Your best & worst of the "über premiums"

We've all smoked cigars and thought to ourselves, I'd rather have 2-3 'enter favorite regular production cigar here' as opposed to this one $20+ smoke, because it simply didn't live up to the hype.

BUT, there have also been those that have been ones we'd buy again and perhaps even go deep on to age where the price seemed justified by the smoking experience.

I'm curious which ones folks thought were worth the price tag, and which ones didn't make the mark?

Yes, this is a very subjective topic. And I'm mainly asking about sticks that retail $20+ per smoke or more (EL, RE or regular production), but certainly don't feel limited by that specific $ criteria as there are plenty that are at or around that price.

I absolutely loved the single Monte 520 I had and considered buying a box. But for that price I could buy almost buy two boxes of regular production petit coronas. But if money weren't an issue I'd be all over them. :)

Personally I feel that a lot of the REs with $18-25 prices really let me down, along with Cohiba Magicos, and a few other expensive regular production smokes. One example of let down would be the Punch Diademas Extra (Italian 09), at $20-30 originally, much higher now, I went into the cigar with great expectations- however it fell short on flavor, construction, and overall enjoyment. Not worth it at all and was glad I had only purchased a few singles.

On the other hand @ around $20-25 a stick, the fairly recent Bolivar Britanicas (UK 11) definitely had a fair price as I feel the experience and cigars qualities it displayed were worth it 100%. I can't wait to try more in a few years with age on them.

• Like 1

I buy very few "super palazzo" cigars...ones I think are worth it...you will note 46 rg or less but that's just me.

partagas '01 & '06 d3's

allones '05 & '07 eminencia's

bolivar especial

allones celestial finos

allones extra

about it for the 14 or 15 years these "uber whatever" cigars have been around.

derrek

Esplendidos are worth the price for me over sig vi all day every day of the week. Anything expensive other than those I don't really smoke, I bought a box of 2010 bhk 52s because I thought they were excellent but I'm not so sure I would do that again. I'd still take a good rass over pretty much anything though. I don't buy regionals but would consider RA variants (then again I'm pro RAFL).

I can justify the siglo 6 and lancero as they are just fantastic sticks. I'd also like to keep a box or two of BHK 54s around eventually for special occasions. I can also justify really obscure regionals just for the rarity factor.

I can't justify the cohiba ELs just too expensive they're good but not $40+ good to smoke regularly IMO.

As I right this post I realize that my views may be completely contradictory. I just smoke what I like and ill leave it at that

$20-25 a stick? If you had to buy retail here in Canuckersville that would buy you 3/4's of an Epicure #2. Last I saw a BHK 56 was $95.

Just mentioning this because it keeps the prices in perspective for us. We buy best quality first, look at price second, maybe buying less for a while if one box is on the high side.

• Like 2

For me would be the La Escepcion Italy REs! Absolutely stellar special occasion cigar and was just lucky enough to find a box and prob would buy another if I had the chance..

Bhk 54 was a huge let down for me especially when I could have bought 1966's for slightly more. I'm hoping they come around later though.

Monte 520 on the other hand was outstanding and I need to find another box of them.

$20-25 a stick? If you had to buy retail here in Canuckersville that would buy you 3/4's of an Epicure #2. Last I saw a BHK 56 was $95.

Just mentioning this because it keeps the prices in perspective for us. We buy best quality first, look at price second, maybe buying less for a while if one box is on the high side.

Very well put, Lisa. Much agreed.

For me, ones that are definitely worth it are turning out to be the La Escepcion RE and the Cohiba Piramide Extra.

Ones not worth it? I don't really have one, as I haven't really bought anything in the uber ranges, unless I've liked it. I don't have any boxes of BHK's (I like the 54's, but nothing has overly impressed me either), and I haven't smoked enough 1966's to really decide yet. The only other special release one that I got, but that isn't quite uber, is the Boli GM's - loaded up on them because they were enjoyable to me at the start, but I'm really finding I don't enjoy them at all now. And I've got lots of boxes of those too.

Exactly why I added the caveat of this being a very subjective topic. One man's BHK, is another man's cheep & cheerful.

I can't say I'd hate to walk into a shop and hand pick a smoke or two, but at those prices, there just wouldn't be many I would deem worthy of the price tag. Especially knowing full well I could have saved 50-60% or more buying from a reputable online vendor. Unless, of course, that shop had something vintage or extremely rare that just couldn't be found elsewhere online.

Worst: (In terms of value : enjoyment ratio)

Trini Short Robusto T

HDM Short Hoyo

HDM Regalos

Best:

VR 2003 Aniversario

RA Extra

R&J Duke

On the Fence: Cohiba 1966 - Unbelievable Cigar but Unbelievable Price

I thought this thread was about ultra rare sticks. There isn't anything above that couldn't be had with just money. That's not uber rare.

I thought the OP was asking about 'uber premiums' that are worth the money.

I thought the OP was asking about 'uber premiums' that are worth the money.

Bingo...sticks worth a "premium" price tag, and vice versa.

So many overhyped, overpriced LE and RE, I don't even know where to begin... Cohiba 1966. RA RE Andorra in Faux Carbon Fiber box, RyJ Churchill Reserva, ...

You mean the PL?

Indeed they are. But when buying in Andorra, that PL Robusto Superior RE, pound for pound, costs less than the majority of regular production, anywhere else in the world. For me, being from Oz, they came in <$20AUD. And it is a stellar cigar. One of my mates hit the flavour profile on the head with "green almond." Quite unique.

As for the OP, if it makes you feel special, paying the premium or hunting them down. Then most I have chased have been worth. The PL RS RE Andorra would be one for sure!

As for the OP, if it makes you feel special, paying the premium or hunting them down. Then most I have chased have been worth. The PL RS RE Andorra would be one for sure!

Not sure I follow the feeling special part. Sometimes that might be true, but only after a good many adult beverages ;). I've done my share of chasing smokes though, but I'm long past that. If they aren't easily acquired then I'll just move on to the next one.

A box of PL Regalias de Londres did sorda fall into my lap not too long ago. That's one where I felt the price was justified. Just a plain fantastic cigar.