Adding water to your single malt

Skyfall

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Don't know if it's already been covered, but wouldn't it be ideal to add distilled water if you are going to add water? There would be no additional minerals added nor flavors from the water, but rather a truer sense of the beverage opening up.

Of course to some that may sound overkill. But water quality is very important.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I put a splash (about a teaspoon) per ounce. Blasphemy? I find this releases a more nuanced and accessible nose. Wilkey

i would like to propose that as the official motto for FOH!

How do you not add water when you add ice?

Absolutely not for me!

Im fully inclined toward Single Malt purism, preferring my drams "au natural".

If it isn't entirely pleasurable neat ...then it's simply not for me.

I like to sample a dram immediately after opening the bottle where it is at its fullest in body and completely closed down.

I then progress into the same whisky after sitting it "open" in a tasting glass for an hour or so to see how the palate opens.

I find everytime i open the bottle it evolves as it becomes more oxidised until the point where it begins to fade.

Kind of like vintage cigars hitting their prime v's past their best...

The journey of a single malt from "cask to casket"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The journey of a single malt from "cask to casket"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For most (that is, non-cask strength) malts, that journey involves adding water. Why is it ok for the bottler to add water and not for me?

Usually just a dash of water with a blended whiskey, but an occasional ice cube with a single malt can help it open up to me at least. Most of the time though, just pour it in the glass and enjoy!

For me it has changed with my tastes. But it also depends on the scotch. Talisker distillers edition gets no ice or water and tastes lovely, creme brule and then an oak sledgehammer to the forehead. I enjoy this, as masochistic as it might sound. Glenlivet 12 is often on ice, while the older, or archive lines, are neat. Lagavulin 16 get's a drop or two per proper dram at most.

For the most part I drink a good scotch with just a few drops, enough to open the nose but not blow it out.

• 3 weeks later...

Adding water will open up the aroma and palette of the drink, so that is the normal way I will drink it. Now, we're only talking a few drop, not a 50/50 mixture. I also use whiskey stones or LARGE ice cubes. The larger the cube, the more surface area, so the more time I will take to melt.

Damn, now I want a drink haha.

I mentioned earlier that I drink whiskey neat, but I found a barrel brood bourbon that is undrinkable neat- 2014 WLW. With that one, I will add a few drops of water, along with letting it breathe for 20 minutes. Also, I will not use my usual Glencairn, but rather a DOF.

I mentioned earlier that I drink whiskey neat, but I found a barrel brood bourbon that is undrinkable neat- 2014 WLW. With that one, I will add a few drops of water, along with letting it breathe for 20 minutes. Also, I will not use my usual Glencairn, but rather a DOF.

What is a DOF?

• 2 weeks later...

I only add water to my cask strength, find the water opens it up brings out more aroma and flavour.

Some of them at around 60% sends you flying to the moon and back, I drink for the flavour, if I want an buzz will go for the cheap.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

99% of the time i would say no to water or ice but.... if you add a few drops to Aberlour A'bunadh it certainly gives different tasting notes

• 3 weeks later...

Always add some. The trick is different spirits work best with differing amounts of water.

Lagavulin 12 opens up wonderfully with a spoonful of water. 16 with just a couple drops.

• Like 2

No water! Two ice cubes only! Why take a perfectly good CC and add a filter on it. Same concept. A good single malt or blend should be sipped not gulped and chilled not watered down.

Only my opinion.

Now a very nice cognac should be warmed by a flame to the glass.

I'm inclined to disagree. Good whisky should be drank for maximum appreciation, and you can't coat your whole palate with just a sip. A very small bit of water can ease the flavors out.

Some whiskies I really do prefer neat though

thecapo, on 29 May 2014 - 6:56 PM, said:snapback.png

No water! Two ice cubes only! Why take a perfectly good CC and add a filter on it. Same concept. A good single malt or blend should be sipped not gulped and chilled not watered down

Tell me brother, what cha makin' yer ice with?............chilled,not watered down ???????? WTF ??

• Like 1

Always add some. The trick is different spirits work best with differing amounts of water.

Lagavulin 12 opens up wonderfully with a spoonful of water. 16 with just a couple drops.

I'd agree in general and specific.

When I try a new spirit I always start with a nosing glass, and a small pitcher of distilled water... and I do it completely sober. As the night goes on I find my palate becomes a little less discerning.

thecapo, on 29 May 2014 - 6:56 PM, said:snapback.png

Tell me brother, what cha makin' yer ice with?............chilled,not watered down ???????? WTF ??

I hear tell that's why some people or establishments like to use those "mega ice cubes". Less overall surface area for melting. But I'm with you, it's still going to melt into the spirit (and turn it into an adult lava lamp, which I love to look at, personally).