Taxing Friends

So I'm curious if any of you guys tax some of your friends who want some of your stash?

A few of my friends who like me have been smoking exclusively NC's for quite some time. I've made the switch and slowly getting rid of of NC's to my friends at the cost I've paid for them. Now they see me smoking CC's and want some of mine. I told them to go order through my Vendor but they don't want to, they'd rather get 5 each and call it a day. They don't read reviews or join a forums. Ect....

So I said ok, just wait a few for them to chill from their flight to me and I'll out together some for you guys. Part of me wants to give them some, and the other part of me doesn't. I was thinking if I can make a little profit here and there, I can use that and get a free box of something I want. Does anyone do that? And if so, what do you add per cigar. Now if these were some of my relatives or very close fiends, it wouldn't even be a question, I would hand them over for free.

Curious as to what you guys think. From the time I place an order and run to the mailbox every hour the last 2 months has to have some worth right? LOL!

Thanks!

Man, I should've started this "buddy tax" ages ago, but it seems that I've ended up actually taking a loss. Not a bank breaking loss, but my generous tendencies kick in and prevail every time. They all want samplers, and NEVER want to buy their own boxes.

Sorry, this was hardly any help, just want to say I can relate a bit, I guess.

• Like 1

I would try to convert them. If they just want to be posers and have nothing of value to offer back then I would keep a shadow inventory just for them. I always keep some cheap, but aged Don Carlos or Hemingways on hand for these kind of guys.

Try to get a line on what they like and just mark it up 10% to cover your costs. You can practice talking up how great a cigar the Vegueros or Piedria is while trying to keep a straight face, I dare you :D. With that being said some of my cigar poser friends are VERY high end single malt scotch guys and have treated me and taught me very well so I always make sure I have something nice for them on hand.

I passed around a cab of 01 Partagas Coronas for everyone last time we Herfed and Dramed. Like the dowel magnet that he is R_C found the only plugged stick all night.

• Like 2

I agree with Campanas. Your taking all the risk and using your time. How much is it worth to you? I don't look at is as making a profit as much as just compensation.

If i dont want to give up my cigars, I dont, regardless of how good the friends are or how many they want

I'll give one away for free, but selling some, not if i dont need to.

There are heaps of retailers out there and these guys just sound too lazy to go online and order them themselves.

I've had a lot of people come to me over the years asking for me to put sampliers together. I simply tell them of some genuine sources that sell singles an give them a list of good starting cigars. If they really want to try a cigar, they should be able to take the 10 min it takes to order them like I did.

If I have sticks I no longer smoke or dont like that I'm happy to sell, I charge the buyer what I paid for them.

• Like 2

I practically give mine away in order to convert friends over to the dark side.

Everyone hates the tax man. Don't become one.

And always remember, you have to give to receive.

Last Cigar Sunday I has at my place, I opened a box of 520's. There were six of us, and we all enjoyed them.

In return, I got a bottle of Dalmore 15 yr old and a Hendricks Gin.

It's all swings and roundabouts.

• Like 1

I practically give mine away in order to convert friends over to the dark side.

Everyone hates the tax man. Don't become one.

And always remember, you have to give to receive.

Last Cigar Sunday I has at my place, I opened a box of 520's. There were six of us, and we all enjoyed them.

In return, I got a bottle of Dalmore 15 yr old and a Hendricks Gin.

I've always done the same with my NC's. With the NC's, I can't get them as fast as the NC's and don't always want to be placing orders for people. I know I will get back in return as these buddies of mine own Liquor stores and always bring me a bottle or two. I just don't want to part with any of my CC's. They're like GOLD to me. Lol

I would try to convert them. If they just want to be posers and have nothing of value to offer back then I would keep a shadow inventory just for them. I always keep some cheap, but aged Don Carlos or Hemingways on hand for these kind of guys.

Try to get a line on what they like and just mark it up 10% to cover your costs. You can practice talking up how great a cigar the Vegueros or Piedria is while trying to keep a straight face, I dare you biggrin.png. With that being said some of my cigar poser friends are VERY high end single malt scotch guys and have treated me and taught me very well so I always make sure I have something nice for them on hand.

I passed around a cab of 01 Partagas Coronas for everyone last time we Herfed and Dramed. Like the dowel magnet that he is R_C found the only plugged stick all night.

LOL!!!! The dowel magnet I like that, second one was too tight too! Is this the thanks I get for that grandioso?! lmao

Btw I think I accidentally gave out that jlpc to a buddy thinking it was one of my hupc :facepalm:

I don't give out or sell cigars to jerks, but I will give them out to my friends or the curious. If they insist, I will accept a drink. In your case if you must, I would add 50% if they are mooching acquaintances. D4s at 8 bux become 12 for them.

