What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

On 2/19/2022 at 5:02 PM, Knilas said:

Barrell Bourbon Seagrass

What did you think of this? I’ve heard good things and love Barrell products in general. However, I wasn’t a huge fan of the Armida bottling (I think the Amaro finish threw me off). 

On 3/8/2022 at 1:58 PM, NapaNolan said:

Nice find for $21 at Costco. Infinitely more immediately drinkable and enjoyable than the 2017 Produttori I also bought there recently, though I'm sure the Produttori will be the better wine in 20 years.

That is a good buy!  Well done.

• 4 weeks later...

A negroni my way with a sprinkle of instant espresso muddled with Angostura bitters and orange bitters and a slice of orange. Nice match with the Carlota Maduro thanks to the underlying coffee note. Cheers.

IMG_8438.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

how was it? i have a deep suspicion of champagnes encased in gold - armand de brignac for one. but these guys usually make cracking wines.

had a lunch on saturday with the regular crowd of doctors and friends. a wonderful magnum of Palmer 2008 and then this - if champagne gets better, let me know!! yet again, this site has turned it sideways!

I am certainly more knowledgeable about red wine than Champagne. Everyone enjoyed it and found it a step up from a lot of others ones we’ve had. The truth is I was looking for something more known like Dom but the selection of Champagne’s here right now is very limited. My daughter is a music teacher so I though the Stradivarius was appropriate for the occasion. 

On 4/10/2022 at 9:15 PM, Ken Gargett said:

had a lunch on saturday with the regular crowd of doctors and friends.

Are those personal bottles or from the restaurant wine cellar?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2022 at 9:15 PM, Ken Gargett said:

how was it? i have a deep suspicion of champagnes encased in gold - armand de brignac for one. but these guys usually make cracking wines.

I have avoided as well.  Seems to gimmicky to take seriously.  Plus, I have seen some heavy discounting of their wines that lead me to fortify my opinion. 

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to broaden my wine experiences into Europe, which I know little about. Late Autumn chill suggests Northern Rhone might be ideal. Always thought this would be my go-to region. Here's my first introduction. A cheapie but nice all rounder. Enjoyed a Southern Rhone 50% Grenache, 40% Syrah, 10% Moudervourerdhowdoyouspellit yesterday which I thoroughly enjoyed too. Ha ha! Cheers. This one I thought a little thin but I just had a cigar and a stout. Very rounded for a 2019.

IMG_8569.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/20/2022 at 10:45 PM, Frinkiac7 said:

How was it?

Very smooth as expected for a 20+ year old wine. It was very nice but of course it would never live up to the cost and I got a great deal on it. I always wanted to try a well aged First Growth Bordeaux. Now I have, lol. Good stuff really!

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 3:37 PM, Bill Hayes said:

A cheapie but nice all rounder...

That's around $30, not what I would consider cheap.  Delas is a terrific producer for Rhone wines.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 3:37 PM, Bill Hayes said:

Trying to broaden my wine experiences into Europe, which I know little about. Late Autumn chill suggests Northern Rhone might be ideal. Always thought this would be my go-to region. Here's my first introduction. A cheapie but nice all rounder. Enjoyed a Southern Rhone 50% Grenache, 40% Syrah, 10% Moudervourerdhowdoyouspellit yesterday which I thoroughly enjoyed too. Ha ha! Cheers. This one I thought a little thin but I just had a cigar and a stout. Very rounded for a 2019.

interesting to see that here. they seemed reasonably prevalent a long while back but the stuff they were doing then was pretty average at best and they seemed to disappear from our shelves. have not seen much from them for a while - a couple of bottles that have been good - but i understand that they are now doing much better things these days so good for them to be back.

did you get it from Nicks? i gather he has it at a tick under $50 (cheap for us, sadly). 

bill, if you still have the bottle, can you tell me the importer?