"We need to talk about Punch"

A Punch EL pyramid or robusto could maybe spark some interest. A box of Punch Churchills was one of the first full boxes I ever purchased and it was enough to reel me into the world of Cuban cigars on a full time basis. It was at the duty free shop in the Turks & Caicos airport. I was actually going to buy a couple boxes of Cohiba Siglo III and the guy behind the counter talked me into picking up a box of the Punch churchills so I walked out with a box of each. I am eternally grateful that he did so. I still have a few of those sticks lying around that I tend to smoke very sparingly now. It is a shame that they have been discontinued. Perhaps it is just a simple case of nostalgia but to this day they remain one of my favourite churchills!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here I am this perfectly brilliant Tuesday morning enjoying a Punch Petit Corona De Punch. I am actually loving it, leather, cream, earth. I am pairing it simply with soda water and ice...partly becau

I was with tmac77 in Toronto last year at one of the local B&M's. Just a leisurely afternoon walk after lunch and a few cigars. I can't remember the name of the store but there was a box of Punch

Going to reply fully to the post, but to clarify this (because the same thing happened in Victoria here - Multiple boxes of Punch Black Princes showed up on the shelves of a B&M).......The reason

Great post Prez,

It made me think about what I buy and I did an inventory of my humidors, already knowing the answer. I have been on a buying spree for the last year or so and I own ZERO Punch cigars - nada in terms of singles, boxes, three packs or 5 packs. Since coming into this hobby I have heard nothing good about Punch, with the most vivid memory being Rob's analysis of how horrible the Punch Punch was. Ironically, the only Punch cigar I have ever smoked was the 2006/2007 Pacific Region Regional Super Robusto and it was one of my favorite cigars of all time ( thank you tmac77 :). But the premium for that aged RE was not worth it when I could buy over two boxes of regular production cigars I know I love for the same price.

So would I buy Punch, just to try them? No, not until Rob gets online and says what he has said about the current RyJ Short Churchill or Hoyo Epi No.2 . . .

Ahhh Punch. My favorite and yet sometimes most frustrating Marca. Most of the punch I have had the pleasure of trying are in the Corona Gorda Vitola. My favorites in order are: the SS#2, Black Prince, RS 12,SS#1, DC, Churchill, RS 11 and PCDP. So how did most of these superior cigars end up getting discontinued?? Quality. I quite often hear that, when discussing Marca's and I announce that one of my favorites is Punch, I get remarks on quality. It seems to me that the Punch Marca in general, irrespective of the vitola, has got a bit of a reputation as not always being up to par from a construction quality standpoint. In my experiance, despite Punch being more valued from a flavour profile perspective the negative rep as a poorly construted cigar precedes itself.

I definately agree that some of the Punch vitolas such as the churchils, DC's, and the Petit Punch are in my opinion some of the best examples of a superior tasting cuban cigar. Now Rob I am going to throw this one back at you as you delight and revel in your PCDP no mention of the RS12????? A fantastic Marevas and superior to the PCDP. Shame on you! Allthough now both of these are discontinued so shame on Habanos.

So where is Punch going?? Well unless there were to be a concerted effort to reverse the negative reputation that it has as a low quality constructed cigar with no 'bling' appeal and reintroduce with great fanfare some of it's retired vitolas, despite its superior flavour profile, this Marca is going nowhere soon. I would not be surprised to see Punch going the way of the Diplomaticos with only a single vitola in the not too distant future and further out even the last remaining version of it's legendary corona gordas line going the way of the Dodo.

Only ever hd one and it was Punch punch in Barcelona earlier this year, mellow, honeyed and good but nothing special...more that willingly to look at them more but it has just never been a priority

Tom,

So what you are saying is that currently Punch is producing some tasty cigars, but that their rep for bad construction has scared off potential buyers? If so, of the current lineup, what would you recommend trying? I would be happy to introduce Punch into my humidor if what I think you are saying is true.

The Punch marca needs to be rebranded. What does it represent? What are the signature vitolas? This needs to be clearly defined to the consumer.

