redback spider v eastern brown snake

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aussie critters let you know when they are around too... they bite you! And in case Mika's pics didn't give you the full impact of a funnel web's fangs, here's something to give you nightmares. Just

for non aussies, the 5c coin is just a bit bigger than the american one cent coin, to give you an idea. so a small spider. the funnel web? about the size of a small car.

billy connolly on australian wildlife

Snake: "Hey, buddy! Can't you see I'm playing dead!?? I've got a big ass SPIDER on me!!! What's WRONG with you - stop poking me!!"

• Like 1

I saw both red back spiders, and an Eastern Brown snake in my back yard today. I killed the spiders, and left the snake alone, as he was just passing through,

The problem with Red backs is that they can be almost anywhere.

Our old home was virtually new, immaculately clean yet we used to find them all over the place in the back yard.

The main reason why we eventually moved, couldn't risk them coming into the house.

So small, yet very deadly, especially small kids.

Can't complain though, I think Sydney gets the worse end of the stick with the Sydney Funnel web spider.

Can't complain though, I think Sydney gets the worse end of the stick with the Sydney Funnel web spider.

They are insane! I'm scared sh@tless of them!

I've had a dry bite from a redback. Hurt to all buggery.

Breeding season at the moment for funnel webs, so you can find them out and about more. Heard a guy up the coast got bit by one on the neck and needed a couple of vials of anti-venom.

I've been bitten by a redneck. Not all that bad. But yes, dangerous for young kids and elderly. However the funnel web is a whole different ball game. Their fangs can puncture a human big toe nail. And it supposedly feels like you've been hit by a truck.

Sent from my iPhone

I've been bitten by a redneck.

Oohhh.... There's a plethora of Queenslander jokes just waiting to be unleashed here!!

:D

The problem with Red backs is that they can be almost anywhere.

Our old home was virtually new, immaculately clean yet we used to find them all over the place in the back yard.

The main reason why we eventually moved, couldn't risk them coming into the house.

So small, yet very deadly, especially small kids.

yeah I heard all the bad **** y'all have down under. I have caught rattle snakes and swam with alligators but y'all got some bad stuff
  • Like 1

yeah I heard all the bad **** y'all have down under. I have caught rattle snakes and swam with alligators but y'all got some bad stuff

^This!

I have this thought in my head (erroneous thought it may be) that there is just an inordinate amount of things around Australia that are more dangerous than need be. I mean, salt water crocodiles?! seriously. Those are dinosaurs guys...

When my parents lived near Melbourne in the 70s, and my father was teaching at a secondary school, during an outdoor activity, a student caught hold of a fully grown, highly venomous tiger snake. The student didn't think much of it, and brought it up near the rest of the students and teachers to show it off. Evidently tiger snake sightings weren't uncommon in that area. I can handle innocuous garter or other yard snakes, but can't imagine living somewhere with regular tiger snakes.

I don't know how you guys deal with all those nasty creatures "down under". At least a rattlesnake will let me know where it is here in the States.

I mean good lord, if a spider bit my A$$ on the toilet, I'd be out of there! lol

Hey... I just realised, no one has posted any pics of these spiders wink.png For all you spider lovers, of course nyah.gif

REDBACK SPIDER

red-back-spider_465px.jpg

A-pregnant-redback-spider-with-its-egg-s

SYDNEY FUNNEL WEB

Corbis-42-18358095.jpg

527022-provoked-funnel-web-spider.jpg

for non aussies, the 5c coin is just a bit bigger than the american one cent coin, to give you an idea. so a small spider.

the funnel web? about the size of a small car.

• Like 2