A post about language

No offense intended, of course, but that seems a little hypocritical. If it's unsavory to use foul language in writing or in certain company, why use it at all? If it's a matter of propriety, should one not be proper at all times, rather than selectively?

If Rob allowed me to use the same language here as I do in the real world, I certainly would. If I speak the words, I have no problem writing them. But Rob's rules are clear, so I abide by the rules out of respect for the man. If he ever changed his mind I certainly wouldn't mind. I'm a member on several other forums where such rules aren't enacted and there are no detrimental effects. In my mind it's the personality or participation of the membership that make or break a community, not the types of words they use to express themselves.

But the rules here are clear and I respect that. It's Rob's house and he makes the rules. Fair, simple, and easy to understand.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

SIMPLE. When in person, there are several certainties. (1) I know those around me and their tolerance for foul language (2) there is much context to be delivered in tone of voice and bodily expressions that are absent online and (3) I don't have to follow anyones rules but my own.

I respect Rob and all he has done so I refrain. Also, in 99% of the cases, the topics discussed herein aren't left lacking and in need of profanity.

Hope that clears it up.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.631777,-87.070657

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(2) there is much context to be delivered in tone of voice and bodily expressions that are absent online

My arguement is not that we should be free to type like we are taking type from a sailor, but simply that if used properly words that are given that much power can be used to express emotion in an otherwise indifferent form of online communication.

Case in point: Anger, Frustration, Determination

All displayed in proper context that would be assumed by someone making a statement with feeling associated as such.

I have been a tad quiet for 3 months trying to dance around new proposed Australian Govt legislation. I have had an "effing" gut full. It will be no more.

Changes will be made. I am not complaining ( I hate whingers with a passion) and I am happy to go to ******* jail (mods delete or edit....I don't ******* care).

Too old, too tired, too excited, too pissed off, and I haven't even started in my life and I am not ******* quitting now for a pointy arsed poly or public servant who believes that a good glass of Chardonnay is the key to life. I will give you a hint. Laughter is. Sex is. Passion is. Compassion is. Friendship is.

To the Aussie Govt. My name is Rob Ayala. Send your best or your ******* worst. I don't care. I want my day in court. I will defend myself .....let us go mano a mano and take me down you pieces of spineless mierda. I look forward to it.

End of rant .

Now show me the person who was upset or slighted by the use of these words of emotional outburst? I most certainly wasn't, as a matter of fact I was impressed to see Rob express his emotion truthfully without censor, it shows charecter. And in closing, if you are worried about people abusing profanity in this private forum, are they really people you want camaraderie with anyways?

I don't like censorship or big brother or whatever as much as any other red blooded male.

Having said that, this is the ONLY forum (on any subject) I visit and that is because this is really an online version of a bunch of mates getting together.

If language needs to be censored to keep this from deteriorating as I've heard other forums have SO BE IT.

long live FOH.

EDIT: let me assure you in real life I can be very foul mouthed. I just find no real need to be so here.

Well put Rushman. I couldn't agree more

Pretty simple

Talk as you would with a bunch of mates ....but in the company of a woman.

The women i hang with talk worse than I do, bunch of potty mouthes and behind closed doors???? Forgetaboutit......

My tuppence on this..

I'm a big fan of the Maigret novels, which are regarded as very 'gritty' and realistic in their portrayals of the seamier side of life (sex, death, addictions etc.) However, at least in the english translations, there is virtually no foul language in 75 novels, and they lose no impact for that. My language is very Anglo-Saxon (usually when I'm driving) so I'm not being holier than thou. I'm merely making the point that in a context that precludes 'profanities' of whatever kind, then what we post doesn't lose impact or meaning.

When I posted about language yesterday, there was zero doubt in my mind that someone would start an open thread on the subject - the only surprise was that it took as long as it did. The original question would have been best directed privately to a site administrator.

How many times have we read here that members like FOH so much because it's not like other forums? That the owner and moderators are active members who try to keep the boat on an even keel, so to speak, and that the general membership strive to do the same?

Yet when an action is taken to try and maintain the "FOH Way", for lack of better term, when a mod tries to do the job they were asked to do, it seems we have a vocal minority who'd rather have FOH be like forums they claim they loathe.

When we joined Friends of Habanos, we all basically agreed to abide by the few simple rules that there are, agreed to abide by the code of conduct, written and unwritten.

My sincerest best wishes to our two newest mods - if you'd have asked my opinion prior to accepting, I'd have warned you off.

Well put Ross. We're all guests in Rob's virtual house here. If we were physically present at his actual home we'd all know to behave and show some decorum, even after a few drinks. Everyone needs to apply that thinking here. The "tone' of FOH is what lead me here. The people are/were far more well behaved than other forums. And I think it will continue to be, but we all need to work at it and remind each other of the "house rules" now and then. Mods and non-mods alike.

Playing devil's advocate here, to be fair to newer members there are some members who are utterly exempt from any of the rules and are treated kind of like (to use a famous phrase) the weird uncle in the attic, something of a curiosity, the village's tin foil hat wearing, crackpot space cadet. I guess if they see this and notice it is tolerated then they might take offense at their posts being moderated for what they see as minor infringements.

