Picture/video of the great Davidoff cigar bonfire

Yeah, damn good point. After Zino claimed to have invented the internet . . . er, humidor . . . I think I want to see video evidence of any other outlandish claims by Msr. Davidoff!

I'm reading this in my ipad (inventor: zino davidoff) while sitting on my hammock chair (inventor: zino davidoff) smoking a lovely parti short (inventor: zino davidoff) lit with my butane jet lighter (invented by who?: zino davidoff) which I took from my desktop humidor (invented by whom you say? Bam, zino davidoff). I'm listening to a history podcast (read by the multi-faceted mr. Zino. Davidoff esq. ) thru these Bose noise cancelling headphones (original concept: zino "mad skillz" davidoff"

biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Not sure what old Zino would think of half assed remarks, but he sure he did a lot for the cigar culture that we should be grateful for.

• Like 3

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm reading this in my ipad (inventor: zino davidoff) while sitting on my hammock chair (inventor: zino davidoff) smoking a lovely parti short (inventor: zino davidoff) lit with my butane jet lighter

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust Zino buried the loot to create this fuss Twenty five years later we still discuss The "destruction" of his cigars Que the auctionieer who cheers "Another record sal

I really shake my head to those who ridicule or minimise the contribution of legends to this hobby. This is not aimed at anyone in particular mind you.....just the current social need to drag down th

I am not 100% sure but a few years ago Davidoff released a diadema set of cigars at the rtda that included a book and a DVD on Zino. I remember seeing a picture either in the book or on the DVD of the incident. I will dig it out and check this weekend.

He's certainly a divisive person. I would love a cigar culture like the US: honest with no delusions of grandeur, opposed to the stuffy and hilariously pompous one we have in Europe. Ignoring anything to do with personal lives or personal likes/dislikes-never met the person so couldn't comment, so purely his list of donts:

Don't :

• Use a penknife to cut or pierce the end of the cigar.
  • Touch the flame directly to the foot of the cigar, simply rotate it around the edge instead, until it begins to burn, and then puff on it lightly.
  • Lighting a cigar should be a personal experience; never ask someone else for a light.
  • Light your cigar too slowly or too quickly.
  • Indulge in exhibitionism, whether you are lighting or smoking your cigar.
  • Relight your cigar if less than one quarter of it is leaf.
  • Put the cigar in your mouth to relight it.
  • Simply scrape off the excess ash and turn the cigar in the flame for several seconds until it relights.
  • Clench your cigar between your teeth.
  • Wet the end of your cigar. Don’t chew it, or slobber on it either.
  • Smoke too quickly.
  • Ever use a cigar holder.
  • Stick a toothpick or matchstick in the end of the cigar to help hold it in your mouth.
  • Dip your cigar in port or brandy, a habit attributed to Winston Churchill.
  • Smoke whilst working.
  • Hold a cigar between your index and middle finger; always between thumb and index finger.
  • Smoke whilst walking in public.
  • Smoke more than half the cigar.
  • Put the cigar out by crushing it in an ashtray. Let your cigar die a natural death.
  • Chain-smoke cigars.

I think stopped any chance of that and continues to damage the cigar smoking culture to this day. When people first try to start up this hobby his list of Dos and Donts are one of the first things that pops up. Now obviously it would be silly to say he is solely responsible for this culture and this has nothing to do on wether he was a good person or not, but he was very influential and promoted that culture (If you can call such a thing culture). Of course sensible people have been forced to react and make their own groups based on friendship, laughter, support and smoking whatever you like however you like. But try to do that in London, if they actually let you into certain places/stores without a public school tie, a butler and two Labrador accompanying you, and they will view you as an alien. The result is

US cigar smoker stereotype:

35_1ConstructionCigar3.jpg

European cigar smoker stereotype:

3714709-dandy-figure-with-bow-tie-top-hat-and-a-monocle.jpg

There are no cigar bars/lounges in the UK for the average guy, for the common bloke who enjoys cigars but doesn't want to deal with the pompousness of other places. To my knowledge there is a single famous pub near Birmingham (The Prince) which has an outside tented area dedicated to cigars and real down to earth people meet there and arrange herfs. One place for a whole nation is sad and a damning verdict of how the 'culture' is in the UK.

Just my 2c smile.png

• Like 2

Wow,

Am I happy my Europe is a little village where all kinds of cigar smoking people meet to have fun and smoke cigars, from construction workers to airport security guys, to retired jobless guys sitting next to lawyers mooching cigars from a tooth-paste company clerk guy to young apprentices on their first job.

And I am not meaning the pharmacy or the Irish pub or the other places we cigar smoking guys meet around here - I mean the real cigar world I know in my Europe.

The Germany I live, the Spain I grew up, the Portugal I vacation, the Hungary I like, the Belgium I visit, etc, p.p.

No BS, no snobbery, no divides and no stereotypes in our cigar world. Regular people smoking cigars after a good day's work.

Think it very shortsighted to reduce the man Zino to his Dont's.

