How Long Do You Dry Box Your Cigars?

I dont dry box

I gave it a shot a while back and didnt notice any real difference

When I did dry box i used to do it for no longer than 24hours

If icome accross a stick thats plugged i usually put it in the fridge for a couple of hours to dry it out, normally that fixes it

My humi runs at a consistant 65%rh

"About 2 days longer than I wet box them!"

- President William Clinton

I am going to dry box a H Upmann RR for 2 days prior to smoking and see if I can notice a difference verses the same cigar smoked immediately after removing it from a humidor that is at 64% RH and 67 temp.

Thanks for all of the advice.

I store at approx 60 rH. As Guy has mentioned, I dont dry box currently, nor will I probably start. I have taken Robs advice that if you experience a tight draw pre light, throw it in the fridge for an hr or so.

I don't intentionally dry box, but it's what happens. I'll load up my 3 finger and in my shirt pocket it goes, and when I get time I'm smoking. Sometimes it's a day or two, sometimes three... either way the cigar spend some time drying out. I loaded this guy up on Wednesday, now these two will probably be smoked today, or one today one tomorrow. I'd say they smoke better than the ones fresh out of the humidor.

post-6952-0-19503600-1379097301_thumb.jp

Only did it a few handful of times. Not really my preference, either. I do though lay out cigars day I am smoking them in refrigerator and/or cedar box.

Its pretty dry here in Colorado, and most of the time I just leave them out on the counter or sometimes in an old SBN box for 24 hours or so. I noticed a huge difference with the Punch super robustos when I did it. The first one I smoked I didn't dry box but took directly from my humidor at 65% rh, and it was ho hum and pretty bitter at the end. The second one I smoked I dry boxed, and it was absolutely phenomenal, probably the best cigar I've smoked all year. On the other hand, I like RG perlas more when they're a bit wetter, so I don't dry box them. The general rule that I follow is to dry box the cigars that a bit subtler as it brings out some of the complexity. It seems to be especially true with aged cigars. It can make a huge difference.

What humidity and temp level are you taking the sticks into when you dry box?

My humi's are all around 65% and an average of 72 degrees. My house' a/c runs almost constantly so the humidity level in my house is around 55% and temp is around 70-72 degrees.

Is 55% too low a humidity level for 24 hours?

What humidity and temp level are you taking the sticks into when you dry box?

My humi's are all around 65% and an average of 72 degrees. My house' a/c runs almost constantly so the humidity level in my house is around 55% and temp is around 70-72 degrees.

You'd be fine at that humidity for a day, Cigars won't get excessively dry in that time/humidity.

Not at all. If you want to taste a difference 2 days would be better. If the cigar is overfilled and doesn't draw well, 3 days!

btw, I regularly forget that I have put 1 or 2 cigars in the drybox, and after 5 or 6 days at 55 to 58% they're always fine…