Cuaba: Is there a future? If so, how would you fix it?

As a cigar geek I have spent dozens of hours in cigar shops in France, discussing with the boss or the clerks and incidentally watching customers purchasing their cigars.

I can tell you that people new to cigars are literally scared by Cuaba, because of their shape (specially the smaller sizes); then a one shot, non-figurado, affordable vitola would certainly help for brand awareness (assuming it's well blended and well rolled).

• Like 1

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I almost forgot, add a britanicas vitola! Every marca should have a britanicas/celestiales finos

Imagine a world where LGC/Cuaba/Ramon Allones/Diplomatico/El Rey Del Mundo/Sancho Panza each was a specialty unit owned 50% by a passionista and 50% by HSA. The passionista funds and develops the

How about shutting down Cuaba and Monte Open and rebuilding Ramon Allones, LGC or Diplomatico instead?

When I was in Cuba in 2010, I asked the attendant at the resort cigar shop what his thoughts on the Cuaba were, thinking I would try one. He turned his nose to the cigars and said "No, I don't like these." When I probed further and asked why, he said "They are not Cubano." I was shocked and I was left with the impression that this was a common thought of many Cubans. How can a cigar (or anything) be a success if the people who make it are not passionate about it?? Perhaps the problems with Cuaba are more profound than we might suggest here, and that the change required for this cigar cannot be fixed by any suggestions we might have.

I doubt it. And the Cuaba definitly taste cuban…

He meant that it didn't have the Cuban soul, not that it wasn't made in Cuba with Cuban tobacco.

He meant that it didn't have the Cuban soul, not that it wasn't made in Cuba with Cuban tobacco.

I don't want to be unpleasant by I wouldn't trust the manager of a resort shop to tell me about a supposed "cuban soul"…

What about the fact that in the 19th/early 20th century most cuban cigars were figurados?

• Like 1

I don't want to be unpleasant by I wouldn't trust the manager of a resort shop to tell me about a supposed "cuban soul"…

What about the fact that in the 19th/early 20th century most cuban cigars were figurados?

For sure, the opinion of one is not a good representation of the whole. That being said, I wouldn't discredit his opinion all together either. Before talking to him I never would have thought anyone in Cuba thought of Cuaba like that. It opened my eyes to a new opinion that some in Cuba might simply not care about Cuaba. (and, in some cases, even Habanos for that matter) If there is one who has this opinion then likely there are others. How deep does the rabbit hole go? Sometimes very deep.

Sales figures and brand awareness would say otherwise. Before you dismiss other people's ideas, based on your personal taste/preferences, perhaps look at the bigger market environment. The current sales/marketing/brand strategy is clearly not working. Sometimes, you need to revitalize things by introducing something new to bring back awareness.

Outside of hard core cigar smokers, people are looking for smaller, flavourful, well priced cigars globally. The sales success of H Upmann Half Corona and RG perlas demonstrate this:

The keys to their success IMHO

1) use quality leaf (for both blend and visual appeal)

2) launch at a venue with lots of influencial people (habanos festival: merchandisers, reviewers, key influencers)

3) get packaging right (offer in 5 pack tins, 10 packs or 25 count)

4) price it well so people are willing to give it a shot (price in between h upmann half coronas and rg perlas)

Having re read the thread, I have yet to see your view on what possible solutions that you can offer. Just comments on other peoples opinions, which is the basis of this thread. Ready to share?

I did not dismiss your opinion based on personal preference, but countered your opinion with my own. Feel free to not agree with it. That is what a discussion is. Try going through the thread again Art and you will see that my opinion is very clearly stated.

Just because it is me who posts something, doesn't mean you have to disagree automatically you know. I do not a tiny, little itty bit about cigars you know.....

Reminds me of Vegsa Robaina or Trinidad. New marcas that don't have the long history of others and often are dismissed before people giving them a shot.

I wonder how many of the people on this thread that automatically call for their deletion or for their complete overhaul have smoked many Cuabas? How can anybody judge what a cigar "should" be if they have not had ample experience with the cigar as it is now...?

I think what Rob was trying to get us to say is .... all Cuaba needs is someone looking after the marque that has a real interest in it doing well. The branding is OKish and the blends are generally good. Construction unfortunately is hit and miss and because Figurado aren't the easiest things to smoke anyway, a bad example is likely to turn people of trying.

On the plus side, Cuaba have a uniqueness and are a premium marque.

If it were up to me, I'd kick arse until I got the construction issues sorted and then start working to promote the pluses. Unique and Premium ..... come on, a bit of driving is what's required!

Reopen romeo factory. No other solution.

Plus one on the above statement - when the cigars were rolled at Romeo it was fantastic.

Trivia: one of the reasons the brand started at that factory was the presence of over two hundred figurado molds from the old times. And to this day is the only brand that is represented by figurados exclusively - makes no sense to start rolling parejos, IMHO.

