The one cigar smoking experience you could never replicate?

You know....that one cigar that made you go "WOW!!!!"......and yet no matter how many times you have tried since .....you could never replicate the experience in that vitola/marque?

Chasing the holy grail experience again....but never quite there pod.gif

easy, the cigar i smoked when my son was born. it was just a PSD4 tubos, it was not the best cigar i've ever smoked, but it was by far the best smoking experience. That moment where I realised that, i'm a father. The only way i'll be able to replicate that is either the first cigar i'll smoke with my son, or if I have another child.

Jaun Lopez #2 (RTO 07), followed by a Cohiab GR from a festival coffin. Unreal combination of 2 outstanding Cuban cigars, which has never been matched since. I have no more JP#2's. But I do have one CGR from the festival coffin.

The first time I lit up the UK La Flor De Cano release, I was initially going to avoid it due to the size but grabbed a single from my local B&M. I lit it up that night and it blew me away, I went back the next day and bought the rest of the cab and luckily out of the 17 I picked up that were left, I've smoked around 14 and only one has not lived up to that first smoke, I think I stumbled upon cigar gold!

First time I smoked a Limited Edition, in 2001 or 2002: Partagas D3, and later the RyJ robusto. These flavors were new to me, I didn't know cigars could taste so "dark". I was fascinated; I don't believe that this memorable experience could be replicated or renewed.

Well this happened to me last night while smoking a BBF from 2011. Honestly the best cigar I've smoked so far. I am immediately going to try and track down some more '11 BBFs to see if they can compare. There was nothing really special about it, had a normal day, in a good mood, went on the deck with a new craft beer I decided to buy and try and it was just magic.

1989 Davidoff on my 50th birthday. The hype of receiving for a gift, waiting for the day to smoke it, sharing it with a fellow cigar geek, going nuts over it and enjoying the story and photos ever since.

The legend gets better every time I tell it.

Very easy to remember.....My 23 year old son and I both love cigars. His new job took him from western Washington to Santa Monica, CA. He asked me to do a road trip in order to take his car down there. I mean, how cool is that? While the trip itself was memorable on a number of levels, we had dinner the first nite at a wonderful restaurant in Ashland, Oregon, enjoying a 25-year old Pomerol. Walking the local streets of Victorian brick buildings, we lit up some 6 year old Siglo VI's, and were rewarded with a smoking experience that we will be hard pressed to replicate. As we each nubbed our stogies, we looked at each other with a quiet WOW!

It may have been the circumstances, the company, the wine or the cigar, but we can't remember a Sig VI ever tasting that good, before or since.

I've had a few that were quite memorable.

First that comes to mind is sitting in the Hajenius lounge on Father's Day 2005, chatting long distance with my children while smoking a Cuaba Diademas after doing the annual Tour of Gardens via bicycle.

Cigar Divan in Singapore last summer after closing my new company's first deal, smoking a PL Robusto while sampling a variety of the fantastic Scotch whiskies on stock and discussing anything and everything with the regulars.

Best I can recall though was back in spring of 2009 at the Punta Mita Mexico Four Seasons sitting at the beachside bar with my best bud/business partner and our wives when I noticed they had a handful of Edmundo Dantes El Conde 109s in the bar-top humidor.

Of course I had to partake. Perfect weather, light breeze, great drinks, impossible views and this cigar was one for the books!

My first CC, a Cohiba Siglo I that I enjoyed while walking along the Seine in Paris. Also, probably my first BHK 52 back in May 2010 in Zurich, Switzerland. Oh man, wish I had stocked up on the regular release, but hey, the BHK 52 were going for around $600 a box in Zurich at the time.

long story...that I will tell as briefly as I can...monty#2.

in '02 or '03...I was part of the "secret santa" thread at club stogie...that year my "secret santa" was edisonbird in florida...sent me a very nice package. all of my Christmas cigar gifts were gone by may or june the following year except the monty#2. just a size of cigar that I rarely smoke.

forward a few years...by spring/summer of '04...rick(edisonbird) knew(and told us) that he had cancer and it was systemic...he would not recover...passed away in june '05.

still had the monty pyramid and could think of no occasion appropriate enough to smoke it now.

forward a few more years...headed to cuba in nov'07...a last minute decision to take this monty back to cuba with me.

smoked it on my second night in vara...nothing special except the memories.

no monty#2 will ever be just a normal cigar now.

brought a tear and my cigar went out as I was typing...miss you rick.

derrek

My first Siglo VI while sitting above the Victoria Falls. Had just flown over the falls in a helicopter, and had a river cruise on the Zambezi. Got back to my hotel which was on the Zimbabwean side of the falls and just sat back and watched the sunset, then with the full moon out that night also saw a lunar rainbow.

long story...that I will tell as briefly as I can...monty#2.

in '02 or '03...I was part of the "secret santa" thread at club stogie...that year my "secret santa" was edisonbird in florida...sent me a very nice package. all of my Christmas cigar gifts were gone by may or june the following year except the monty#2. just a size of cigar that I rarely smoke.

forward a few years...by spring/summer of '04...rick(edisonbird) knew(and told us) that he had cancer and it was systemic...he would not recover...passed away in june '05.

still had the monty pyramid and could think of no occasion appropriate enough to smoke it now.

forward a few more years...headed to cuba in nov'07...a last minute decision to take this monty back to cuba with me.

smoked it on my second night in vara...nothing special except the memories.

no monty#2 will ever be just a normal cigar now.

brought a tear and my cigar went out as I was typing...miss you rick.

derrek

I was supposed to meet up with Rick in '03 while I was working down in that area. We had already communicated back and forth quite some time beforehand. Things fell through. After he was diagnosed, I knew we would never be able to meet up. I miss him too.

Opus X No 2 from 2008 just loved it. Have been spoiled with some PSP Monti 2's and really enjoy how rich and complex they can be at that level. That said in 08 I purchased three Opus x No 2 in KL and for me those particular cigars took cigar smoking to an entirely new level. Even in writing this I realize I have been lucky to smoke some magnificent Cubans with some great people, however none of those Cubans or the experiences matched that Opus X. So rich in toasted tobacco , leather and spice . I was stunned and amazed.

I can remember as If It was yesterday,and that was in 2004. It was a "MONSDALE" given to me by Enriqure Mons himself and he asked me to inhale It ,so I did , he then looked at me and said ,'What did I tell you " It was fantastic and so was the cigar.

A beautiful RyJ Churchill with an amazing silky dark oily wrapper while relaxing with friends in Buddha Bar St Petersburg, Russia this spring. I have no idea what box code this was but it was one the best cigars I have ever smoked. I assume it had at least few years of age as I have smoked few Churchills after this from different boxes which haven't come even close. It was an amazing location, amazing company and amazing cigar.