Por Larrañaga Petit Corona

I have a relative coming through Dubai over the next month and Im trying to think what cigars I want her to get me. It needs to be a petit corona format preferably. I love the Bolivar and H. Upmann PC's and was tossing between the two of them. Given she is coming through Duty Free, Ive been toying with the idea of getting her to get me a cabinet of 50 Por Larranaga's.... Ive never had one before and am a little concerned how it has been described as a mild cigar and am unsure if I will like the flavour profile (enjoy the H Upmann PC, Bolivar PC, Mont PE, Saint Luis Rey Regios).

I wouldn't consider them mild either. In my opinion, PLPCs are stronger than a Monte 4(which I consider medium) but not as bold as a Bolivar PC. All three of those are heavy in my rotation for what it's worth. Love them all.

Maybe I should inform i've only smoked 5-6 plpc's ever, so not an expert. I remember the latest best - examples with a bit of age - they did have flavours and some complexity, but found the taste soft and subtle. Punch and upmann is fairly mild to for me, but I find the taste notes more distinct -I might not have an overly refined palate. Its a lot of cigars to buy without having tried them, but you could probably hand the off to someone if they are not to your likings

With a cab you have the chance to age some of them and form your own conclusions.

Young, they will taste earthy and fresh,agreeable but not at their best.

They are a lovely stick,lots of flavors,but not as strong as Boli or Monte pc's.

I would say closer to Hoyo strength.

Been smoking these a long time,very dependable marca for consistency.

Or get two new marcas like Sancho and R.Gonzales,or Quay d'Orsay.I like them all,different flavors,same vitola.

PLPC is not that expensive a cigar for the 50 cab, duty free or not. No rush so better to try a couple before investing in a whole box? When I get the chance to buy duty free, I try to get something I cannot buy anywhere else.

Thanks for all the replies ! The reference to Hoyo was quite helpful for me,

Sorry but this reference is helpful for no one: the PLPC has NOTHING in common with most vitolas in the Hoyo line. Completely different flavors, completely different style.

The best thing that the PLPC offers is a note of wild honey, that becomes darker and much sweeter with age.

Not exactly a Hoyo thing…

I am not sure you can find Por Larrañaga Petit Coronas in the Dubai Duty Free. But you can send them a mail and ask.

Perhaps you can still find some 10 years old El Rey del Mundo Petit Coronas which could be interessting...

I did just this recently. Boxes of unopened ERDM PCs, Corona Deluxe and Gran Coronas dating back to '03.

I personally don't like them .

Why would you get 50 of something you've never had.

Curious, but haven't you recommended cab RASS to others in the same boat?

Recommendations for PLPC 50-cabs make sense. Firstly, they're very reasonably priced for that amount of cigars. Secondly, if you want to try them, like it or not, that's the only packaging / size you can get them in (aside from obviously buying singles or trades). And lastly, if a person ends up not liking them, PLPC is a cigar that's very easily resold / traded away if need be, as there's tons of fans out there.