Rob,I like the idea of a video review,more exposure could help.

How about an offering where you get a box of Cuaba at a discount when you buy a different box at a certain price,or spend a certain amount.

I love perfecto cigars,they are elegant,and do reflect history.

I admire the marca for staying pure to the perfecto shape,apart from the EL.

I think what Rob was trying to get us to say is .... all Cuaba needs is someone looking after the marque that has a real interest in it doing well. The branding is OKish and the blends are generally good. Construction unfortunately is hit and miss and because Figurado aren't the easiest things to smoke anyway, a bad example is likely to turn people of trying.

On the plus side, Cuaba have a uniqueness and are a premium marque.

If it were up to me, I'd kick arse until I got the construction issues sorted and then start working to promote the pluses. Unique and Premium ..... come on, a bit of driving is what's required!

Nothing from the old Romeo factory has had any success. ERDM...dead (down to 2 vitolas). Cuaba....dead. SLR....dead (down to three vitolas all available with age). Sancho Panza...dead (down to 2 vitolas). QDO...dead (down to 2 vitolas) and would be one if SEITA wasn't owned by the same company that is partners with Cuba in Habanos.

Romeo 22 -25 different vitolas that are all crap and have nothing to do with old fashioned Romeo flavor. See a pattern?

• Like 1

I'd miss them too. I like Cuaba but the problem is (in my experience) they need some age on them to be good, plus construction can be an issue.

Agreed.

Cuaba Salomones are amazing after a few years - developes better than its Partagas cousin.

Rob,I like the idea of a video review,more exposure could help.

How about an offering where you get a box of Cuaba at a discount when you buy a different box at a certain price,or spend a certain amount.

I love perfecto cigars,they are elegant,and do reflect history.

I admire the marca for staying pure to the perfecto shape,apart from the EL.

I'll second this. I've never had a Cuaba and this thread is making me very curious. I'd love to see a review. That would probably push me over the edge to pick some up. Or you could feature them during a LFTH at some point.

I did not dismiss your opinion based on personal preference, but countered your opinion with my own. Feel free to not agree with it. That is what a discussion is. Try going through the thread again Art and you will see that my opinion is very clearly stated.

Just because it is me who posts something, doesn't mean you have to disagree automatically you know. I do not a tiny, little itty bit about cigars you know.....

Not questioning your knowledge bro or the fact that we are seeing things differently. Has nothing to do with who makes the statement

I am curious as to what you would recommend as a solution to revive the marca....

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Figurado's are a tuff sell in the age of donkey ****, road flare cigars. I wonder how many complaints about plugged cigars was just someone not being able to wait 3-5 minutes for their cigar to get going. I didn't start buying Cuaba till 06 but have enjoyed them all. I could do without the Diadema, wish they of axed it instead of the Tradicionales. I also think it was a mistake to make the 08 EL a piramides...stupid!

Just the shape is a smoking journey.

Obviously you can't put these on a draw test machine, but I can't recall many plugged Cuaba that I've had....06 on.

Better leaf, better rollers, I'm all for that.

I've had some that tasted like they came out of a box of See's nuts and chews.

I do think they're priced a little high, which doesn't help.

But if you don't mind staying in first gear for a while they're a great ride.

I do enjoy Cuaba..

Like some have already suggested.. If the sales are that bad maybe a simple lowering of the price to create new interest in the marca.

I think with all the bad reviews Cuaba gets most people simply opt for a "safer bet" and price does make peoples minds up, I know I've tried cigars I wouldn't have otherwise because they were cheaper than other marcas and been pleasantly surprised. Fonseca being one.

Nothing from the old Romeo factory has had any success. ERDM...dead (down to 2 vitolas). Cuaba....dead. SLR....dead (down to three vitolas all available with age). Sancho Panza...dead (down to 2 vitolas). QDO...dead (down to 2 vitolas) and would be one if SEITA wasn't owned by the same company that is partners with Cuba in Habanos.

Romeo 22 -25 different vitolas that are all crap and have nothing to do with old fashioned Romeo flavor. See a pattern?

Off topic a bit, but what's happened to ERDM is almost a crime, when you look at its back catalogue and now at what is left of thisonce pround marca its a tragedy.

Lowering the price will only signal that the cigar is non premium, like the perception for flor de cano, and will cheapen the marca further. Did i mention rafael gonzalez, another killed romeo factory brand.

Flor de Cano is interesting, I think with the success of the UK regionals and the Asia pacific one they could add some regular production cigars and re-launch it as a premium brand, with success I think.

This thread is making me very curious and now I want to try some. If I was going to get a couple singles, what vitola would be the best to get the 'Cuaba' vibe?

Whichever one you can get that has had at least 3 years of age on it, 5 would be even better.