So how useful are cigar reviews......really

They are just an indicator. I look for someone who taste profile that is similar. If they like a cigar I am willing to try one or more. I also look for honestly in a review. If the reviewer never says anything bad I am suspicious. I have watched enough reviews where you have panned a cigar you have in stock to trust your opinion. Having said that I always look for a second opinion and judge accordingly.

PS I watch your reviews for the entertainment factor. I just hope your livers hold up !

Extremely well written and described there Rob... There are a million different considerations to each cigar smoker, his/her particular experience with a particular cigar and the way that translates to a review... It's quite incredible to think about

Good post Rob. You also need to have a frame of reference for the flavours described. If you don't eat walnuts then with the best will in the world you're going to struggle to taste walnuts in a cigar. Agree that if you can find someone whose palate aligns with yours then you're likely to have more joy with purchases based on their reviews.

can i have one of the ones he has rolled?

and i think taste is very subjective but a review can provide some guidance. especially if over time you find a reviewer who has similar tastes to your own

If the majority of reviewer's are positive/like to a cigar that to me is helpful enough to at least bother to try it. That is useful to me. Really!smile.png

Exactly - it can be less about specific flavors, much more about overall impressions. I do agree with finding aligned palates, and overall, taking what suits and disregarding elements that don't.

Please, never stop doing the reviews!

They have drawn my attention towards FOH,

they have helped me to develop my senses further and all the rest of it.

But above all, we live in different parts of the world, some or even many timezones apart -

despite the fact that we hit the 7000 mark (or is it 8k now)

it still feels almost like family to "be there" with you on every new review.

Cheers, Alex

• Like 2

Very well said. Cheers Rob.

Honestly, the same cigar could taste bit different for the same buddy depending on your palate. I mean what was eaten, drunk before or during and things like that. And I do believe that we all are bit different so do the tobacco leaves. Meaning slight variations here and there.

But reviews are there, and should be there to have at least a guideline.

I think as a beginner they helped me immensely, especially the foh vids. Someone might not be able to get every taste mentioned but they gave you a starting point to go after and what to try if you liked certain basic flavours eg

Coffee Creme -monte

Expresso and earth-bolivar

Fruity-human Lopez/SLR

Spicy cream- partagas

Now I enjoy the foh reviews still to see how new regionals fair (if it's profile is like a bolivar GM then if most likely avoid or go singles instead of box purchase) but mostly I just enjoy watching a couple of mates have a good time with a good cigar.

I first found the reviews in YouTube and watching them made me want to join FoH. I didn't even realise until after I signed up that there even was a store attached to the website/forum. It's the friendship/society I joined for, the cigars are just background noise at foh (at least for me)

I enjoy reviews from people I trust to know good quality cigars. It's helpful to narrow down the field when I'm making a purchase. But I certainly know not to expect to have the same experience. Case in point: I purchased a box of LFDC Grandiosos based just on your grand review of them. I smoked two, and neither of them did a damn thing for me, so I unloaded the rest. My palate just doesn't pick up the nuance there.

But I've also made other purchases based on your reviews that have been home runs for me.

Perhaps most importantly, your reviews tell me what NOT to buy. When a cigar falls flat for you and Ken, I know damn well it's not going to do anything for me.

• Like 1

The comment about losing taste buds as we age almost brought a tear to my eye. I remember being totally blown away by the flavors of a $1.35 A. Fuente in 1993, in my 20's. I can't even get that pure/concentrated flavor out of a top cuban today, and I get only a hint of the past in a Fuente. Don't get me wrong, I am still wowed by a top Cuban - but the memory haunts....

• Like 1

I agree. When I read a review and decide to try a particular cigar it's not due to the certain belief that I will, in fact, taste every single nuanced flavor that the reviewer has.

What the review will tell me is whether or not the cigar is in my wheelhouse, per se. If it's something that is along the profile of what I *might* enjoy.

A general guideline, if you will.

I think as a beginner they helped me immensely, especially the foh vids. Someone might not be able to get every taste mentioned but they gave you a starting point to go after and what to try if you liked certain basic flavours eg

Coffee Creme -monte

Expresso and earth-bolivar

Fruity-human Lopez/SLR

Spicy cream- partagas

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Most common words I hear from all the reviews are:

Rob: "Sht, is this thing still on?"

Ken: "No disrespect."

"...before I was rudely interrupted."

Smithy: "yeh"

"yeh"

"yeh"

But a seriously, the reviews are 50% entertainment and 50% informative. It's a great combo.

• Like 1

I love the reviews from FOH. Best on the web

I generally try to get a broad feel for the cigar being reviewed, that seems to steer me reasonably well. I'll then refine it on my own

But I do trust both Rob and Kens palate over most all other "pro" cigar reviewers

Juan Lopez, not human Lopez lol biggrin.png

Although......

Montecristo Soylent Opens :S

Whew, not sure I've really tasted human in a cigar before - I may have smelled dirty feet in the bouquet though.....

Blasted spellcheck.

I definitely put a lot of stock in reviews, but at the same time, I will still give most things--whisky, cigars, or otherwise--a shot myself so that I can make my own decision. But then again, if something seems to be getting pretty unanimously awful reviews, it might be a good idea to stay away altogether. No matter the subject matter, reviews are important for an industry to be kept in check.

I have to say, I've been enjoying what I've seen of the FoH video reviews. Very informative, to the point, and always entertaining. I run a makeshift Instagram account where I make "video" reviews that are 15 seconds or less. It's essentially 15 seconds worth of 1. Introduction 2. Aroma 3. Flavor 4. Construction if necessary 5. Score. Boom, boom, boom. But I enjoy the conversations and elaborations people get into when they do longer reviews.

My text reviews tend to be pretty long-winded. shead.gif

As I watch your cigar reviews I dream about sitting right there with you enjoying a smoke, a drink and a few hundred laughs.

Always great watching you enjoying life and cigars!

What's useful to me is when you say stay away from something, I know if your not enjoying something I won't either.

They're extremely helpful. When I'm thinking about something I haven't tried, the first thing I do is dig thru the FOH Video archives. Have gotten to know the the taste idiosyncrasies of Rob, Ken and Smithy, not to mention the personal attire and footwear, or lack thereof, choices of El Prez and his happy band of merry men. Ken, I love you man, but swab the deck occasionally. All kidding aside, after viewing countless reviews you guys have given me a much more complete appraisal of what to expect from new, to me, sticks as well as updates on how long time regular production staples are currently smoking.

Keep 'em comin'.

For me the FOH reviews are informative and entertaining. It's always good to put a face with a name and to learn the personalities a little.

For other reviews I try to find a reviewer with the same tastes as mine and follow them, or just scan a bunch of reviews for a particular cigar and take the consensus on whether it's good or not.

I'm still pretty early on in my cigar smoking experience, and am constantly discovering new likes and dislikes as I try out new stuff. The video reviews on here are a huge help.

I went through a similar phase with wine tasting a few years ago. As with wine, I'm starting to discover that, while different people will pull out different flavours, it's the balance of those various aspects that is crucial in a good cigar.

The only reviews I believe are my own. Others can only tell you what "they" taste in a cigar, not what "you'll" taste.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk