bubba's burgers. Real simple double pattie, cheese, onion and a pickle and mustard sauce. Very addictive.

• Like 2

Being from Germany, I like beets like the next guy but they do NOT belong on a burger.

They also are a relatively strong diuretic... cowpoop.gif

• Like 2

I have a beetroot and macadamia pesto in the fridge that goes real well with burgers and steak. Beetroot a must on Aussie burgers. But possibly best burger I've had was on Kauai in Hawaii from Bubba's burgers. Real simple double pattie, cheese, onion and a pickle and mustard sauce. Very addictive.

you got it Bill..that is a perfect description of a burger..

• Like 1

I like beetroot but not the sliced tinned variety. Fresh unboiled beetroot cut finely or grated. It should have crispyness.

On pizza i love the pineapple + jalapeno + olive combo. I just this morning got our chefs on site to pull their finger out and put the pineapple and olives on the pizzas again since i saw them on the good delivery docket, and the bastards been hoarding them in the back of the store... "put the good stuff in the meals you bastards, sick of eating the **** you normally serve"... was a great conversation... i've probably been on site too long, perhaps might be getting grumpy lmao.gifsneaky.gifinnocent.gif

I actually like a burger on occasion with a grilled pineapple ring, caramelized onion, crisp bacon, and a slice of jalapeno with a roasted garlic or chipotle mayo.

Also pineapple and pepperoni pizza is a decent albeit odd combo.

Bubbas is a great little joint, after the burger go down the road for a fish taco at Tropical Taco!

• Like 1

Beetroot and/or pineapple on my burger? Heck yeah, it's what I grew up on. In fact, it only seems like yesterday when I used to go to the local fish and chip shop, after my afternoon paper run, and would order a pineapple fritter dipped in raw sugar...hmmm, yummy! How can anyone reasonably object to such goodness?

Only toppings I go for are grilled peppers, onions, quality cheese (mood varies on type), maybe tomato if garden fresh, maybe avocado.

Beets sound good actually. Pineapple much less so.

Really the secret is quality meat, real charcoal/wood, and the proper meat/bun ratio.

beetroot. absolutely. someone had to google beetroot? how is mars?

LOL. So says the guy who shrugged at Taylor Swift. ;):P LOL.

Here, though, we just refer to beetroot as beets, sliced beets, or pickled beets. Very common here in Canuckistan / Sealbasherland too - many with certain European ancestry do it on burgers too, or at the very least, as a garnish on the side (similar to pickle slices, olives, etc.).

Delish!!! Damn good on a burger with lettuce, tomato, red onion slices, melted spiced-gouda cheese, sweet corn relish, and a garlic-mayo spread that's common from a burger chain here. Mmmmm. :drool:

LOL. So says the guy who shrugged at Taylor Swift. wink.pngtongue.png LOL.

Here, though, we just refer to beetroot as beets, sliced beets, or pickled beets. Very common here in Canuckistan / Sealbasherland too - many with certain European ancestry do it on burgers too, or at the very least, as a garnish on the side (similar to pickle slices, olives, etc.).

Delish!!! Damn good on a burger with lettuce, tomato, red onion slices, melted spiced-gouda cheese, sweet corn relish, and a garlic-mayo spread that's common from a burger chain here. Mmmmm. drool.gif

at least we agree on eating them.

you think it is odd that someone is aware of a food item that has sustained large swathes of the world's population over centuries as opposed to this week's wannabee D grade celebrity?

• Like 2