Playing devil's advocate here, to be fair to newer members there are some members who are utterly exempt from any of the rules and are treated kind of like (to use a famous phrase) the weird uncle in the attic, something of a curiosity, the village's tin foil hat wearing crackpot space cadet. I guess if they see this and notice it is tolerated then they might take offense at their posts being moderated for what they see as minor infringements.

I thought Ken was on Hiatus ;)

How many of you have left other boards? A few of you I'll bet. Do you prefer lawless behavior and chaos... well you can always go back!!!

I am not preaching but sharing a little knowledge of being a forum administrator of a private forum for about a decade now.

It pretty much goes like this. Someone has been offended by OUR language. Like a lot of you, I really don't care much about "adult language." As you all know I am one of the guys that cusses! But WE, collectively as the people that cuss too much, have offended someone or some group of other members. With that, as an administrator you have to weigh the complaints and the legitimacy there of in your decision to do something about it. Do you ignore the plaintiff or the defendant? A value judgement has to be made eventually if the complaints continue.

Most of us who have been around BB's long enough have been offened by and offended others. It seems to come with the territory. As a moderator you have the choice to warn or to delite. Let me tell you folks, no matter how well you think you know the guy you are warning, 8 out of 10 times he/she does not take it like a man but chooses to argue about it. The typical written responses, while not openly saying it, will certainly imply, "Who the "f" are you to tell me what to say?" Sometimes it is the direct response!

Now you are pissed too! Do you ignore, reject, cut the post, lock the thread, expel the member? After all, in the retort, in almost every case is the highway cop analogy, "I was only moving the same speed as traffic."

So Rob is either pastel wearing, daisy eye'd and virginal eared prude, or WE have likely hurt someone bad enough and long enough for them to complain about it. Which one do you think it is???

I know if I report a post I am resisting the desire to go lawless, the board and other members be damned, with my language and my response. Is that what you want? Or, should a moderator deal with the problem and have it go away? The lawless, members be damned approach is exactly how many BB's have gone to hell. While I like to swear a little, I prefer the overall health of the board to the chaos!

Cheers, -the Pig

Hmmmm...

I honestly think a gentle review of the language rules would be good.

I have never cussed or swore AT anybody or in response to somebodys personal opinion. Yet i have had posts moderated because i have maybe used a cuss word on response to something awful in the news.

We are all adults here.

Having said that it is a small niggle and this place means so much to me that i sincerely have no problem towing the line whatsoever, but i would be open to a review. I genuinley think we have a great community here that wont abuse it.

Playing devil's advocate here, to be fair to newer members there are some members who are utterly exempt from any of the rules and are treated kind of like (to use a famous phrase) the weird uncle in the attic, something of a curiosity, the village's tin foil hat wearing, crackpot space cadet. I guess if they see this and notice it is tolerated then they might take offense at their posts being moderated for what they see as minor infringements.

I resent the tin hat comment!!! -LOL -pig.gif

I miss Ken! I respect 100% if he wants to take time out and concentrate on spitbucket, but it feels like a death in the family, a rudderless ship, no one to make fun of spurs with...

Maybe we can have a whip round and buy him a new chair for the deck with inbuilt boss mp3 player and SLR DC humi to bring him back!

I have to confess to feeling a twinge of remorse at not having seeing the Boss in action recently!

When I posted about language yesterday, there was zero doubt in my mind that someone would start an open thread on the subject - the only surprise was that it took as long as it did. The original question would have been best directed privately to a site administrator.

How many times have we read here that members like FOH so much because it's not like other forums? That the owner and moderators are active members who try to keep the boat on an even keel, so to speak, and that the general membership strive to do the same?

Yet when an action is taken to try and maintain the "FOH Way", for lack of better term, when a mod tries to do the job they were asked to do, it seems we have a vocal minority who'd rather have FOH be like forums they claim they loathe.

When we joined Friends of Habanos, we all basically agreed to abide by the few simple rules that there are, agreed to abide by the code of conduct, written and unwritten.

My sincerest best wishes to our two newest mods - if you'd have asked my opinion prior to accepting, I'd have warned you off.

I probably would not have posted if I had read this prior to posting my own thoughts. You are exactly right Ross!

I think that some of the more passionate members are actually negatively affected by becoming mods. I think in some ways the personality of the board suffers sometimes because they don't want to be considered hypocritical in their behavior and actually overly constrain themselves.

Ken is obviously the exception!!! -LOL

Cheers

-Piggy

I probably would not have posted if I had read this prior to posting my own thoughts.

No way, Ray - I surely appreciate your perspective. This is already two posts more than I'd intended to add to this discussion, but if I may add this:

I sometimes get the feeling that some members might think the mods sit around, just looking for things to "moderate", that we enjoy playing cops. Speaking for myself (though I imagine it would be safe to say my fellow mods feel the same), nothing could be farther from the truth.

Consider it a challenge. It's easy to use naughty words to convey frustration, anger, emotion, but its entirely possible with the language deemed acceptable on this board. It might be a little more challenging to say "I genuinely have a distaste for the local constabulary" instead of "F--- the Police" but.. the end result is the same...

Here, some rap lyrics made scholarly...

http://www.sporcle.com/games/Mattomic/rapwithclass