Hybrid hypercar has an odd name, but who cares when it's the fastest car to wear the Prancing Horse badge.

Ferrari has trumped its supercar rivals with its fastest-ever road-legal car revealed at the 2013 Geneva motor show.

The oddly named LaFerrari - literally translated to The Ferrari in English - is the latest addition to the new-age breed of hybrid-powered hypercars. In typical Ferrari style it produces more power and accelerates faster to 300km/h than either the McLaren P1, which was also revealed in final production trim at Geneva, and the Porsche 918 Spyderthat's due to hit the road in September.

It even outpaces Lamborghini's wild Aventador-based Veneno that was revealed the day before, but misses out on the Porsche's and McLaren's ability to run under full electric power at low speeds.

Instead, Ferrari claims its successor to the Enzo is as close as you can get to a Formula One car with number plates.

“We chose to call this model LaFerrari because it is the maximum expression of what defines our company - excellence,” said Ferrari President, Luca di Montezemolo.

“Excellence in terms of technological innovation, performance, visionary styling and the sheer thrill of driving. Aimed at our collectors, this is truly an extraordinary car which encompasses advanced solutions that, in the future, will find their way onto the rest of our range, and it represents the benchmark for the entire automotive industry.”

At the heart of the LaFerrari is an upgraded version of the company's 6.3-litre V12 also found in the F12 Berlinetta. With an increased 13.5:1 compression ratio and numerous internal modifications, it alone produces a staggering 596kW of power at 9000rpm - and can achieve a maximum engine speed some 250rpm higher - while peak torque of 700Nm is reached at 6750.

The V12 engine, however, is also assisted by a pair of electric motors developed by its F1 electronics partner, Magneti Marelli, using technology it has learnt since the introduction of Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems (KERS) in F1 four years ago. The LaFerrari's HY-KERS system incorporates a 120kW electric motor into the drivetrain, which boosts its total power output to 718kW and maximum torque to 900Nm, as well as a smaller secondary motor to drive the ancillary systems.

A complex set of algorithms in the car's computer controls the power delivery of the combined powerplants to boost low-down torque for instantaneous response. Ferrari says the electric motor even maintains high engine speeds from the V12 through cornering for faster exit acceleration.

The electric motors are provided energy through a high-density battery pack that is mounted to the floor of the car's carbon fibre chassis and weighs just 60kg. It is recharged under braking as well as by diverting excess torque from the V12 engine when necessary.

Ferrari says the HY-KERS system in the LaFerrari is designed mainly to improve performance and, unlike the P1 and 918 Spyder, it cannot be driven solely on electric power as it “would not fit the mission of this model”.

But Ferrari has admitted the car was tested in full electric mode during its development phase - which reduced its fuel consumption by a third (it still drinks about 14L/100km) - and that it could be implemented in such a fashion on future models.

The power is delivered to the rear wheels through a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox and Ferrari claims it can rocket to 100km/h in less than three seconds, similar to the McLaren P1, Porsche 918 Spyder and Lamborghini Veneno. It will match the McLaren to 200km/h - both claiming the double ton can be achieved in about seven seconds - but the Ferrari is more than two seconds faster to 300km/h.

In comparison to its predecessor, LaFerrari can lap Ferrari's Fiorano test circuit five seconds faster than the Enzo and reports have indicated it can lap the Nurburgring in less than seven minutes, making it not only Ferrari's fastest-ever road car but one of the world's fastest cars.

It's not just the power that helps it achieve such performance though. The car is built around a lightweight carbon fibre chassis that is stiffer and has a lower centre of gravity than the Enzo, and despite the added weight of the battery pack, it tip the scales at just 1360kg - 5kg lighter and less than most small cars.

Its distinctive body was honed in the same wind tunnel as the F1 racers and features active aerodynamic devices such as front and rear diffusers, guide vanes under the body and a rear spoiler that increase downforce when required without compromising its drag coefficient.

Only the elongated wing mirrors – they're so long to see around the LaFerrari's broad rear wheel arches – stand out as being out of place.

To ensure it stays firmly planted on the road, the LaFerrari's double wishbone suspension has the latest magnetic shock absorbers, the carbon brakes have been improved, it wears specially-crafted Pirelli P-Zero tyres and it features a suite of electronic safety systems.

The two-seater cockpit has also been influenced by its F1 cars. The seats themselves are a fixed part of the chassis and are set at a reclined angle similar to how Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa sit, but both the pedal box and steering wheel are adjustable and will be tailored to each individual owner.

Ferrari has reportedly received more than 700 requests for its flagship hypercar - including about seven from Australia's wealthiest car collectors, even though it cannot be registered here because it will only be produced with the steering wheel on the left.

But Ferrari says it will only produce a maximum of 499 LaFerraris.

Each is expected to cost more than $2 million, before you add on local taxes such as GST and luxury car tax.

Sent from Steve's iPadpost-5203-0-15732000-1362656279_thumb.jppost-5203-0-21411400-1362656295_thumb.jppost-5203-0-06291400-1362656308_thumb.jppost-5203-0-47876300-1362656332_thumb.jppost-5203-0-48157000-1362656355_thumb.jppost-5203-0-02908600-1362656404_thumb.jppost-5203-0-75461200-1362656425_thumb.jppost-5203-0-40530300-1362656449_thumb.jppost-5203-0-84768200-1362656466_thumb.jppost-5203-0-51304400-1362656482_thumb.jp

Beautiful. I do however find that most "supercars" tend to share similar designs and in effect look too similar. This one here reminds me of the McLaren F1. I miss the older , simpler designs like the 288GTO, the 308 and 328. The name however seems somewhat uninspired.

