redback spider v eastern brown snake

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aussie critters let you know when they are around too... they bite you! And in case Mika's pics didn't give you the full impact of a funnel web's fangs, here's something to give you nightmares. Just

for non aussies, the 5c coin is just a bit bigger than the american one cent coin, to give you an idea. so a small spider. the funnel web? about the size of a small car.

billy connolly on australian wildlife

Well, it's not like you see these things every day. Funnel webs are pretty rare, redbacks are more common (in the garage/shed and under outdoor furniture). I probably see a white tail spider once every few weeks. One quick spray with Mortein and it's a goner. Haven't seen a huntsman in several years (a big ass spider that freaks out a lot of people, but is completely harmless).

Huntsman-spider.jpg

As long as you get a pest man to spray regularly (I get my place done twice a year), you won't have too many problems. Also try to keep as few trees and shrubs close to the house or next to eaves, to stop insects and critters climbing over.

Mate im not scared of spiders but they still creep me out. That gave me the shivers ;)

Haven't seen a huntsman in several years (a big ass spider that freaks out a lot of people, but is completely harmless).

actually i think a huntsman can cause a problem if it bites you but there are so many that are worse, no one worries.

i have not seen one for an hour, in the pantry.

i have a big bugger which lives in my letterbox. will try and take a photo.

actually i think a huntsman can cause a problem if it bites you but there are so many that are worse, no one worries.

i have not seen one for an hour, in the pantry.

i have a big bugger which lives in my letterbox. will try and take a photo.

I've read the bite can be quite painful due to the size of the fangs, but the venom is not very toxic. Might cause nausea, localised swelling, sweating and heart palpitations, but nothing life threatening.

I've read the bite can be quite painful due to the size of the fangs, but the venom is not very toxic. Might cause nausea, localised swelling, sweating and heart palpitations, but nothing life threatening.

which might even be defined as "cause a problem"?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have to wonder what you Australians did to warrant so many deadly critters on land and sea. innocent.gifthinking.gif In Canada you have to wander off into the remote wilderness to get mauled by any kind of bear, made into a snack by a mountain lion, get steamrolled by a Moose or smacked around silly by a wolverine. laugh.png

I know wolverines are supposed to be tough but I did read about a plain Black Bear getting into a fight with a Wolverine and the bear killed him.

I don't know that Alaska is any better in a way than Australia. Plenty of stuff that may not sting and kill you but will simply bash you and will eat you. I don't know if the guys there were just messing with us or not. Stopped in a C5 in Fairbanks on our way to Korea. Soon as we set foot on base they paired us up and issued on 44mag revolver between the two of us. Instructions were we went no where without our buddy because up there we are part of the food chain. While there heard about a woman who managed to toss her baby into the house through an open window before a Grizzly bear drug her off into the woods and ate her. I stayed in quarters until we flew out the next morning.

There are no poisonous snakes and very few poisonous spiders where I live :D

Just wait. In my area (I'm just a little west of you) the Black Widows and Brown Recluse populations have kicked up a bit. I talked to a few biologists and they point that part of it is due to an invasive species of Preying Mantis non native is part to blame because they are devastating ground spiders that kill and eat other spiders like wolf, grass and Yellow and Black Garden spiders etc that normally keep those poisonous ones in check. So if you start seeing mantis or their egg filled sacs in the fall be sure to destroy them.