A post about language

I miss Ken! I respect 100% if he wants to take time out and concentrate on spitbucket, but it feels like a death in the family, a rudderless ship, no one to make fun of spurs with...

Maybe we can have a whip round and buy him a new chair for the deck with inbuilt boss mp3 player and SLR DC humi to bring him back!

A new chair??? How about a pair of trousers instead.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edited by Piggy!

Opinions being what they are... this is completely untrue and frankly a slap in the face to a good moderator here. Administrating a public board is a BIG CHORE. That is if you take it seriously. Ross's statement resonated with me. It is a thankless job and while you may have not done it intentionally, you have emphasized the point about moderator constraint in general posting and difficulty in performing the job... perfectly!!!

I am not picking on you DD! I just strongly disagree with your statement.

You have to deal with the behind the scenes world of a moderating group to realize the crap that they put up with!

Boards go to hell because admins can't or won't keep up with the job. Mods burn out and leave. It should be a simple job, but I assure you it is not. If you like this board, good members are a part of it surely. Good mods, keep it that way!clap.gif

-Piggy

Opinions being what they are... this is completely untrue and frankly a slap in the face to a good moderator here. Administrating a public board is a BIG CHORE. That is if you take it seriously. Ross's statement resonated with me. It is a thankless job and while you may have not done it intentionally, you have emphasized the point about moderator constraint in general posting and difficulty in performing the job... perfectly!!!

I am not picking on you DD! I just strongly disagree with your statement.

You have to deal with the behind the scenes world of a moderating group to realize the crap that they put up with!

Boards go to hell because admins can't or won't keep up with the job. Mods burn out and leave. It should be a simple job, but I assure you it is not. If you like this board, good members are a part of it surely. Good mods, keep it that way!clap.gif

-Piggy

I have been in IT related roles for 15 years, i understand exactly what it is to do the job. This is a discussion board on the internet, there are bigger problems out there. I have no qualms with the rules but i think it inappropriate to publicly state one would have suggested Frank and Fuzz not take on their roles. Nobody said its not a thankless job sometimes, most of the time, all of the time.....its still outta line, then again thats just an opinion...

I don't think it is just Rob who wants to keep the board language clean I think the vast majority are happy to do so. It is an active vocal minority that that seeks to shake the apple cart.

What I like about this forum is that it is open to all with quality advice and discussion. I quite often log on using my work laptop which has software that restricts access to sites that includes swear words. As a result I cannot log on to other forums that do not restrict language. Long may we continue with the current FOH culture and protect access for evertone.

I need to refresh myself with the rules, as I wasn't aware of this one, and I thought we were a sophisticated and well-spoken bunch of folks! I don't normally use foul language, so I feel like this is a place where I can talk normally without the peer pressure of using colouful language to fit in! still very new here at FoH, but the language used is one of the reasons im starting to log on here more than other forums

everybody fears la fin du monde on the 21st?

Um, the world is ending on the 21st and we are talking about this????? Ive not heard anything about this please elaborate i have many things to get done and Christmas has been moved to this saturday if that is the case.....i wouldnt worry about that north korea thing, i saw kim il jung jr floatin around on a satelite so that should be over soon....

LOL, saw that too. Wasn't he named the World's Sexiest Man Alive by the Onion as well? I think he and the entire country believed it and they were actually congratulating him.

What a messed up place. And no. The world will not end on the 21st. The world will end, send me some cigars as there is no way you will have enough time to smoke them all! innocent.gif

No, the world ends for you guys on the 20th. The new galactic highway is scheduled for construction on the 21st, but since you guys are a day behind us, you get cheated one day! nyah.gif

Are we really up to 3 pages on this topic??????

It seems like a thread on this pops up with quicker and quicker repetition lately. Before we know it, we'll have a thread on this once a month, if not weekly.

But....

