What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

4 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

interesting to see that here. they seemed reasonably prevalent a long while back but the stuff they were doing then was pretty average at best and they seemed to disappear from our shelves. have not seen much from them for a while - a couple of bottles that have been good - but i understand that they are now doing much better things these days so good for them to be back.

did you get it from Nicks? i gather he has it at a tick under $50 (cheap for us, sadly). 

bill, if you still have the bottle, can you tell me the importer? 

Hi Ken, unfortunately put the bottle out on Sunday night with recyclables. I do remember though, that on the back label it did have Nick's as importer I think. I bought a selection. The first was a Chateau Juvenal La Terre Petit Homme from south Rhone. I think I liked it more than the Delas from North - maybe, but I did like the hint of terrior from the Nth. Hard to describe for me but I could see how some of the bottles demand hundreds of dollars - which I can't afford. Ha ha! Nice to dream though. The last one I had was a Domaine de Escaravailles La Ponce Rasteau from south and at half the price of the Delas, I think I enjoyed it more - 80% Grenach, 20% Syrah. Maybe it's the Grenache I'm liking. I am waiting for a bit to try the Domaine de Escaravailles Les Hautes Granges Roaix at 100% Syrah, 2020. Might need time but, hey, I've only got one Carlota Maduro left from 25 and they have just come into their own. Ha ha! Also got some sherry, Nebbiolo and Malbec. Love a good tax return. Cheers, And yes, the taxes and importing ups the price in Aus unfortunately. You can complain or just shop diligently and research and enjoy the moment. We're pretty lucky really IMHO. Hope the rains aren't getting you down too much. I'm going to Rutherglen Winery Walkabout Weekend in a few weeks. Might research some bottles. Let me know if you want anything. Cheers.

IMG_8585.jpg

IMG_8590.jpg

IMG_8591.jpg

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

3 hours ago, Bill Hayes said:

Hi Ken, unfortunately put the bottle out on Sunday night with recyclables. I do remember though, that on the back label it did have Nick's as importer I think. I bought a selection. The first was a Chateau Juvenal La Terre Petit Homme from south Rhone. I think I liked it more than the Delas from North - maybe, but I did like the hint of terrior from the Nth. Hard to describe for me but I could see how some of the bottles demand hundreds of dollars - which I can't afford. Ha ha! Nice to dream though. The last one I had was a Domaine de Escaravailles La Ponce Rasteau from south and at half the price of the Delas, I think I enjoyed it more - 80% Grenach, 20% Syrah. Maybe it's the Grenache I'm liking. I am waiting for a bit to try the Domaine de Escaravailles Les Hautes Granges Roaix at 100% Syrah, 2020. Might need time but, hey, I've only got one Carlota Maduro left from 25 and they have just come into their own. Ha ha! Also got some sherry, Nebbiolo and Malbec. Love a good tax return. Cheers, And yes, the taxes and importing ups the price in Aus unfortunately. You can complain or just shop diligently and research and enjoy the moment. We're pretty lucky really IMHO. Hope the rains aren't getting you down too much. I'm going to Rutherglen Winery Walkabout Weekend in a few weeks. Might research some bottles. Let me know if you want anything. Cheers.

love rutherglen and thanks for the offer but i have shelves full of the stuff. can't drink it fast enough. 

nice rhone collection and the two lustau's should be stars. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

interesting to see that here. they seemed reasonably prevalent a long while back but the stuff they were doing then was pretty average at best and they seemed to disappear from our shelves. have not seen much from them for a while - a couple of bottles that have been good - but i understand that they are now doing much better things these days so good for them to be back.

did you get it from Nicks? i gather he has it at a tick under $50 (cheap for us, sadly). 

bill, if you still have the bottle, can you tell me the importer? 

I think Domaine Wine Shippers in Melbourne are the importers for Delas.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

I think Domaine Wine Shippers in Melbourne are the importers for Delas.

fuzz, you are correct. should have known. gary (former ansett pilot and sas soldier) has been a great mate of mine for forty years. one of the world's top blokes. he mostly deals with the great burgundies and top wines of france. this is not a typical producer for him. i see parker has declared great improvements in the last 15 years. i think that is spot on. 

The Los Arcos had been always around bottle for me, for many years.  One of the best working man's priced drinks that pairs well with cigars.  One of the best pairings IMO.  We get that for around $15 in Boston.

Thanks for reminding me on the Los Arcos, on my shopping list now!

Two year old Rasteau is cradle robbing.  Stuff from the late 90's are still going strong.

16 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

The Los Arcos had been always around bottle for me, for many years.  One of the best working man's priced drinks that pairs well with cigars.  One of the best pairings IMO.  We get that for around $15 in Boston.

Thanks for reminding me on the Los Arcos, on my shopping list now!

Two year old Rasteau is cradle robbing.  Stuff from the late 90's are still going strong.

agree re rastau. into the cellar with them! i remember a lovely bottle from 78. 