Or maybe very specific to a place separated by fog & accents & fetishes like school ties & class dividers from the continent I live on.

Me - as well as all my smoking mates here - couldn't give a flying fxxxk about that Don't List and I don't think anyone has ever seen it or would adhere to it except for some wannabe-penguin-pom trying to copy a long gone era and upper lip.

And I don't for one moment believe that people who start smoking cigars have this list "pop up" - that is far-fetched class struggle.

Let me confess my sins :

I put the cigar in my mouth

I clench it in my teeth

I use a toothpick if yummy

I hold it between any finger I bloody please

I smoke it right down the bloody end

I chain smoke

But also :

I have never, ever, crushed a cigar in an ashtray and I would not associate with anyone doing such sacrilege - you have to respect a cigar - toss it, sink it, drop it, forget it, bin it, - but crush it ?? Never.

Happy to live in my corner of Europe.

• Like 2

Not sure what old Zino would think of half assed remarks, but he sure he did a lot for the cigar culture that we should be grateful for.

I'm reasonably sure he invented half assed remarks. I read it on the internet.

But seriously. Having a joke and respecting someone for their achievements are not mutually exclusive

I wear a jacket and tie - I am not a real cigar smoker

I wear jeans and a t-shirt - I am not a real cigar smoker

Zino, Suckling, Jay-Z, Aussie Cigar Tsar who charges extra for taking the time to go through and grade cigars

Public reverse snobbery piñatas

I can choose be part of the solution

I can be part of the problem

He's certainly a divisive person. I would love a cigar culture like the US: honest with no delusions of grandeur, opposed to the stuffy and hilariously pompous one...

There are no cigar bars/lounges in the UK for the average guy, for the common bloke who enjoys cigars but doesn't want to deal with the pompousness of other places. To my knowledge there is a single famous pub near Birmingham (The Prince) which has an outside tented area dedicated to cigars and real down to earth people meet there and arrange herfs. One place for a whole nation is sad and a damning verdict of how the 'culture' is in the UK.

Just my 2c smile.png

I don't live in the UK any more, but when I was back last year I spent a very nice afternoon at Cuban Cigar Club in very un-pompous Newcastle Upon Tyne. Friendly group, mixed backgrounds, engaging and brought together by love of the leaf. Not a toff in sight.

In 1989 the conflict between Cubatabaco (headed by Francisco Padron) and Davidoff, was reported in all newspapers in France, including Zino Davidoff's claim about destruction of cigars but I can't remember one single picture of the supposed bonfire, and I can't find one in the newspapers online archives.

The cigar revolution was not televised! jester.gif

The story was indeed reported (not that I was into cigars back then, but I have seen news articles and such...) But just because a news story is reported, doesn't make it accurate or even factual. Would love some proof, although really makes no difference at the end of the day.

I don't live in the UK any more, but when I was back last year I spent a very nice afternoon at Cuban Cigar Club in very un-pompous Newcastle Upon Tyne. Friendly group, mixed backgrounds, engaging and brought together by love of the leaf. Not a toff in sight.

I genuinely forgot CCC, it's a nice mix of the Mosely crew and locals. The guys have balls too, who would have put money on opening a CC store in Newcastle and it thriving!

Or maybe very specific to a place separated by fog & accents & fetishes like school ties & class dividers from the continent I live on.

Me - as well as all my smoking mates here - couldn't give a flying fxxxk about that Don't List and I don't think anyone has ever seen it or would adhere to it except for some wannabe-penguin-pom trying to copy a long gone era and upper lip.

It is sadly true. London survives on playing to old stereotypes, not just cigars but (generally) hotels, clothing stores, boutique stores etc.. All try to place themselves back in time at the height of the empire. If you do not have the right school tie or the wrong regional accent or your clothes are not 'acceptable' you are not welcome. I've friends who have been treated like dirt by staff in certain cigar stores because of their accent or clothing.

The wannabe penguin is alive and very much flourishing!

The city is a crazy place, a raw vibe in some corners due to modern reality but stuck in an age gone by in others. Quite possibly the most unfriendly place I've ever been to. When you leave the city things change but inside it, it can be very unpleasant due to said craziness.

The cigar culture there is almost poisonous to anyone in their right mind, there are a few wonderful exceptions such as JJ Fox but they swim against the tide.

And I don't for one moment believe that people who start smoking cigars have this list "pop up" - that is far-fetched class struggle.

Google is a far-fetched class struggle? Those lists are taken seriously by the 'penguins' no joking! I've seen it given as advice to new smokers!

Like i say luckily out in the country away from London groups are forming and they are made up of the best people you could hope to meet, caring, funny and real etc, united by cigars not by wanting to look down on others. But it is slow and people are genuinely surprised upon joining to find out that we don't all wear tuxedos and laugh at poor people etc etc, that stereotype is sadly alive and well here and things like Zinos Rules are very relevant to these people to this day :s

Zino has changed and brought cigar culture to what it is now. I can only count such a few who have changed an industry and culture as he has.

As for the bonfire, I weep for all the Moutons that were allegedly slaughtered.