Like Frank said, they all kind fo start looking the same after a while, although I am happy Ferrari is moving away from the 1980's hipster style. Ugh.

Which cars in particular Shlomo?

California (any of them), Maranello (any), Superamerica, 458 Italia, the absolutely ridiculous FF, and the Berlinetta. Pretty much all of their current roster. I am not a Ferrari fan to be honest, and FAR from a connoisseur, but Ferrari just does the same thing over and over again with nothing inspiring imho.

I have to agree with you there. Many of those cars, especially the front engined ones, aren't very exciting. Even If I could afford any of them, they wouldn't do it for me. Unfortunately, there are too many well heeled folks who will buy whatever they make and don't complain about the styling or lack thereof. Most super cars have become boring due to the widespread adoption of the tear drop shape employed to reduce drag. The only way to make them distinct is to add spoilers and cut away slots in the bodies for air cooling or downforce.

Gorgeous. Bet it purrs like a tiger too. Save up your allowance and cut back on the LFTH and maybe just maybe...

Keep on dreaming Lisa,only 400 of those will be built and the have over 700 orders.So my guess is that the will have draws for who gets one.I pass on this one as well as on the McLaren due to the fact that I wouldn't have a licence or car anymore after taking it out for a spin.

I like it. Agree I can see design aspects taken from previous models implemented in La Ferrari (Italia lights, Enzo'ish front and rear diffuser, split twin exhaust...) but why "reinvent" the wheel per say IMO. Personally if I had the coin it would be the Italia for its good looks and handling.

Hope to see all these new hypercars on Top Gear and see what the Stig can do with them. Also would love to see them on the Nürburgring.

When in Miami recently we saw the new Fisker... that was a pretty cool car, and affordable too.

Well... as fate would have it. The New CA magazine just arrived at my door and look what is in it:

post-8371-0-56475200-1362676119_thumb.jp

I get what he is saying. These cars require wide open roads or tracks to really enjoy their true character. There are so few places to drive them without fear of being arrested for criminal speeding. I have owned a couple of very "fast" cars in the past 5 years, no Ferrari :), and it's frustrating to say the least. Just as you get to the fun point in the RPM band you have to come off the gas because you're way over the speed limit. Or you have kids and have to "be more practical" nosmilies.gif

I get what he is saying. These cars require wide open roads or tracks to really enjoy their true character. There are so few places to drive them without fear of being arrested for criminal speeding. I have owned a couple of very "fast" cars in the past 5 years, no Ferrari smile.png, and it's frustrating to say the least. Just as you get to the fun point in the RPM band you have to come off the gas because you're way over the speed limit. Or you have kids and have to "be more practical" nosmilies.gif

That's what track days and autocross are for :)

Cheers. I've never driven one, but have been enamored for some time. I'm a fan of many of the "older" cars, but I also think that many of the newer cars follow the vision of racing, and form following function (again, a personal view).

post-296-0-15438700-1362685299_thumb.jpg

post-296-0-48977800-1362685320_thumb.jpg

Photos taken by me

Well said and couldn't agree more. Something about the marriage of classic lines and styling with form, functionality and technology.

A guy I know just bought a pre owned 458. Seriously, just beautiful.

But yes, he says his M3 is his daily driver because of practicality (kids, groceries etc.... )

....but Ferrari just does the same thing over and over again with nothing inspiring imho.

Agreed, but to me, not nearly as bad as Porche. Now THOSE all look the same, that's for sure. I like how the guys on Top Gear refer to the Porches all looking the same, looking like just a sportier version of a VW Beetle. LOL.

That's what track days and autocross are for :)

What he said!

Being a pretty hardcore car guy, it's not fair to label this brand as that or such and such an era as pointless. Every model year breeds new cars, some of which are a$$, and some that go on to be classics. While I agree that many new performance cars are way too littered with sensors and electronics to be worthwhile, there are still some greats out there, the Porsche 911 GT3 being a prime example...well, up until the release of the 991 GT3 a few days ago.

And for those who truly do want to experience the capabilities of cars like these, you do need to take it to the track. I've had the pleasure of driving many of the best circuits in Canada and the US and I am by no means a speed freak on public roads. You CAN enjoy these cars for what they were meant to do, you just need to go the proper place to do it.

I hate Ferrari and my dad owns a 360. I never found any of the cars appealing maybe except for the 355. Porsche on the other hand has that appeal to me, i agree to all the comments they look the same a beetle on steroids. But for the enthusiast its engineering that's evolutionary rather than revolutionary which is the appeal.

Being a young guy, I wouldn't mind having a supercar (if I could afford it). However, there are plenty of gorgeous classic cars that won't depreciate by 20% the moment you leave the dealership. Funny whenever I see a nice car (there are so many in the SF Bay Area), my dad says it's a shame that they can't drive it anywhere. I mean what's the point of only being able to accelerate up to 40 mp h in a city and only go 90mph on the highway (if you don't get caught). John is right...those cars belong on a track. I've driven a few really nice cars (thanks to some wealthy swiss friends) and they are a thrill to drive, but I can see how they can get old quick.

Call me crazy. But I still think these are amongst the most beautiful cars made.

post-6763-0-77215400-1362691799_thumb.jp

Even the recent one is just stunning.

I wouldn't call you crazy. Those are gorgeous cars.

I just got a Shelby GT 500 a month ago. Much less refined than those, just raw and fun to drive. You need to show some restraint when you take this out in 40 degree Fahrenheit weather on wet roads. Don't hit the throttle until the wheels are pointing straight, even then the back end bucks and twitches.

No doubt you have to track these to even begin to push them to their potential.