Taxing Friends

If you really don't want to be giving up any of your cubans, be honest and tell them that. Just say you want to be aging your cigars and don't feel you have enough to be selling any samplers. Suggest helping them place their first order etc, but your reason is understandable.

• Like 3

For 30 or so sticks personally I'd invite him over for some cigars and a drink and help him plan out a 30-cigar sampler order based on what he likes and what you think he would enjoy from that etc.

You could always order two of each cigar and go halves on the order and then you have 30 mini herfs for the future where you can explore the hobby together

When I do the ordering in a split I keep the odd stick and charge for the foreign transaction fee. I'll trade with friends, it usually "works out in the wash." If friends are coming over, I hand out smokes that are in concert with their ability to appreciate what their smoking. I never upcharge friends.

One "friend" sold a box I got for him for twice what he paid. He's out of the club.....tantrum.gif

• Like 1

Smoking with one of my buddies tonight, and I showed him this thread, he laughed his ass off! He brought me 8 Padron 1946 to trade for a mix of 8, as I love my Padrons. I told him I won't sell him any, as I really don't want too. He understood and said he will trade me whatever he has that I want, I told him I want his Fuente Sharks as they are my favorite NC.

What made the evening ever better, he is buying my Aristocrat End Table and wants most of my NC's and the cheaper ones to sell in his liquor store. I'm a happy guy this evening.

On another note, as I was wrong this, a SKUNK just walked right past me in my backyard as I was sitting down. Scared the **** out of me. 10 feet in front of me. Never been that close to a stinker.

I will share a stick with almost anyone,that being said i don't sell my sticks. I take the risk ,if they want some I will order them for them. If it gets to be to much to often I tell them how to get them. I never up charge and have been blessed to be able to buy back some of those boxes back. I have gotten boxes from two guys that bought a lot years ago but don't smoke much anymore. You reap what you sow.

• Like 1

Given the risks I have to take to bring in Cubans. (Duties, not embargo). I'd resent people trying to take a shortcut by asking me to sell to them. That's just lazy.

^^^this

I'm on another forum as well and I always see people asking the members to put together samplers for them. The funny thing is, one of the more popular NC retailers sponsors the forum and has links up on every page. I often comment that if they want samplers, the sponsoring retailer has plenty on their site to order. If they want CC's there are a number of legit sources that also sell CC samplers.

Anyone who constantly hits theirs friends up for sticks is either too lazy to take the 10min to order themselves or just a cheap bastard hoping they'll get a good deal from someone trying to help a brother out

• Like 1

^^^this

I'm on another forum as well and I always see people asking the members to put together samplers for them. The funny thing is, one of the more popular NC retailers sponsors the forum and has links up on every page. I often comment that if they want samplers, the sponsoring retailer has plenty on their site to order. If they want CC's there are a number of legit sources that also sell CC samplers.

Anyone who constantly hits theirs friends up for sticks is either too lazy to take the 10min to order themselves or just a cheap bastard hoping they'll get a good deal from someone trying to help a brother out

Agreed. And either way, it may be best in the long run to just find better people to spend your precious leisure time with.

? Would I be considered a villainess if I were to give "posers" who don't know a EL Producto from a Edicion Limitada one or more of the fakes I have on hand that I ended up with through the years but just didn't toss yet?

yes, and a righteous villainess at that. :D

• Like 2

I have friend that always says "I'll buy a 5er off you" whenever he sees that I have a new box. I rarely sell him any. I told him if I only wanted a box of 20 I wouldn't be buying boxes of 25. He never gets the hint though.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As a naturally generous kind of guy i simply go with what leaves me feeling good in regard to other people.

Tonight was a classic example, my wife and I were out enjoying a nice meal together at a local restaurant and on paying the tab I spontaneously felt like covering a nice young couples meal who were eating in the restaurant too.

"no reason"...just passing it forward because I can.

Would have been a nice surprise for them.

If I find myself feeling resentful in anyway I just bring balance to the equation...

• Like 3

Last week I gave to a friend 30 NC's. I simply do not smoke them anymore. I can't see a point taxing him.

If I go to a friend's house I always take with me 3 cigars and share with him or someone else.

If someone asks me I do not tax as well. But if it is a hard to find cigar I don't give it unless it's a cigar smoker like us. Not even sell.

• Like 1

Think I've given out half of my epi 2s and jl2s since I got the box a couple months ago LOL. Just gave one to a coworker today who is a really good guy because I've been talking about it for awhile. This past friday also I had a nail in my tire, went to the local tire shop and the guy patched it after pulling the nail. Asked him how much he just waived it off, he said it's ok. I asked him if he smoked cigars and he said yes so I hit him with an epi 2. Cigars are my currency.

• Like 3

The closest I've come to what could be called 'selling' was when I was obsessed with the idea of trying a Behike. I didn't want to spring for a whole box, so I found a few guys at work willing to 'buy in' on the box with me. They are casual smokers but I sold them on the idea of trying a $35. cigar. They each got one at my cost and I kept and gifted the rest to family.

I actually only buy Siglo I's because my daughter loves them. I keep trying to steer her towards other marcas but she's stuck on them

My other hobby is pyrotechnics. Strange coincidence, but all the old traditional Italian style builders also happen to be cigar smokers. Every time we get together we all bring cigars and champagne to try and outdo each other as to who can gift the best. I don't drink, but I always have good cigars for everybody.

No interest in 'selling' to anyone.

• Like 1

I agree with the general theme of giving being better than selling. Mind you I have not had to deal with mooches: that would be such bad form in the circle I run in. One friend is priced out of regular cigar smoking so he gets free access to the humi when we get together. Last year he picked up a few Monte 3s and Siglo 1s at Canadian retail to contribute to the humi - must have killed his budget. Great guy. I told him that my wife tolerates my cigars only because I am happy to share with others. I have on occasion ordered a box to be split, but with the clear caveat that there is a risk of confiscation by customs or risk of customs surcharges - so long as everyone is happy with the risk of paying for nothing or paying more, then I'm good with doing the work. Over time they ended up ordering direct from our host.

• Like 1

As my boxes have grown to 71 since January 27, I see myself handing out more and more. I don't mind. I have a few friends that we share, trade for Booze. It's all equals out. Passed out of few the bother day at a cigar shop because the employee sold me a couple boxes of Cigars that had a limit 2 and he didn't know. I just got one guy that won't stop asking me for some. I just gave him my source and hope he orders from them.

I gave some dude a cigar last night who came up and asked for a light for his nc and found out later his wife thought I was trying to one up her, what kind of twisted logic is this? I was at an utter loss for words, might make me reconsider giving sticks out!

I give cigars to friends all the time. Had a friend that hooked me up with some solid sources when I was just starting. He fell on some tough times for a bit and I would give him a bag full of singles every couple of months for quite sometime. A few times he offered me a few bucks but would not take it. Though after 6 or 7 boxes I did get a little mad when he one day stopped by out of blue and hand picked a bag full of my best PSP cigars. I have to say, the man had great taste.

Have learned to keep some NC's around for the moochers!