Pre-embargo value

I recently visited a shop in San Francisco that has pre-embargo Cubans. They looked to be in great shape and smelled heavenly. But honestly, I can't imagine spending $200+ on cigar. They had some 1958 Monte 2 for $280. None of the cigars had a band. How do you place a fair value on a cigar 60+ years old?

Can it be $268 better than any good handpicked Monte 2 that you can purchase now and let rest?

For $280 a stick it better come with a birth certificate and it's travel papers accounting for everywhere it has been and how it has been stored.

I'd say not worth it, even if "expenses" is relative to each individual, I still say not worth it.

I recently visited a shop in San Francisco that has pre-embargo Cubans. They looked to be in great shape and smelled heavenly. But honestly, I can't imagine spending $200+ on cigar. They had some 1958 Monte 2 for $280. None of the cigars had a band. How do you place a fair value on a cigar 60+ years old?

You are tempted, right?

Go there and buy one Monte 2. It will not break you.

Few weeks ago I had a Monte 1 from 1980. It was good and if I hadn't bought it I still would have it in my mind.

• Like 1

good god, what store was this? i live in san francisco and i can't think of any decent cigar shops that would have anything that special

Vendetta in the Fairmont Hotel. I was just curious how value is placed. I would never spend $280 on a 1958 Monte 2 unless it was perhaps owned by Winston Churchill or something. I'd rather have a full box of Monte 2 for that price or hell even a couple Monte GR. He did have some cigars in their respective boxes though. Most were in ziploc bags (kept in a humidor of course). You can look the place up on Yelp...seems to be reputable.

Yea Shlomo it's $280 per stick (well $265 plus tax which is close to $280). Cheapest cigar was around $135. Funny how there was a box of ERDM Demi Tasse. I asked him about those (how expensive could an aged Demi Tasse be?) and he said he was holding those for a client. Was kinda fishy as I doubt that box was pre-embargo....looked recent.

Yea Shlomo it's $280 per stick (well $265 plus tax which is close to $280). Cheapest cigar was around $135. Funny how there was a box of ERDM Demi Tasse that I swore looked not too old. I asked him about those (how expensive could an aged Demi Tasse be?) and he said he was holding those for a client....lol.

I'm not from Malaysia....but I'm flattered you remembered my avatar! party.gif

Well I have never heard of the Monte #2 being without a band. And without some serious paperwork and trust to make sure that what was in the 1950's box (is was in a box right?) was actually a Monte #2 and a really good reason why it didn't have a band there is no way I would buy it for $50.

Having bought vintage cigars at auction there is always a concern and even then it can be a crap stick.

Good luck to them and it would be neat to get word from someone who buys one or gets "the rest of the story"

As others have said, there's no way on earth I would pay $280 for one cigar, even if it were to be a life-changing experience, extend my life by 100 years and make Kate Beckinsale fall in love with me.

That's a complete lie, obviously. But a cigar is just a cigar.