• Like 1

If a friend of mine comes over and wants to hang out with me while I smoke, they have freedom to pick any regular production cigar I've got in the smoking fridge. That's as close to sampler as they get. If a friend who doesnt know a whole lot asks if I can bring them a good cigar for an occasion, I'll bring them something that's smoking well and they're always satisfied. My friends take good care of me too though. I'd feel ridiculous asking for 10 bucks for a single stick or something.

You'll probably know if they are genuinely interested or just mooches. The former maybe put a fiver of your favourites together with a cheapie cutter and lighter and a list of your favourite vendors and forums etc. and be their cigar yoda, maybe get some cash off the interested people and buy some singles and arrange some blind tasting nights etc

If moochers then just give them the vendor/forum list. Some people will take until you have nothing left

Lots of my pals are US-based, and keep asking me if they can go in with me on a box.

Again, they never want a whole box, just a few to try them out.

What I do now is "syndicate" them. If they don't know one another, I introduce them, and get them to decide what, as a group, they'd like to order in box or cab form. I get it delivered to me, and pass on their "tranche" whenever I see them.

When I explained it was cheaper, they all jumped at the idea.

Because it's a organised arrangement, they're really good a transferring the money on time.

I just divide the cost evenly, and don't charge. After all, typing "2" in the order box is all the effort needed on my part.

But I've definitely made profit in the form of thank-you beers!

I wouldnt call what im doing selling, i usually have a couple of boxes that are generally turnaround fast that i sell them at cost. My friends kind of like as they get a relatively taste of good cigars at very cheap entry price. And generally i do recommend them good cigars that i myself enjoy. They dont have to buy a humidor and i too get to buy more diverse range of cigars. I'm not trying profit it from it, i just want people to enjoy it as i do. Of course on occasions i do give away birthdays or what not but i cant afford to give it away everytime i'm smoking.

If they come over for a smoke,of course my treat. If they want a single, my treat. If they want a quanity they'll have to pay for them. A little mark up for your trouble?? Depends on who it is. Would they or do they go out of there way for others?

I had a friend who wanted to treat his client to a couple of cc. I showed him my sticks and what each was worth. He grabbed a couple, didn't pay me but brought me a bottle a couple days later...I was good with that.

• Like 2

My Father told me "you don't make money on your friends." I also believe in not losing money either unless it is a gift. I tend to buy more than I need anyways and I don't mind selling them a few extra sticks here and there. I am now at a point with them that before I make a purchase I send them an email and see how many they would like & adjust my order accordingly. However, I don't sell them my aged stock or hard to find favorites. If I give those out they are typically gifts.

• Like 1

I will give a great cigar to a great friend a cigar. I will give a good cigar to a good friend. I will give a decent cigar to almost anyone if I think they will smoke them completely. From time to time I have talked about splitting a box with BOTL but selling samplers would be too much.

I never up charge friends.

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more. I had a friend of mine, not a close friend, who would stop by occasionally (once every 2 months or so) and would smoke 2-3 cigars that day. I didn't make anything off limits. He did this for years and I didn't say a word. First with NC and now with my CC since that's just about all I have now. He was less successful at first but has since made a nice career for himself. Last visit he shows up with a bottle of 21 year old Balvenie Portwood and the funds to order a box. He felt bad that he thought he was a mooch. Sometimes you never know.

Ultimately it depends on how you feel about it personally and how you'll feel about it after.

Rarely do I sell cigars but do from time to time for various reasons and even rarer is it to friends. I give lots of cigars away to my friends out of friendship but I am not in the habit of financing anyone's hobbies and I have never had the unfortunate occurrence of anyone trying to cut corners by going through me, if they did, I'd have no problem letting them know how to go about acquiring these wonderful pleasure sticks of their own accord.

? Would I be considered a villainess if I were to give "posers" who don't know a EL Producto from a Edicion Limitada one or more of the fakes I have on hand that I ended up with through the years but just didn't toss yet?

Man, I should've started this "buddy tax" ages ago, but it seems that I've ended up actually taking a loss. Not a bank breaking loss, but my generous tendencies kick in and prevail every time. They all want samplers, and NEVER want to buy their own boxes.

Sorry, this was hardly any help, just want to say I can relate a bit, I guess.

Sometimes it feels like I have given away as many cigars as I have smoked. If they are good friends, then it is no problem. I have charged my cost a few times to people though.

• Like 1

I have a few people that come to me to buy a few sticks at a time, & when they do I add a little extra. I usually by boxes because it's cheaper per stick, so when some one wants 5 or 7 sticks, I charge a similar rate like any other retailer. I don't gouge but if I'm fronting the cost plus storage & convenience then you gotta pay for that. Unless it's family or a close friend because they normally scratch your back when you least notice it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My one friends who I've introduced CCs to at first would buy fiver off of me and eventually moved on to boxes I just tell him when there's a sale and he ll order a box and I'll tell how much. I don't make any money but he always gives me a couple of sticks out of the box for my "troubles". I store the box for him as we live close to each other. Honestly I'm just happy to have someone to smoke regularly with.