Cuaba: Is there a future? If so, how would you fix it?

HSA has discontinued many good cigars over the years that has left us scratching our heads. Not so sure this one would be missed.

I would miss them. So would some others. Just because you are not a fan, doesn't mean they should just cut them all out in order to produce more over-hyped, underfilled and underwhelming cigars...

• Like 1

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I almost forgot, add a britanicas vitola! Every marca should have a britanicas/celestiales finos

Imagine a world where LGC/Cuaba/Ramon Allones/Diplomatico/El Rey Del Mundo/Sancho Panza each was a specialty unit owned 50% by a passionista and 50% by HSA. The passionista funds and develops the

How about shutting down Cuaba and Monte Open and rebuilding Ramon Allones, LGC or Diplomatico instead?

You slash and burn types really give me the s#%ts! What would the world be without variation? Boring.

The Salomone and the Divinos are unique and decent smokes IMO. Would love more Figurados in the HSA lineup vs 4x55 inch stumpy smokes.

• Like 2

I would miss them. So would some others. Just because you are not a fan, doesn't mean they should just cut them all out in order to produce more over-hyped, underfilled and underwhelming cigars...

I'd miss them too. I like Cuaba but the problem is (in my experience) they need some age on them to be good, plus construction can be an issue.

I'd miss them too. I like Cuaba but the problem is (in my experience) they need some age on them to be good, plus construction can be an issue.

I Love Cuaba !

Yes, I am wierd, but I really enjoy the retro shapes, as well as the blends.

But they do indeed need time.

To me, they are the perfecto extention of R&J, and, when well aged,

remind me most of a well-matured R&J Churchill.

My favorite is the mid-sized Exclusivo.

Two boxes of '01s, bought fresh, have been a total delight,

and I still have most of the second box.

'04 Generosos are also smoking well.

Never a problem with construction with either cigar,

and every smoke seems to be better than the previous one.

I would like to see the full line maintained, as each has its own qualites,

and, of course, it is a rather unique marca.

Sometimes, it is best to leave well enough alone.

While perfectos are not at all fashonable these days,

these cigars are a link to a rich history, which it would be a great shame to lose.

Cuaba may be only a small part of my rotation,

but I'll take one over a Robusto any time.

My suggestions would be:

Either slimmer, shorter figurados or introduce a lancero, corona Gordas and petit corona size.

Seeing the rise of the h Upmann half corona and the RG Perla, introduce this as well. Price wise, it wouldn't be a huge issue and a shorter smoke would be a good seller in colder climates.

Need people to think about the blend vs. the shape....

I love the Exclusivo. I find the Divino a punchy little cigar, perfect for a 30-40 minute smoke.

The Traditionale hasn`t done the same thing for me, I find them boring. The Piramides is my favorite.

Age is kind to these for sure.

Man, I'll cry (albeit briefly) if this marca gets the axe. The Distinguidos have always had a place for me, and I would love to see some quality and passion injected back into them. When they are good, there is nothing better than that first big blast once you crest the apex of the first taper, then you just ride the wave until you notice your fingers are hot...

Mmm. Time to toss one into the traveldor.

Sad that many I've had recently have tasted like lawn clippings rolled in burlap by a monkey.

So many times I have put a box or another in my shopping cart, just to remember come checkout time that I have about a 50% fail rate with past examples - either construction, or flavor, or both and "delete" it goes...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I Love Cuaba !

Yes, I am wierd, but I really enjoy the retro shapes, as well as the blends.

But they do indeed need time.

To me, they are the perfecto extention of R&J, and, when well aged,

remind me most of a well-matured R&J Churchill.

My favorite is the mid-sized Exclusivo.

Two boxes of '01s, bought fresh, have been a total delight,

and I still have most of the second box.

'04 Generosos are also smoking well.

Never a problem with construction with either cigar,

and every smoke seems to be better than the previous one.

I would like to see the full line maintained, as each has its own qualites,

and, of course, it is a rather unique marca.

Sometimes, it is best to leave well enough alone.

While perfectos are not at all fashonable these days,

these cigars are a link to a rich history, which it would be a great shame to lose.

Cuaba may be only a small part of my rotation,

but I'll take one over a Robusto any time.

God bless you. Roll that passion into production and the Marque would be stellar.

Cuba seems to have issues rolling perfecto shaped cigars well and consistently, I've lost count of how many have had the unique quality of plugged ends and wind tunnel middles! Roller improvement for these vitola is a must.

-keep divinos, salomones and distinguidos

-introduce the 08 EL as regular production

-introduce a robusto

-Introduce a band that wasn't created by a bored 6 year old with crayons

-plain ceder 10 count boxes with a black and gold stamp (duty free sales)

-a regular 25 count box design not from the school of rafael gonzalez

My suggestions would be:

wont make any sense to produce a non figurado Cuaba....and for a short smoke, grab a divino. far more enjoyable than either the perla or half corona imo.

very comparable to the fuente short story, but with less robust flavours and a typical cuban signature.

