Do cigars make you feel unfit?

Was weighing this up in my head recently... Wanted to open a can of worms.

I'm keen to pick everyone else's brain. From those who see themselves as 'unfit' or 'fit', how do cigars effect you personally? Do you feel less fit after a period of solid cigar smoking (a holiday, or multiple cigar-heavy days)?

wink.png

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's not the cigars that make me feel unfit...it's the burgers, pizza, and beer that do that.

No, my fat ass makes me feel unfit.

Cigars make me feel just dandy...my inconsistancy about going to the gym because Im sofaKing lazy is the problem.

I don't do many heavy smoking sessions in a year and overall, smoking (average one a day) doesn't seem to affect my performance at the gym (3x a week of weightlifting). I also often pair with a non alcoholic beverage so it might play a part in it. Will check over the next thirty years and get back to you with more comments :P

Cigars have no impact on my perception of fitness. I work out 6 days a week (typically not on Friday), alternating between cardio and weights, and smoke cigars and drink beer on Fridays and Saturdays. Maybe kind of a routine rut, but it works for me. --sam

Yes, it does make me feel a little "heavy," so to speak. I lift weights and do cardio several times a week, but something about cigars can give me that sensation that I had a full pasta dish after having eaten healthy in the days prior.

It doesn't stop me, however. But I do tend to make sure I'm very hydrated before and after smoking. Seems to help for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about in terms of your respiratory system?

I can't say that cigars make me feel heavy or unfit (I weigh a touch under 70kg I think)

Coming out of our winter (god bless Australia) and going for runs and riding my bike was a bit tougher than expected initially, albeit I haven't done much for a good 3-4 months except football.

Does anyone feel that cigar smoking makes breathing (while exercising perhaps) more difficult?

Joking aside I really only smoke in the warmer months, 3-4 a week. Now that fall is over and winter approaching that number will go to maybe 2 a month. It doesnt effect me when on the treadmill. however if I had a heavy smoking night I do feel my breathing constricted/heavy for a day or so...basicallh a cigar hangover so to speak.

• Like 2

Sure it does...Everyone handles nicotine differently. You are at some point during your smoking inhaling smoke. Whether second from other smokers around you or your own while the cigar is resting. Should go away rather quickly though.

• Like 1

I cycle around 100 miles a week to and from work alongside lifting weights at the gym 4 times a week and feel cigars have no detrimental effect to either. If I'm smoking these days it's on an afternoon/evening after my exercise is done or if I'm on a rest day. I've had cigars on saturday mornings in the past with the intention to train that afternoon and I usually end up opening a bottle if wine and never make it off the sofa. I don't think they affect my fitness in any way, but they will kill all motivation to do anything except drink, relax and light up another.

I'm 115 kg and run three 6km jogs and row three 5km on a Concept 2. I smoke at least a cigar a day, six over the weekendand as for breathing easy it's all good after the first five minutes but when giving each session a nudge I have noticed that I now have to call on all orifices to suck air in. When I only smoked a handful a week my 6km didn't hurt as much to do a 25min squirt. Now it looks ugly at the end when once a month I tap the mid twenties on my 6km.

When I switched from smoking cigarettes and pot to cigars around 5 years ago I noticed a huge difference when running/working out. Massive improvement. To me cigars have make me feel healthy! Kicking back for a hour most days and enjoying a cigar does wonder for relieving the stress! ok.gif

Not in the least! Quite the reverse as it goes.I'm no example of fitness by any means but I do try and swim 2-3 times a week and my weight is reasonable.My work days start at 7am and I'm not home,on average until around 9pm (thankfully not 5 days a week) I don't tend to eat a lot on work days and it's very physical inasmuch as I'm on my feet for most of the day and having to get around pretty quickly so that helps to keep the weight down.

I don't smoke every day and couldn't even if I wanted to.A cigar,for me,is all about the downtime and the right mood so I'd say that it was one time when I feel at my best.I don't drink either,I'm not teetotal but I'm as close as makes no difference.Nothing against it per se,I just never handled it well and even as a 17/18 year old it would take me 2 or 3 days to recover from a heavy night whereas most people I knew were "on it" again within hours.I got into my early 20's and just thought,no,not for me.

Oddly enough,straying off topic for a moment.On the rare occasion that I do have a couple of glasses of wine these days it makes my feet itch like crazy! It's been suggested to me that I might have a slight allergy or intolerance to it.Well it would certainly explain those long recovery periods back in the day.No,I'm more than happy always to volunteer as the designated driver :-)