5 hours ago, Wookie said:

I opened this oldy last weekend for a bbq to share with a couple friends. It was brick red and still eminently drinkable.  1978 wasn’t an awful year in Bordeaux.

78 was probably the best year in the 70s, along with 70 itself. some could be a touch green but the top wines lovely and this would be one of the best. i remember a 78 tasting years ago and this was a star. the mouton very ordinary. most of us raved about the petrus except one bloke who hated it. stood up and said he'd sell every bottle he owned for $20 each. a dozen hands shot up. sadly, he didn't have any. 

mind you, i would not have allowed a cigar anywhere near a glass of that latour - not a fan of red and cigars at the best of times but certainly not something that good. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

78 was probably the best year in the 70s, along with 70 itself. some could be a touch green but the top wines lovely and this would be one of the best. i remember a 78 tasting years ago and this was a star. the mouton very ordinary. most of us raved about the petrus except one bloke who hated it. stood up and said he'd sell every bottle he owned for $20 each. a dozen hands shot up. sadly, he didn't have any. 

mind you, i would not have allowed a cigar anywhere near a glass of that latour - not a fan of red and cigars at the best of times but certainly not something that good. 

Don’t worry, the cigar was smoked well after the wine was drunk. 1970 la mission haut Brion was a fav of mine before I ran out a couple years ago. Also the 1970 Cheval blanc was a standout for me.  I think 1978 haut batailley was another standout…I had a couple cases but finished it off in late 1990s. 

• 3 weeks later...

Had these two over the last week.  1980 Sandeman started off on a bad foot.  Astringent and uninteresting on day one, but on day three was well integrated and a joy to drink.  1985 Graham was opened when we finished off the Sandeman.  Had a pop and pour of it and it was a powerhouse.  I forget how good '85 Graham is.  Plan to have some tonight; day three on the Grahams.  I try to avoid wine on Monday's if I can.

The dry wine is an Argentinian non-vintage, really neat.

1980 sandeman.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Had these two over the last week.  1980 Sandeman started off on a bad foot.  Astringent and uninteresting on day one, but on day three was well integrated and a joy to drink.  1985 Graham was opened when we finished off the Sandeman.  Had a pop and pour of it and it was a powerhouse.  I forget how good '85 Graham is.  Plan to have some tonight; day three on the Grahams.  I try to avoid wine on Monday's if I can.

The dry wine is an Argentinian non-vintage, really neat.

big fan of the 85 vintage and of grahams in general. have some of their old tawnies i am looking at. great stuff. 

3 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

big fan of the 85 vintage and of grahams in general. have some of their old tawnies i am looking at. great stuff. 

I haven't done an 83 vs 85 Grahams in a long time.  85 a had the nod 10-15 years ago, but the tides I think have turned in the 83's favor.  Could be a dead heat now.

8 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I haven't done an 83 vs 85 Grahams in a long time.  85 a had the nod 10-15 years ago, but the tides I think have turned in the 83's favor.  Could be a dead heat now.

that would be a really interesting comparison. taylors as well. 

Last week enjoyed a 2016 Agly Brothers Cotes du Roussillon Villages with a platter of faves  - jamon, marinated anchovies, gran pandano, sundried tomatoes and a pesto hummus. Really liked this wine. Good body and structure. I know I'm drinking these too young but don't have a cellar and really enjoying them as is. Cheers

IMG_8863.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

that would be a really interesting comparison. taylors as well. 

Just bought a case of '85 Taylor.  No '83 Taylor 😞  Actually I don't have much Taylor in general.

On 6/27/2022 at 9:46 PM, Ken Gargett said:

be interested to hear what you think of the penfolds. i thought some of their californian stuff was really impressive. 

As will

As will I. I picked up four bottles of the 704 a while back but haven’t tried one yet. 

On 6/27/2022 at 9:46 PM, Ken Gargett said:

be interested to hear what you think of the penfolds. i thought some of their californian stuff was really impressive. 

The penfolds is excellent! I’m ordering a few more bottles and hiding them from my wife. She enjoyed it as well. I like the penfolds more than he Gibbs. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Just bought a case of '85 Taylor.  No '83 Taylor 😞  Actually I don't have much Taylor in general.

big fan of taylor. probably more of it than any other producer. 

6 hours ago, RicoIsHere said:

The penfolds is excellent! I’m ordering a few more bottles and hiding them from my wife. She enjoyed it as well. I like the penfolds more than he Gibbs. 

not familiar with the gibbs. similar pricing?

7 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

big fan of taylor. probably more of it than any other producer.

I don't have a favorite producer.  It would depend on the decade.  Last 20 years, I like Noval since Seely straightened them out.  Dow & Warres for SFP.  I would lean towards Fonseca over Taylor.  A fan of Ferreira's elegance.  I am pretty non-partisan when it comes to port.