maverickdrinker

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

On 7/24/2022 at 3:51 AM, SirVantes said:

The Bordeaux was excellent for a second wine. And the venerable Barolo was equally compelling in its own way, belying its humble status as a co-op wine. Goes to show you don’t need top dollar to drink very well.

I'd have high hopes for both.  Good fill on Pomerol's.

Have you owned both since release?

Been away on business travel for two weeks,  and it's been nice but it has wreaked havoc on my pretty healthy diet! Well, trip is coming to an end so this Shiraz is a nice way to close a very productive trip!

20220727_182808.jpg

• Like 3

how was the nyetimber?
We loved it, first time we've had the rose, full flavoured but still elegant. Had some really good pink English Sparklings lately; Maud Heath, Exton Park, Gusbourne, all great quality.

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, potpest said:

We loved it, first time we've had the rose, full flavoured but still elegant. Had some really good pink English Sparklings lately; Maud Heath, Exton Park, Gusbourne, all great quality.

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk

we keep hearing good things down here but we rarely see them.

22 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

we keep hearing good things down here but we rarely see them.

Hattingley & Ambriel are the two most common English sparklers in my locale.  The Ambriel's; someone has been dumping by the case in a local auction site.  Was too close to retail for me to bid on them.

4 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Hattingley & Ambriel are the two most common English sparklers in my locale.  The Ambriel's; someone has been dumping by the case in a local auction site.  Was too close to retail for me to bid on them.

we see an occasional bottle at independent retailers but the local industry for sparklers is fairly significant, especially the top wines from Tasmania. so they are likely to remain as curiosities at best for us. some of our top fizz is priced above the lesser champers (and some is certainly better quality), though like pretty much everywhere else, we are not competing on quality at the very top. 

• 3 weeks later...

Pomerol night yesterday. Missing a few blinds and a 00 l'Evangile and '09 Conseillante, which were both fantastic. Otherwise really enjoyed '00 VCC and '90 l'Evangile. Made the mistake of deciding some Armagnac and a RyJ PC afterwards were a good idea... mostly the Armagnac and lack of sleep were the problem.

IMG_1873.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Opened this bottle after reading a site it's ready to drink now. I enjoyed it immensely.  A tight, ROBUST, light wine. It was a bit too tight to be recommended open now. I did some more reading and 4 more reviews later, it should be opened after 2024 but will improve over the next 7-15 years. Oh well, time to find some more 

20220909_200631.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RicoIsHere said:

Opened this bottle after reading a site it's ready to drink now. I enjoyed it immensely.  A tight, ROBUST, light wine. It was a bit too tight to be recommended open now. I did some more reading and 4 more reviews later, it should be opened after 2024 but will improve over the next 7-15 years. Oh well, time to find some more

"light" and "robust" in the same review is an interesting dichotomy. 

personally, i'd only use the suggestions as a broad guide only. depends on the style you like, cellaring conditions, whether your taste aligns with the reviewer (it often will not). toro is normally a fair powerful style so further cellaring would certainly not harm it, but to be honest, if you were opening it on a winter's day with a good steak or roast lamb, i suspect it would be spot on. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

"light" and "robust" in the same review is an interesting dichotomy. 

personally, i'd only use the suggestions as a broad guide only. depends on the style you like, cellaring conditions, whether your taste aligns with the reviewer (it often will not). toro is normally a fair powerful style so further cellaring would certainly not harm it, but to be honest, if you were opening it on a winter's day with a good steak or roast lamb, i suspect it would be spot on. 

Ken, I enjoyed this bottle a great deal. My wife loved it as well, she loves full bodied cabs. I can’t remember where I got it from (too many clubs I guess). I agree with you that as long as it tastes good, thats all that matters. I’m still getting a few more though! 
BTW, I see TastingBook is down for a major upgrade for a couple of weeks. That site’s  a pretty good source.

New one to me and another rather good AF for a lovely warm day. The alcohol free choices out there just keep growing and improving. An absolute boon for those of us that don't/won't/ can't...

Sent by spooky action at a distance

bf75a350a90f8021e459e1541dd335e9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2022 at 10:59 AM, Ken Gargett said:

toro is normally a fair powerful style so further cellaring would certainly not harm it, but to be honest, if you were opening it on a winter's day with a good steak or roast lamb, i suspect it would be spot on. 

Agreed.  Toros are big and you should be fine up to 20 years old without worry.

1 hour ago, SirVantes said:

When you try the Tuscan venture of a Sicilian producer you admire and like it even more than their Etna Rosso. An excellent 2010 Brunello.

That's neat.  I too like Terre Nere Etna Rosso

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2022 at 10:12 AM, RicoIsHere said:

Today I toast in celebration of my wife's birthday. Love you lady, 28 years and still LIKE you as well as I love you! And yes you're still beautiful.

Cute tribute and great wine for such a lady!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...