What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

That must cost quite a tidy sum in SG

It wasn't too bad - cost about the same as the 18yo locally when I bought it.  The people who bottled this cask for the local scene did it right; well chosen and sensibly priced.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Never really liked Manhattans until I had one at this restaurant, made with high proof bourbon, and Cocci Chinato. I haven't opened the chinato yet but this one is pretty close!!!

20230918_181505.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/17/2023 at 11:05 AM, LLC said:

Good but I think it needs some more time. 

Banfi was well distributed around Boston, but not so much the last few years.  Sold line up of wines at competitive prices.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2023 at 11:41 PM, BrightonCorgi said:

For wines, I brought the '99 Musar and he opened '94 Haut Brion.  We both thought the Musar was better, but the last glass of Haut Brion was really something.

Very nice. I read the text before looking closely at the pic, and I did a bit of a double take.  As big a fan as I am of Musar, it surprised me that you both thought it was better than a Haut Brion (albeit a '94).  Another Judgment of Paris moment?  Then I looked at the pic...ahh, Le Bahans.

7 hours ago, SirVantes said:

Very nice. I read the text before looking closely at the pic, and I did a bit of a double take.  As big a fan as I am of Musar, it surprised me that you both thought it was better than a Haut Brion (albeit a '94).  Another Judgment of Paris moment?  Then I looked at the pic...ahh, Le Bahans.

Not that the Le Bahans is anything to turn a nose at.  That bottle was bought on current release as well.  We would've opened them both at the same time if we knew it was a two bottle afternoon.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 12:19 AM, BrightonCorgi said:

We had a nice selection of wines on Thanksgiving.  It was just three of us, so didn't get too crazy.

Started off with Phillipe Gonet "TER" which is an elegant  refined Champagne.  Crowd pleasing style. 

The Beaux Frères 2000 Pinot Noir magnum was a wine for the ages.  Just wow!  If that bottle was from Burgundy, add another zero to the price!  Rock star nose, well integrated and balance.  It's hitting its plateau now, but I'd say an 15+ years of life no problem.  Pretty hard to find their wines this old, especially in magnum.  Could be the best domestic Pinot I have had to date.

Our guest brought the 2017 Ch. du Trignon Gigondas.  Started off musty like it may've been corked, but eventually it did blow off (3 hours later) and was "nice", but not much more.  It was more of just bottle stink the whiffed off.  Both the pinot and Gigondas went well with turkey.

1985 Dow Vintage is destined to be a classic Dow.  We each had a glass of '66 Croft (last of what was in the decanter) that I opened a few days previous to this that set the bar pretty high.  I hadn't tried Dow 85 in some time and it's progressing to be one of the best of the vintage if not the best already.  Fonseca, Graham, Gould Campbell, Ferreira, Dow... stiff competition in '85.

i have enjoyed some of the champagnes from Gonet but not familiar with that one. 85 Dows is a cracker. always loved the vintage. and dows of course. 

On 12/3/2023 at 11:53 AM, Ken Gargett said:

absolute fave Beaujolais maker. have about 15 of these in the next door room - not chenas but fleurie, morgon, clos du moulin and a few others. from the 15 and 16 vintages. amazing wines. 

I don't recall ever seen that maker at stores local to me.  I buy a lot of cru Beaujolais too.  One of the best values in French wine.

Clos de la Roilette & Lapierre are the producers I go for normally, especially the Roilette's for the last decade.

What a coincidence.  Just got an email on a Beaujolais offer from one my main wine shops

Screenshot 2023-12-06 093529.png

15 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I don't recall ever seen that maker at stores local to me.  I buy a lot of cru Beaujolais too.  One of the best values in French wine.

Clos de la Roilette & Lapierre are the producers I go for normally, especially the Roilette's for the last decade.

What a coincidence.  Just got an email on a Beaujolais offer from one my main wine shops

this guy is extremely small production and extremely expensive. burgundy expensive. australia got a few cases a few years ago and i'll confess i grabbed a large chunk of it. not sure we have seen any more since? massive scores from the critics (take that how you will), some up with top grand cru burgs. 

Nothing's in my glass at the moment, but I pretty regularly like to cruise through the local shops here, and see what's on sale, or even being clearanced out at the moment -- people around here seem to be pretty loyal to Washington/Oregon wines, to the detriment of basically everything else... more for me! 

• 4 weeks later...