Either slimmer, shorter figurados or introduce a lancero, corona Gordas and petit corona size.

Seeing the rise of the h Upmann half corona and the RG Perla, introduce this as well. Price wise, it wouldn't be a huge issue and a shorter smoke would be a good seller in colder climates.

Need people to think about the blend vs. the shape....

makes little sense in selling a non figurado in a marca that is all figurado.

and for a smaller smoke, there already is thd divino. superior to the perlas and half coronas imo.

reminds me of a fuente short story, but with a typical Cuban signature

Cuaba....oh Cuaba...where are you going.

There is no other premium marque that sits on the shelf as long as Cuaba. I walk past them month in and month out in the humidor and I can here the box lids opening ...whispering.."pick me..pick me...find me a home Rob"

I don't want to break their little hearts....

Maybe do a Pirate's Pick of those poor guys, a sampler made up of 5 divinos, 2 distinguidos and 1 salomones ?

Take a sampler along to ken for a vid review to go with the sampler sale?

I fear I may have opened something dangerous with this suggestion! :D

• Like 1

I really like the idea of Cuabas but I don't buy many.

I think what would help the entire line is if 5 mm was cut off every one before boxing, maybe a bit less for the Divinos.

Does anyone really enjoy smoking that part?

I find I usually have to "smoke though it" before I can start enjoying it.

• Like 1

and for a smaller smoke, there already is thd divino. superior to the perlas and half coronas imo.

reminds me of a fuente short story, but with a typical Cuban signature

Sales figures and brand awareness would say otherwise. Before you dismiss other people's ideas, based on your personal taste/preferences, perhaps look at the bigger market environment. The current sales/marketing/brand strategy is clearly not working. Sometimes, you need to revitalize things by introducing something new to bring back awareness.

Outside of hard core cigar smokers, people are looking for smaller, flavourful, well priced cigars globally. The sales success of H Upmann Half Corona and RG perlas demonstrate this:

The keys to their success IMHO

1) use quality leaf (for both blend and visual appeal)

2) launch at a venue with lots of influencial people (habanos festival: merchandisers, reviewers, key influencers)

3) get packaging right (offer in 5 pack tins, 10 packs or 25 count)

4) price it well so people are willing to give it a shot (price in between h upmann half coronas and rg perlas)

Having re read the thread, I have yet to see your view on what possible solutions that you can offer. Just comments on other peoples opinions, which is the basis of this thread. Ready to share?

Exactly.

Even the EL piramide was sort of out of place.

Cuaba = Perfecto.

This is its "raison d'etre" - its reason for existance.

There is otherwise no point to the marca whatsoever.

Adding in Parejos (straight cigars) would be like mixing water into wine.

• Like 1

Keep: Divinos, Exclusivos & Salomones

Bin: Generosos, Distinguidos

Relaunch the Diadema as an EL with the shiny foil and an extra band.

Bring back the Traditionales as a well-priced RE in the manner of the PL Secreto

Relaunch 5 packs or introduce tins, aimed at the duty free market and impulse purchases

Sales figures and brand awareness would say otherwise. Before you dismiss other people's ideas, based on your personal taste/preferences, perhaps look at the bigger market environment. The current sales/marketing/brand strategy is clearly not working. Sometimes, you need to revitalize things by introducing something new to bring back awareness.

Outside of hard core cigar smokers, people are looking for smaller, flavourful, well priced cigars globally. The sales success of H Upmann Half Corona and RG perlas demonstrate this:

The keys to their success IMHO

1) use quality leaf (for both blend and visual appeal)

2) launch at a venue with lots of influencial people (habanos festival: merchandisers, reviewers, key influencers)

3) get packaging right (offer in 5 pack tins, 10 packs or 25 count)

4) price it well so people are willing to give it a shot (price in between h upmann half coronas and rg perlas)

Having re read the thread, I have yet to see your view on what possible solutions that you can offer. Just comments on other peoples opinions, which is the basis of this thread. Ready to share?

I buy and smoke way more Perlas and HUHC than Cuabas.

That being said, the point of this thread was not to discuss the relative merits of other cigars,

but rather to discuss our ideas about and experiences with Cuaba.

and our opinions about whether the marca needs revitalisation, change, or even deletion.

I believe Shlomo stated his position rather clearly.

I love the perfecto shape. The Exclusivo's I've smoked have been great. Very Trinidad like in flavour. A line of perfectos only does seem a bit silly to me. Perhaps shave down the offerings to 3 sizes. Small/Med/Large. Have each one's blend be far different from each other. OTOH as a brand. I think this has failed. It's hard to say kill the line because Habanos has already reduced their portfolio so much that it'd be a shame to lose any more cigars (minus Guantanamera) ;) I don't think an LE could save this. A lot of positive things were said about the 2008 Piramide but not enough to actually generate a lot of interest. The most radical idea I can suggest is to possibly kill the line, but have some of the cigars join other marca's lineup with a blend to match. I'd love to see a Cohiba or RA perfecto. :)