I have had several fantastic Punch cigars. Many cardboard duds. This brand has an unclear flavor profile at times. I think Punch is on life support until some creative management comes into play.

Tom,

So what you are saying is that currently Punch is producing some tasty cigars, but that their rep for bad construction has scared off potential buyers? If so, of the current lineup, what would you recommend trying? I would be happy to introduce Punch into my humidor if what I think you are saying is true.

Well Aaron unfortunately most of the great punch cigars have been discontinued. Out of current production the only one I could recomend as a superior cigar is the Punch DC is a great prominente but needs a good few years on it to show its colours. The Punch Punch still in production is a good CG but I would opt for the discontinued RS11 in its stead as there are still a few places with these around. Any remaining ones that are worth seeking out are now discontinued. There are still alot of PCDP's left so that may be a good starting point and at a much lower price point than a DC. There are also a few places left with RS 12's which is my favortie PC.

Tom

I can't really add much to this discussion but I've enjoyed reading the comments. I really do like the Punch del PC, it's all toasted graham cracker to me. Lovely little cigar. Besides that, which I always have a box on hand of, last weekend I smoked the Punch DC Rob sent with a cup of Anniversary Blend... and I think I've found my next DC box purchase. Outstanding example of what a cigar should be. Mild and classy, rich & smooth cigar.

I think it has some of the coolest box art, with that funny little guy with the pointy hat LOL I like to look for him on the box art, it's pretty iconic in most any cigar shop or smoke room.

post-6952-0-52441200-1349806311.jpg

Punch is the ultimate Dr Heckel and Mr Hyde cigar brand for me

I know what you can get from them but 9/10 times (Being generous there) I don't get it, I'm left with a dusty and acrid mess of a cigar. Maybe that is the reason; people try the brand, are burnt so never go back?

Not sure about the lack of a band causing low sales, at least here anyway as bands are usually taken off prior to smoking.

Just looking at what is still on offer today, SS #1, SS #2, Black Prince, both RSs just sitting there with more than a decade of age on them all. Maybe the packaging is an issue. EG if you have been burnt multiple times by utter crap cigars are you really going to buy a 50 cab of SS #1 or SS #2 on the off chance that your cab is going to be the one out of 30 that is smokable? Personally I'm not going to take that chance and I'm guessing many aren't either and that's why there are still shelf loads of boxes of the above sitting around collecting dust.

The Sabrosos truly is an amazing cigar but again does it sell well? Rob probably has a full idea of sales for it but I bet that the PL Robusto is outselling it still.

I love the Punch brand, it appeals to my childhood and wawtching the Punch and Judy shows on holidays at the seaside, but knowing what the outcome will be if I decide to pick up a Punch, I don't bother I just go for a RyJ short churchill and pretend.

Everyone still has the ghosts in their head about the bad years of Cuban cigars but Punch I don't think ever recovered. Those years killed the brand and it's like a grandparent in a dementia home now, you don't visit because it upsets you, instead you just open the photo album and remember the good times instead. Will it ever recover? The answer is probably there in the dementia home simile; of course it won't. The brand will limp along in RE and EL programs but the soul has been gone for years never to return, it's just an empty shell left behind.

My first truly great cigar was a Punch DC in 1998. It was powerful but balanced, with a pungent, coffee earthiness balanced by a floral finish. Incredible. I smoked two double coronas that night with my brother, back to back, it was that good.

Now, as many have said, most of my favorites have been axed. The Super Selections and the Royal Selections have some of that same profile I associate with Punch. It should be Punchy! Power and depth. The cigars I've had in the past few years, Punch punch and a couple boring DC's, are decent but lacking in a core profile identity. Lacking in soul.

In general that's what is missing, IMO. A soul, a core identity, like the robust one that used to define it. Unfortunately HSA axed the best and most emblematic vitolas of the brand and now we watch it languish and die.

Has anybody ever thought that maybe the quality/yield of tobacco crop for the production of Punch might have gone down? In all fairness, I wouldn't be so hasty about judgement of HSA's cuts. Obviously they are a business and for whatever reason, most of the Punch line were not big sellers and/or yields/quality were too low to make a good product. I think HSA makes up for cuts in the regular production of Punch in a whole variety of Punch regional editions. There are at least 4-5 regional Punch cigars which are often phenomenal.

I went through a box of the RS11 from '05 and they were great cigars. I've also had a few Punch Punch tubos which were excellent. 9/10 times though, I go for a Siglo II, RASS, RyJ SC, or Monte PE. While I wish there were more regular production punch vitolas, I'm perfectly content with the Punch Punch....and I can always buy a Punch RE if I get bored with them.

Has anybody ever thought that maybe the quality/yield of tobacco crop for the production of Punch might have gone down? In all fairness, I wouldn't be so hasty about judgement of HSA's cuts. Obviously they are a business and for whatever reason, most of the Punch line were not big sellers and/or yields/quality were too low to make a good product. I think HSA makes up for cuts in the regular production of Punch in a whole variety of Punch regional editions. There are at least 4-5 regional Punch cigars which are often phenomenal.

According to some who have industry ties (which does not include me), the Cuban cigar industry has a surplus of quality tobacco which could be used

for any number of cigars - but is not.

I agree that most likely, cuts are based on sales, but as others have mentioned, a quantity could still be produced for those who'd like to have them.

Once those are sold, produce another batch, etc. But as Rob has stipulated, this is about what members think can be done to revitalize the marque -

not about discontinuations per se.

young punch punch is good, young RS11 needs age. that's a problem, and ppl don't like to wait these days.

Agreed, i have found that RS11s and to a lesser extent RS12s needed a few years to take the edge off that Punch-y tannin that they had. I have one '08 RS11 left sitting next to some '04 Coloniales, and I'm guessing that all of the above will require vast quantities of port to quench the tannin power. Maybe the RS11 is sufficiently aged but a year ago they were not so, ... i'll wait.

Enjoy Punch DCs but have yet to have a great one.

The Punch Petit Corona De Punch is one of my 'go to' cigars this past year.

I like the brand, tho missed out on smoking some of the favorites that are now gone.

Maybe no one can take the name seriously or something and it never gets the status it deserves.

Like a really cute girl in high school named Edith.

And if I perish in a kiln explosion at my pottery class this week and you are doing a tribute to me

and sorting thru my most important post lines, you can chose this one:

"The Punch Petite Punch may have had a silly name, and been too small, but it was one one of the best smoking,

best tasting cigars this world has ever seen.

I curse the man who took that out of production and am waiting for you in hell."

Punch, to me, feels very much like a brand without a roadmap, these days. It's a shame that such a classic, essential marca seems allowed to drift into vagueness. For me, personally, it's telling that Punch remains vital to me because the Punch Double Corona is my favorite cigar, bar none, but at the same time, there's really nothing else in the line-up today that does much for me. If ever there was a brand screaming to be lifted back up to its proper place... Sadly, I have little confidence in Habanos, S.A.'s ability to do right by it.

I have a a couple of boxes of RS 11 which are one of my favorite corona gordas. The PCs are in my regular rotation. Kind of middle of the pack for petit coronas as far as I'm concerned. I have an 05 cab of DC's and an 06 box of Churchills that both have amazing flavor when I'm lucky enough to pull one out that actually draws. I have an 04 box of Punch Punch that is total garbage.

One general observation I have is that Punch cigars tend to need more age on them before they get to be good. I'm really not a fan of young Punch's at all. I feel like it's hard to tell whether a Punch cigar is going to end up being good.

When you couple that with hit and miss quality (more miss than hit), they're generally not something I'm rushing to buy. Buy a box, sit on it for 5 years and hope that maybe it gets good. No thanks.

I probably sound like an idiot posting this, but I am a fan of the Punch Punch. I have not smoked any of the older stock, but I have a great 10-pack of tubos from '08 and another great box from '09 that I have enjoyed. Can't remember the flavor profile right now other than I liked it. smile.png

It would be a shame if Punch got discontinued, but it seems like Habanos does not exactly have a unified marketing plan and they seem to concentrate a lot on Cohiba and Montecristo, their best sellers.