I usually have a laugh with these....some give platitudes and agree wholeheartedly with the sentiments (or take the polar opposite and go on a bender about free speech and censorship, but eventually agree with the ownership), but then go on in other threads to flaunt the community values and throw the agreed-upon decorum out the window. rolleyes.gif

all reminds me of when a great mate of mine, now a lawyer in melbourne, was arrested for abusive language. the police officer doing the arresting - "we are not having f.... c... like you, using f.... language like that".

true.

things didn't get any better for our hero when he later, back at the station, offered to assist them fill out the report, "as he'd had the benefit of an education". he was taken into a back room by two very large officers and told to strip. fortunately for him, he'd fallen from the stands at the gabba during a cricket match earlier in the day (yes, vast quantities of alcohol were involved but one of our mates was playing his first - and only as it turns out - game for qld and we wanted to help) and was badly bruised. cops decided they better not 'extend' it.

a very lucky man.

fortunately for him, he'd fallen from the stands at the gabba during a cricket match earlier in the day (yes, vast quantities of alcohol were involved but one of our mates was playing his first - and only as it turns out - game for qld and we wanted to help) and was badly bruised. cops decided they better not 'extend' it.

a very lucky man.

Then again, since the bruises are barely a day old, you would be able to tell the old ones from the news ones.

Then again, since the bruises are barely a day old, you would be able to tell the old ones from the news ones.

bruises only a few hours old. he'd tried to leap between stands to escape security (yes, a respected lawyer who has also been the CEO of certain publicly listed companies - if only the shareholders had access to my photos). and that wa the point. when the cops saw the frsh vruises, they knew that they could not touch him.

Two days ago, Colt45, one of our respected senior moderators, posted a warning thread on the recent increase in the use of unsuitable language on the forum. It is reproduced in full below.

The issue of language has come up again recently - most members understand. Simply put, the owner of this privately held forum has asked us all to refrain from using foul and/ or abusive language. This includes the use of acronyms, symbols, abusing the automated software, etc.

Going out of one's way to circumvent this shows a clear lack of respect for our host.

Please contact ownership with any questions, issues, or concerns.

As can be seen, it was a short concise post that was not in need of further clarification or discussion; therefore the thread was locked.

It is apparent that the purpose of locking of the thread and the final sentence of the post....was lost on several forum members.....resulting in this current Language Discussion post.

If a forum member requires clarification of rules or warnings, the correct and respectful method is to take it up with the moderator and / or the Management (Rob).

Posting in this forum is a privilege and not a right. If you want to post....comply with the rules, or as Rob so succinctly puts it......”bugger off”.

Comments in this post make it apparent that some people are unable to distinguish between the spoken word and the written word. Let me clarify.

If you want to use unsuitable language in the pub, at work, at your home, or (for some) speak to their wife using such language.......that’s up to you. The spoken word once spoken is gone.....it is only heard by those directly concerned or if too loud, by nearby persons.

However the written word if different! Once written it is there for all to see and judge. Posting in a forum allows a person to assess, judge and correct what they have written before hitting the post button. Ours is an open forum and it does the members no credit by using unsuitable language or publically arguing about such simple straightforward rules.

There are members on this forum that if told to defuse a bomb by cutting the red wire, would argue that they should be able to cut any coloured wire they like. That’s fine....but don’t complain when it blows up in your face.

If you don’t have the wit or inclination to follow simple rules, perhaps this is not the place for you.

This Language Discussion thread probably should have been closed as soon as it started, however moderators, despite comments to the contrary do not over-moderate or spent all their waking hours ready to pounce on posts.

I personally do not view all posts. I suspect that most moderators rely on the “Report this post to a moderator” function in the forum. This way the report goes out to all moderators and the first moderator to see the report decides that action to take.

Secondly, moderators use their experience to monitor thread types that tend to degenerate. We have seen many examples of this type and know what to look for. Also there is a very small core of “problem” posters that are well known to moderators.

Moderator action can include editing the post, deleting the post, deleting the whole thread, or in some cases moving the thread / post into the hidden moderators forum and seek fellow moderators comments before taking action. Other options include suspending members’ privileges for a period of days, weeks, or months. The final sanction is suspension.

I personally took up the moderator’s position because of my great respect for Rob and my fellow moderators. I would be more than pleased not to have to moderate anything.

Basically I have better things to do, than to moderate the small group of malcontents who don’t have the ability to follow simple rules or show a modicum of decency on this forum.

Trevor.