It is sadly true.

The wannabe penguin is alive and very much flourishing!

The cigar culture there is almost poisonous to anyone in their right mind, there are a few wonderful exceptions such as JJ Fox but they swim against the tide.

Those lists are taken seriously by the 'penguins' no joking! I've seen it given as advice to new smokers!

Like i say luckily out in the country away from London groups are forming and they are made up of the best people you could hope to meet, caring, funny and real etc, united by cigars not by wanting to look down on others. But it is slow and people are genuinely surprised upon joining to find out that we don't all wear tuxedos and laugh at poor people etc etc, that stereotype is sadly alive and well here and things like Zinos Rules are very relevant to these people to this day :s

Thanks for the insight into a time tunnel .. sounds like a terrible experience.

The only UK people I know are good down to earth guys like The Fox brothers, Nic Wing, Simon Chase and a few other good blokes, so it's hard to relate to such "cigar culture".

Nobody with any backbone would accept such hilarious Dont's ( and I am not sure Zino drafted that list - he would have been the first cigar smoker rejected by the penguins due to his origins and emigrant background ).

Still, I fail to see how Zino should be held accountable for the cigar "un-culture" or aberrations of a single city or country - or made the target of bad jokes.

I do believe he made some great contributions to the cigar world and admire his adventourous & innovative spirit.

It is sadly true. London survives on playing to old stereotypes, not just cigars but (generally) hotels, clothing stores, boutique stores etc.. All try to place themselves back in time at the height of the empire. If you do not have the right school tie or the wrong regional accent or your clothes are not 'acceptable' you are not welcome. I've friends who have been treated like dirt by staff in certain cigar stores because of their accent or clothing.

Cap, as a northerner who's lived in London over ten years, this isn't my experience. I've met some of the nicest, most generous, decent people through cigars in London. Admittedly you will also find your share of tossers, but that isn't exclusive to cigars!

• Like 1

I think you can determine a person's character in the way they smoke a cigar. Several times each summer, I host a gathering in my back yard. I put out bottles and glasses and open the humidor and people help themselves. There is only one other regular cigar smoker in the group and all,of us truly enjoy just sitting around with a smoke and a glass of rum or whisky and relaxing on a summer afternoon.

When I cut my cigar, take a cold draw or two and toast the end very casually without saying anything, I model my ritual of smoking a cigar. Others ask me to cut theirs for them and some light theirs gently, following my process. I never 'correct' anyone. One fellow who came over, lit his cigar in a huge burst of flame and kept torching it as he huffed and puffed. As he smoked, he kept mashing the ash in the ashtray. There was something edgy about his persona that was telegraphed in how he treated the cigar. Later I heard a howl of pain in the kitchen from one of my cats and the only person in the room was this same guy. I do not know what happened but as I entered the room, I heard him say "you shouldn't have been on the table". This fellow won't be invited back.

I want to read more about Zino Davidoff as I have only been in Davidoff in London and heard bits and pieces of his story. This thread presents an interesting discussion of class and wealth distinctions in the cigar world. I am by no means wealthy (I drive a twelve year old car with 117,000 miles on it and owe the credit card company more than I like) but I have smoked with multimillionaires and fellow workers and we have all shared a moment enjoying a damn good smoke.

• Like 3

Hey I'm glad this thread has evolved a discussion about cigar culture in general.

To clarify, I'm pretty sure the Mickey being taken originally comes from a dumb question I asked RE did Mr Davidoff invent the humidor. The jokes made were a play on that, no more. Having a joke does not mean anyone's demeaning anybody's contribution to anything.

I'm sure Zino Davidoff did make great contributions and I would love to learn more about them. But more than anything I would like to thank Zino Davi........ Rob Ayala for inventing this little corner of the interwebs for us all to enjoy

Cheers, have a great weekend everyone

• Like 1

I really shake my head to those who ridicule or minimise the contribution of legends to this hobby. This is not aimed at anyone in particular mind you.....just the current social need to drag down those that have achieved and contributed so much.

No intentions of ridiculing or minimising, I said earlier this was in no way a post about Zino as a person or anything beyond purely the mythical Do's and Do nots list that is held up over here.

I'd happily change my opinion on the subject if someone could point out the opposite views and convince me! Based on my own and friends experience with a majority of UK smoking venues/stores the whole Edwardian/penguin/look down on others culture is alive and very much thriving. If people don't wear the full morning suits the attitude is still there. It's the polar opposite of the BOTL ethos and famous subject matter like the Zino list really, really doesn't help matter here.

It's not a world ending issue, it's nothing more than a first world grievance! But it would be lovely to have a culture in this country which hasn't resulted in good and honest people resorting to make their own communities as a by-product of being shunned by the majority. Of course these new BOTL communities are fantastic but it would have been nice if they happened naturally like they have in Oz or the US and not as a result of being forced out by the many

Just some late night thoughts! peace.gif

Great thread this has turned out to be.

I have not looked into cigar history at all, history has never held my attention that well but its worth a read, any good books you fellas can recommend?.