Smoking ROTT

I've found myself literally opening the last 6-8 orders and immediately firing one up because I get the kid at Christmas feeling. It seems like transit times are on average 8-9 days so it's not like they've really dried out any. Anyone else experience the same lack of self control?

I ALWAYS wait at least two weeks! Most of the time A month. If your waiting over A week in transit and they have been in different climates,airplane,tempertures.they need time to stabilize. There shock'y wont taste right. But everybody has there own way.

Guilty as charged here lol I say though its a really good way of exploring your ability to taste. At the very least i've walked away learning when a cigar tastes and burns off having been rott. Then every cigar I light after that is just another opportunity to learn what i prefer.

....so it's not like they've really dried out any.

My thought is usually that they won't be dried out, but that they're more likely to be a bit on the damp side. That aside, I've done it - there have been a few times where that first cigar, smoked same day, has been the most flavorful of the box.......

I sometimes think that if the draws weren't so typically on the tight side, I'd store my cigars at a higher humidity than I do.

I think my biggest problem is that I don't have a stockpile of smokes I can smoke in the mean time. So I'm smoking $5 HDM from local B&M until the waiting period is over. Luckily, it's beginning to get cold here so I'll cut my smoking back. As a result, these montes should last me through the winter more than likely

I agree with @Headstand to grab a baseline for things to come.

I know the rule day of rest for day in transit but it helps to offset

the claim of proper storage from the get go, either aged stock or fresh.

One stick isn't going to make or break my stash, also I may see the potential

is there to go deep on limited items. IMHO.

I used to think the waiting period was more about humidity level of the cigar than time. I would dry box for a day or two to get a new cigar down to 60 or so before smoking but I was still finding the flavor/taste quite off. Some were downright bitter.

Once I started waiting at least 2 weeks or more (a month is better) I haven't experienced that problem again. I don't want to 'waste' a potentially good smoke due to my impatience again. I wait it out now.

Well all things considered, it makes sense but doesn't.

Aircabin humidity is theoretically 0. No moisture. On top of that, it's under a moderate vacuum.

These conditions are simulated in a lab as the most efficient drying method for solids.

Boxes not vacuum packed technically shouldn't taste as good for that reason.

However, in an airtight bag, that shan't matter. So the only things that should affect them would be the wild temperature change.

Basically, way I see it, if you light it up off the plane, you should be able to light it up after freezing for beetles. Which I don't think one should do either.

Sent by the Enigma on BlackBerry.

I used to but I like to wait about a month. Less if I've never smoked that particular cigar.

I wait 30 days before smoke the first one. Always. Even though 4 business days is the transit time. I'd only start a box after 30days if it was something new what never tried before but really wanted to. When I'm going deep I dont try it after 30 days...sometimes not within years