So how useful are cigar reviews......really

I agree. I've been fortunate to find a couple reviewers with palates similar to my own and can use them as a sort of sounding board for cigars I may like to try.

I also enjoy reading and watching reviews because sometimes I have this flavor I'm getting in a cigar but just can't put my finger on it. Then I'll see a review and be like 'that's IT, green apple fruit salad'!

• Like 1

I find the polls interesting and it often shows me where I fall within the bell curve. The robusto poll helps me identify that I tend to smoke too fast and I need to slow down or I will miss the full experience. In addition, sometimes when I am smoking a cigar I will pull up the FOH review and educate my taste buds by attempting to identify the various flavors. There are times your review comments reflect my own experience and other times they don't. That's what makes smoking cigars enjoyable and interesting for me.

The best part about FOH reviews is the feeling of being there on the deck (past and present locals) and enjoying a good smoke having a good time. The reviews for flavor profiles is the best around but even better is feeling like one of the reprobates on the deck. FOH reviews are what got me hooked on the cc community. Its great watching reviews of a Monte 2 while smoking on.

• Like 1

Absolutely, Cigar, Whisky, Wine appreciation is purely subjective.

Once you determine the flavour profile that gives you the most pleasurable experience, in my experience that's all you need to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best part about FOH reviews is the feeling of being there on the deck (past and present locals) and enjoying a good smoke having a good time. The reviews for flavor profiles is the best around but even better is feeling like one of the reprobates on the deck. FOH reviews are what got me hooked on the cc community. Its great watching reviews of a Monte 2 while smoking on.

Ignore my typos and poor grammer. Fat bastard fingers!!!

I taste honey occasionally, smoke Robustos for upwards of 100 minutes at times (sorry to keep you waiting sir) and prefer Colorado Claro wrappers. Getting older and probably have few tastebuds left given the number of cigars I smoke and amount of Scotch I drink but I do enjoy being alive!

I also like to do a review from time to time as I find it truly helps me smoke more slowly, look for the nuances and really appreciate the particular cigar for what it is.

Interesting to me is I've found a certain Dirty Maverick Ash Drinker and I have very similar palates as evidenced by his blog. Ken, not so much as I prefer wearing shoes, or at minimum sandals....I believe I am more on the normal side of supertasters.

• Like 2

I generally go by the level of excitement that you guys display and either get caught up and buy a box or not. When I smoke one, I can either identify what you are tasting or not. I recognise that my taste buds are definitely on the geezeroid end of the spectrum (stealing petrol in my youth probably did not help) and take what I can. Please keep on reviewing.

Sage advice. I have been a very avid consumer\collector of wine for over 20 years. In the early days I poured over the reviews from big publications and bought blindly based on scores alone. Big mistake. It took me many more years and a lot tasting, as well as activity in various forums to realize that 1) I needed to develop my own tasting skills and recognize what I like and don't like 2) Many reviews have drastically different palates than mine. What they rate high, i don't like. 3) I shared similar tasting preferences with a few members on various forums and there was an opportunity to share my experiences with them and ask for theirs. All in all, a tough and expensive lesson learned

There are a few members on here that i consistently agree with, with regards to cigar preferences, and I always try their recommendations,

Love it my friend! The reviews help me to identify flavors that I can usually taste but can't put my finger on. It helps me to search out those flavors for the next time or even for the first time. When I was a newb, I was always frustrated when I didn't get the same flavors as the reviewers did but now I use them as a tool/guide rather than as a Bible.

• Like 1

I find the reviews very helpful . . . with or without socks . . . innocent.gif

I don't expect to duplicate the reviewers' experience exactly, but the better I come to know their tasting style the more I can usefully interpret their likes to my likes, and that is very helpful for the subjective stuff.

Then for the objective parts: construction, color, draw, etc. it's much more, well, objective. Just knowing that a marca, box and vitola is uniform in construction, smooth wrapper, etc. tells me something very useful.

And then of course there's the entertainment factor of all the silly shirts . . . :P

Absolutely, Cigar, Whisky, Wine appreciation is purely subjective.

Once you determine the flavour profile that gives you the most pleasurable experience, in my experience that's all you need to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't agree with you more.. Cigars are so very subjective as are the single malts I pair them with. I may be having such a fantastic experience enjoying a cigar and drink while my brother, who is smoking the exact same thing pairing it with the exact drink, may have a completely different opinion..

It's amazing, but it's why we do this.. To compare, contrast, speak of the subject and enjoy.

Well put together stats and thoughts Rob.