Adding water to your single malt

Skyfall

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A topic close to my heart.

A little glossary clarity first. SCOTCH is something that comes after butter or is part of a children's hoping game.

WHISKY is the way it's spelt and the 'E' is like ice, best left out or mixed with coke.

Best water story I have comes from the Talisker distillery.

While enjoying a wee dram there in 2000, the distiller offered me a small jug of brown water and suggested a few drops.

It was the same peaty water drawn from the spring that goes into the whisky.

Changed everything.

The chlorinated, fluorinated, out of the tap stuff just doesn't cut it for me.

But if you like the taste imparted by a few drops then do it.

A topic close to my heart.

A little glossary clarity first. SCOTCH is something that comes after butter or is part of a children's hoping game.

WHISKY is the way it's spelt and the 'E' is like ice, best left out or mixed with coke.

Best water story I have comes from the Talisker distillery.

While enjoying a wee dram there in 2000, the distiller offered me a small jug of brown water and suggested a few drops.

It was the same peaty water drawn from the spring that goes into the whisky.

Changed everything.

The chlorinated, fluorinated, out of the tap stuff just doesn't cut it for me.

But if you like the taste imparted by a few drops then do it.

Hate to think what was in that jug he gave you. Never tasted peaty water from anywhere unless he gave you some out a puddle outside it would be pretty tasteless normal Scottish water from there spring. I always was under the impression that the peat taste came from them burning peat to dry the barley?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I put a splash (about a teaspoon) per ounce. Blasphemy? I find this releases a more nuanced and accessible nose. Wilkey

i would like to propose that as the official motto for FOH!

How do you not add water when you add ice?

• 4 weeks later...

The Glengoyne Cask Strength Batch 001 that I am having at the moment appears to benefit from a splash of water - seems to round-off the edges and brings the sweetness to the fore while accentuating the malty-honeyish notes.

I have a Glengoyne cask strength I bought years ago. Do they all have the batch number, or only some of the releases? It is very, very good either way.

I have a Glengoyne cask strength I bought years ago. Do they all have the batch number, or only some of the releases? It is very, very good either way.

They re-launched (i.e. made more expensive and relabeled the now more watered down and caramel-coloring added booze) the whole range a year or two ago. What you have is almost certainly better.

• Like 1

They re-launched (i.e. made more expensive and relabeled the now more watered down and caramel-coloring added booze) the whole range a year or two ago. What you have is almost certainly better.

It's the same unchill-filtered and uncoloured cask-strength Glengoyne except that it is now a No Age Statement with revamped packaging to make it consistent with the new packaging design that was rolled out for the entire range.

The old Glengoyne Cask Strength was a 12 year old if memory serves me well.

I think I may have a bottle of the old Glengoyne Cask Strength some where ...maybe.

I do agree that the new Glengoynes have certainly gone up in price significantly. Likewise the Balvenie, Glenlivet and sadly, Glenfarclas too appear to be following in the footsteps of the Macallan.

I guess the pull of the almighty dollar and the push of higher operating cost are too hard to resist.

It's the same unchill-filtered and uncoloured cask-strength Glengoyne except that it is now a No Age Statement with revamped packaging to make it consistent with the new packaging design that was rolled out for the entire range.

I think I may have a bottle of the old Glengoyne Cask Strength some where ...maybe.

I do agree that the new Glengoynes have certainly gone up in price significantly. Likewise the Balvenie, Glenlivet and sadly, Glenfarclas too appear to be following in the footsteps of the Macallan.

I guess the pull of the almighty dollar and the push of higher operating cost are too hard to resist.

Not sure about the cask strength but the other expressions now have caramel coloring added - what's your take on that?

Not sure about the cask strength but the other expressions now have caramel coloring added - what's your take on that?

I didn't know that - it is a little disappointing to learn of it. Dalmore is another malt that uses caramel.

I don't drink much Glengoyne but I wasn't that impressed when I tasted the new Glengoyne line up in last year's Whisky Live.

The Glengoyne CS they sell here is still labeled as 12 years old. How do I know if it's the old or new release?

I would guess it's because in many places things like chlorine and fluoride are added to the drinking water supply - things that might be considered contaminants.

Water hardness, trace pipe salts, lime of any kind.

I can't stand the taste of Toronto tap water. Weird minerals.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk

Guess I am lucky. My tap water has no taste...

Every tap water has a taste... I loved German tap water flavours. Very hard and robust. Anchors to the roof of your mouth. Many small European villages have water from natural springs of aquifers. Tastes fresh and isn't as hard as city water.

Send me a bag of it. I'll taste it for you! smile.png

Using rain to water down scotch is probably the best one. Just like General Jack Ripper in "Dr. Strangelove". Stick your hand out the winder with the glass during a storm. (unless you're in China)

Thunderstorming rain tastes different from regular rain. That's because lightning naturally ozonates the rain water like bottled water does. It has a very refreshing taste and smell to it. Sweet and makes it more syrupy.

That's actually what gives thunderstorms the amazing, fresh smell to it.

Ozone etymology: ozien - Greek "to smell". Discovered by German Chemist (Schoenbein): the inventor of guncotton.

Every tap water has a taste... I loved German tap water flavours. Very hard and robust. Anchors to the roof of your mouth. Many small European villages have water from natural springs of aquifers. Tastes fresh and isn't as hard as city water.

Send me a bag of it. I'll taste it for you! :)

Using rain to water down scotch is probably the best one. Just like General Jack Ripper in "Dr. Strangelove". Stick your hand out the winder with the glass during a storm. (unless you're in China)

Thunderstorming rain tastes different from regular rain. That's because lightning naturally ozonates the rain water like bottled water does. It has a very refreshing taste and smell to it. Sweet and makes it more syrupy.

That's actually what gives thunderstorms the amazing, fresh smell to it.

Ozone etymology: ozien - Greek "to smell". Discovered by German Chemist (Schoenbein): the inventor of guncotton.

Again, my tap water has no taste. It tastes like water. If anybody on planet earth can tell the difference in a cask strength scotch with one drop of tap or one drop of distilled, then I bow to them as the king of supreme tasters....

• Like 1

If anybody on planet earth can tell the difference in a cask strength scotch with one drop of tap or one drop of distilled, then I bow to them as the king of supreme tasters....

Drop. No. But when you're diluting it down from 60% to 40%, there's a slakey kind of lime feel that is just heinous to me. I shiver at the mere thought...

Send me your address. I'll send you some Toronto tap water and you can see for yourself. wink.png

Another fun fact: I think Toronto is the only big municipality that still fluoridates their water supply.

Drop. No. But when you're diluting it down from 60% to 40%, there's a slakey kind of lime feel that is just heinous to me. I shiver at the mere thought...

Send me your address. I'll send you some Toronto tap water and you can see for yourself. wink.png

Another fun fact: I think Toronto is the only big municipality that still fluoridates their water supply.

Ill pass thanks. I am pretty sure montreal and most other cities fluoridate as well....unless somehting changed in the last 10 years...

• 2 weeks later...