redback spider v eastern brown snake

not so big ass. redbacks are about the size of a small fingernail.

Hmm. According to that video it sure looked LARGE to me. 'Guess I'm mistaken.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aussie critters let you know when they are around too... they bite you! And in case Mika's pics didn't give you the full impact of a funnel web's fangs, here's something to give you nightmares. Just

for non aussies, the 5c coin is just a bit bigger than the american one cent coin, to give you an idea. so a small spider. the funnel web? about the size of a small car.

billy connolly on australian wildlife

I don't know how you guys deal with all those nasty creatures "down under". At least a rattlesnake will let me know where it is here in the States.

I mean good lord, if a spider bit my A$$ on the toilet, I'd be out of there! lol

Aussie critters let you know when they are around too... they bite you! jester.gif

And in case Mika's pics didn't give you the full impact of a funnel web's fangs, here's something to give you nightmares. Just imagine those fangs (which can pierce boot leather) sinking into your soft flesh...

Picture%20029.jpg

27810.jpg

• Like 3

My father had a rule for snakes here: If it is on the ground...Kill it. if it climbs or is in a tree...shoot it.

My father was not a Greeny lmao.gif

We have about 120 species of snakes in Queensland. 65% are venomous. Outside of Pythons (harmless) and Red bellied blacks (Venomous), I don't trust myself to identify the others. I just assume they will hurt you bad.

• Like 1

I guess with the Redback and Funnel Web spiders around, all you Aussies don't flinch when you come across a giant Hunstman spider. Right? I mean, the Huntsman is huge and scary but harmless (although I might jump out a window or something if I came across a Huntsman so maybe not completely harmless). ziplip.gif

Saw this video on the funnel web spiders. They can survive on the bottom of a pool for up to 4 hours. Scares the hell out of me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMiZq1vWGAk

4hrs? Keep going. They can trap air bubbles on the hairs of their abdomen to keep themselves afloat and for breathing. Eventually they will get water logged and sink, but can still survive for 24+ hrs. So that funnel web at the bottom of your pool you may think is dead, is actually very much alive and ready to bite.

I guess with the Redback and Funnel Web spiders around, all you Aussies don't flinch when you come across a giant Hunstman spider. Right? I mean, the Huntsman is huge and scary but harmless (although I might jump out a window or something if I came across a Huntsman so maybe not completely harmless). ziplip.gif

I'd say the opposite. We have to assume that everything is super deadly (because let's face it, it probably is) so that means no taking any chances!

4hrs? Keep going. They can trap air bubbles on the hairs of their abdomen to keep themselves afloat and for breathing. Eventually they will get water logged and sink, but can still survive for 24+ hrs. So that funnel web at the bottom of your pool you may think is dead, is actually very much alive and ready to bite.

Thanks for your terrifying correction but I would have preferred if you kept that one to yourself! I'm going to have funnel web spiders infiltrating my dreams tonight :pod:

• Like 1

I have to wonder what you Australians did to warrant so many deadly critters on land and sea. innocent.gifthinking.gif In Canada you have to wander off into the remote wilderness to get mauled by any kind of bear, made into a snack by a mountain lion, get steamrolled by a Moose or smacked around silly by a wolverine. :lol:

• Like 1

I'd say the opposite. We have to assume that everything is super deadly (because let's face it, it probably is) so that means no taking any chances!

Thanks for your terrifying correction but I would have preferred if you kept that one to yourself! I'm going to have funnel web spiders infiltrating my dreams tonight pod.gif

You're in Melbourne mate, no funnel webs here, let Sydney worry about them!! nyah.giflol3.gif

• Like 1

Mika, there are Funnel Web spiders in Victoria too (outskirts of Melb and Dandenong Ranges). Though, like everything else south of the border, you get a tame run of the mill variety. tongue.png

• Like 1

I have to wonder what you Australians did to warrant so many deadly critters on land and sea. innocent.gifthinking.gif In Canada you have to wander off into the remote wilderness to get mauled by any kind of bear, made into a snack by a mountain lion, get steamrolled by a Moose or smacked around silly by a wolverine. laugh.png

It's the price we pay for living in paradise.

Mika, there are Funnel Web spiders in Victoria too (outskirts of Melb and Dandenong Ranges). Though, like everything else south of the border, you get a tame run of the mill variety. tongue.png

That's cool, I'm fine with that, so long as they aren't around my house and creeping out of my toilet or from under the pillows!! biggrin.png

The male funnel web goes wandering between November and April in search of a female... or somebody to bite. They are not normally found indoors, unless they accidentally wander inside.

For those of you who like to use your floor as a floordrobe, always shake out your clothes before putting them on (same goes for shoes/boots/work gloves). I myself have found a few whitetails hiding in clothes. Once I woke up and found one sitting on my pillow, not more than 4 inches from my face! mad.gif Whitetails do not make webs and always go for a wander in search of food, typically other spiders.

• Like 1

The male funnel web goes wandering between November and April in search of a female... or somebody to bite. They are not normally found indoors, unless they accidentally wander inside.

For those of you who like to use your floor as a floordrobe, always shake out your clothes before putting them on (same goes for shoes/boots/work gloves). I myself have found a few whitetails hiding in clothes. Once I woke up and found one sitting on my pillow, not more than 4 inches from my face! mad.gif Whitetails do not make webs and always go for a wander in search of food, typically other spiders.

Also pick up your pillow before you lay down for bed. The White tail spider loves those areas.

Last week, I moved my pillow and sure enough, one big a$$ spider was there.

So... I bought around 10 Mortein control bombs and bombed the place the very next day. Sneaky buggers they are ;)

Also pick up your pillow before you lay down for bed. The White tail spider loves those areas.

Last week, I moved my pillow and sure enough, one big a$$ spider was there.

So... I bought around 10 Mortein control bombs and bombed the place the very next day. Sneaky buggers they are wink.png

VXeOljY.gif

• Like 1

If houses weren't so expensive here (Then again what isn't!) I'd have done that!! Classic by the way lol3.gifclap.gif

Strangely enough, people have accidentally set their house on fire trying to a spider.

I confess to a mix of awe and sheer terror when I think of what you antipodeans deal with on a daily basis w.r.t. nature trying to kill you at every turn. Give me a grizzly bear any day.

You are a tough breed.

• Like 1

Well, it's not like you see these things every day. Funnel webs are pretty rare, redbacks are more common (in the garage/shed and under outdoor furniture). I probably see a white tail spider once every few weeks. One quick spray with Mortein and it's a goner. Haven't seen a huntsman in several years (a big ass spider that freaks out a lot of people, but is completely harmless).

Huntsman-spider.jpg

As long as you get a pest man to spray regularly (I get my place done twice a year), you won't have too many problems. Also try to keep as few trees and shrubs close to the house or next to eaves, to stop insects and critters climbing over.

• Like 1