Do cigars make you feel unfit?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's not the cigars that make me feel unfit...it's the burgers, pizza, and beer that do that.

No, my fat ass makes me feel unfit.

Cigars make me feel just dandy...my inconsistancy about going to the gym because Im sofaKing lazy is the problem.

I do a lot of cardio and over the past half a year have lost a considerable amount of weight. It's a big deal for me, but honestly my breathing while running just doesn't feel like it did before. This worries me because I can't think it would be anything other than cigars.

I'd much rather have access to a pool for laps rather than run for my cardio though.

• Like 1

What about in terms of your respiratory system?

I can't say that cigars make me feel heavy or unfit (I weigh a touch under 70kg I think)

Coming out of our winter (god bless Australia) and going for runs and riding my bike was a bit tougher than expected initially, albeit I haven't done much for a good 3-4 months except football.

Does anyone feel that cigar smoking makes breathing (while exercising perhaps) more difficult?

So, yes.... This is actually the heaviness I feel, which is more like a closed up feeling in my nostrils and chest. Don't get me wrong, it's not extreme, but I do believe I have a sensitivity to the smoke. Ironic, because I'm a firefighter.

I had an allergy test done where they made little scratches on my back with about 75 little needles. Each needle carried either a plant or food type. I wasn't allergic to foods, but I WAS allergic to just about every type of plant. I don't believe tobacco was part of the test, but it would make sense if I had a bit of an allergy to it as well.

When we have a fire with oleanders, I'm a mess!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has not bothered me. I do multiple mountain bike races during the year and I haven't felt any problems with my cardio fitness.

People do look at me funny though when I light up after a race, but it's usually the hippies that drive prisus and drink grass milk shakes.

Of course they don't care for me anyway as I go drink beer and smoke cigars in my diesel truck.

• Like 1

What about in terms of your respiratory system?

Does anyone feel that cigar smoking makes breathing (while exercising perhaps) more difficult?

Totally does for me. Cardio is much better in the winter because I don't smoke as much. But it also depends on the number of cigars and the type of training. Running on a treadmill for 20 minutes at a pace of 6:50 isn't going to make me feel a big difference. But a crossfit session with an intense wod or a sparring session and even one cigar is going to affect me.

Alastair

Please post your Tinder photo....oh Pleassssssssssse rotfl.gifrotfl.gifrotfl.gif

Not sure we want to go through that again Rob!

Besides, I'm sure he's worried about ending up in someone's spank-bank with that gold! :lol::lol::lol:

Alastair

Please post your Tinder photo....oh Pleassssssssssse rotfl.gifrotfl.gifrotfl.gif

Not sure we want to go through that again Rob!
Besides, I'm sure he's worried about ending up in someone's spank-bank with that gold! laugh.png:lol:laugh.png

I'm sure you have a copy somewhere Rob.. pod.gif

So, yes.... This is actually the heaviness I feel, which is more like a closed up feeling in my nostrils and chest. Don't get me wrong, it's not extreme, but I do believe I have a sensitivity to the smoke. Ironic, because I'm a firefighter.

I had an allergy test done where they made little scratches on my back with about 75 little needles. Each needle carried either a plant or food type. I wasn't allergic to foods, but I WAS allergic to just about every type of plant. I don't believe tobacco was part of the test, but it would make sense if I had a bit of an allergy to it as well.

When we have a fire with oleanders, I'm a mess!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally does for me. Cardio is much better in the winter because I don't smoke as much. But it also depends on the number of cigars and the type of training. Running on a treadmill for 20 minutes at a pace of 6:50 isn't going to make me feel a big difference. But a crossfit session with an intense wod or a sparring session and even one cigar is going to affect me.

Yes. It's certainly not extreme for me either, and doesn't make me feel unfit. Rather I felt it was a tad harder to breathe for a short period of time. Nothing substantial at all, but that's all I could attribute this to.

Haven't given swimming a crack yet this summer, but I'll see if I notice it in the pool too.

• Like 1

Yes. It's certainly not extreme for me either, and doesn't make me feel unfit. Rather I felt it was a tad harder to breathe for a short period of time. Nothing substantial at all, but that's all I could attribute this to.

Haven't given swimming a crack yet this summer, but I'll see if I notice it in the pool too.

For me it's easy to feel the difference. In the summer I smoke 10-12 sticks per week and my cardio is terrible. In the winter I go to the lounge maybe once a month and smoke 1-2 sticks. The next session, max two cardio is not what it should be, but after I'm all good.

For me it's easy to feel the difference. In the summer I smoke 10-12 sticks per week and my cardio is terrible. In the winter I go to the lounge maybe once a month and smoke 1-2 sticks. The next session, max two cardio is not what it should be, but after I'm all good.

I'm not a 10-12 stick a week guy, but I certainly see where you're coming from.

Hard for me to track as I really got started with cigars at the same time as I started taking fitness seriously again.

Having said that, my fastest ever 10k was right after a Cohiba Lancero. 'Cohiba - this athlete's choice'

• Like 1

If you're talking cardiovascular fitness, a couple cigars a week will make close to zero difference (providing you aren't inhaling). Smoke a cigar every day, and the volume of smoke that will enter your lungs passively will make a difference. Wether you feel a noticeable difference is down to baseline fitness levels, exercise modality, and your breathing technique.

If you're talking weights it will only have a difference if your intensity is high, where CV fitness becomes a factor. Rest periods may also need to increase between sets, though there are so many variables that affect weightlifting performance that you likely wouldn't notice and effect.

Anaerobic conditioning will only be affected due to decreased ability to recover between bouts. Initial efforts would be fine, subsequent efforts would be affected.

Number of cigars smoked is not the issue, volume of smoke inhaled is the main risk factor (they are obviously linked). If you're smoking a few cigars in a poorly ventilated room, it's likely to cause more damage than smoking double that in the outdoors with a bit of a breeze and a smoking style that minimises inhalation.

• Like 3

May may remember my review of a big 80rg asylum cigar and pics of a buddy smoking one as well. He was a two sport athlete (Running back in football and track and field) He noticed immediately during track practice that his times suffered in his sprints. So he could only have a cigar right after a track meet and his time would suffer the next couple days but he would be back to his peak by the weekend.

IMG_00093.jpg

track_bride_kaelin_kon.jpg

fb1_kon.jpg

• Like 2