"We need to talk about Punch"

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here I am this perfectly brilliant Tuesday morning enjoying a Punch Petit Corona De Punch. I am actually loving it, leather, cream, earth. I am pairing it simply with soda water and ice...partly becau

I was with tmac77 in Toronto last year at one of the local B&M's. Just a leisurely afternoon walk after lunch and a few cigars. I can't remember the name of the store but there was a box of Punch

Going to reply fully to the post, but to clarify this (because the same thing happened in Victoria here - Multiple boxes of Punch Black Princes showed up on the shelves of a B&M).......The reason

Dunno why you would think you sound like an idiot...?

I enjoy the Punch Punch from the dress box, but the tubo version is a completely different animal. Just a stellar smoke. I always try to buy the Punch Punch in tubo version as opposed to the naked way.

Now I am going to be the one that sounds like an idiot but does it make that much difference them being stored in a tubo or are they acctually a different blend?

Now I am going to be the one that sounds like an idiot but does it make that much difference them being stored in a tubo or are they acctually a different blend?

Certainly not a different blend, and the difference from aging in a tubo would take some time… Maybe they put the best of the bunch in the tubos, like they "apparently" do for other boxes of 10 (Monte 1, Monte 2 )…

• 3 weeks later...

Since this thread I've been sampling some older punch cigars and I have to say: why isn't punch this outstanding now!?

I've since samples a few 98 black prince, 98 SS 2 (best to date), 00 RS 12 and a handful of punchpunch from 05. They have incredible flavor and all of them have their own desirable qualities that really get me excited to smoke more. Too bad one has to pay the extra price for aged stock to get that awesome flavor profile these days (although I have had a few '10 punch punch Tubos that were pretty good).

Had a 2000 Punch Corona yesterday (so did my buddy) - it was outstanding. Perfect construction as well - not sure if the "PCC Vintage Selection" had anything to do with it or not but I sure am glad I took a risk on this partial box. :2thumbs:

Sadly the only cigar left in the Punch marca that I enjoy is the DC. My favorite has been the RS11 followed by the RS12. I've heard praises sung about the Black Prince and the SS1 and SS2 along with the Ninfas, but never had the chance to smoke them. That said...Punch is such an iconic brand...it would be truly sad to see it go.

Thanks to this thread, I bought a dozen super selection #1 the other day as I happened upon them. Without this thread I'd have passed them over.

Personally, I love Punch. DCs are my favorite with a little age on them. Love the Black Prince, Monarcas and Tres Petit Corona, even here in the Netherlands we have a Regional from 2009 (Punch Royal) which is unequalled in taste, flavor and quality.

But yeah, I can think of only a hand full of people that agree with me, Punch is not exciting, not new, not hip, no new models, no fat robusto, magicos or bigger RG cigars (maybe that is their downfall, not conforming to the eager requests of the many), it is just DAMN good, consistent (all but the Punch Punch).

Maybe in the future it will revive, but for now, probably more and more gets cancelled in brands like Punch, ERDM and other small brands.

A shame!

My first Punch was a Petit Coronation. Loved it. Had the Punch Punch too, was a tad one dimensional but was enjoyed. I had a few Coronations left over, smoked two over a period of a couple of months and they were bitter as hell and had no flavour compared to the first I had.

Puts me right off the brand, never to return. Unless someone can persuade me...

iExplore on my Tappytalk part duex

• 1 month later...

I recently purchased a cabinet of 50 Punch Double Coronas FJN DIC 05.

The Punch DC singles I smoked before had been outstanding. Rich, creamy, complex with almost the full spectrum of Cuban cigar aromas.

The two I tried from my new cab are nice but kind of bland.

Then I read this review an now I am wondering if my cigars could be in a

vacuum period, where the flavors are almost non-existent in the first half of the cigar.

post-6604-0-07786500-1356277079_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

I recently purchased a cabinet of 50 Punch Double Coronas FJN DIC 05.

The Punch DC singles I smoked before had been outstanding. Rich, creamy, complex with almost the full spectrum of Cuban cigar aromas.

The two I tried from my new cab are nice but kind of bland.

Then I read this review an now I am wondering if my cigars could be in a

You said you, "recently purchased" them, and have smoked two so far. Maybe, to better help, we can look at a few variables - when did you purchase them, how long were they in shipping transit, then how long did they sit in your humi for after receiving the shipment, then how many days/weeks until you smoked those two, etc.?

Just some thoughts.

• 1 month later...

They have been in transit for 20 hours, including a plane flight. Sealed airtight in a plastic bag.

After two more days in the sealed airtight bag, I opened it and smoked two together with a friend.

I purchased the cigars in a La Casa del Habano.

They have been in transit for 20 hours, including a plane flight. Sealed airtight in a plastic bag.

After two more days in the sealed airtight bag, I opened it and smoked two together with a friend.

I purchased the cigars in a La Casa del Habano.

There you go...that's the problem. Put them away for about a month long rest at 65% and then try them.

If one was to scan throught my years of posts, the term 'punch petite punch" would come up quite often.

I too am a fan of the brand, cherish the 5 petites I have left, enjoying the box of petite corona del punch

I strain to reach into - not because the cigars are bad, but because I may never get a box in my humi again

and I smoke them like candy. I have a few larger sizes but they never caught my attention like the smaller gauges.

I have never had the RS but will certainly look for a stick somewehere.

All this meaning I do think highly of the brand and I am feeling the same tension in my gut regarding the Dip 4's as they disappear

as I did when I suddenly could get no more PPP's.

What to do about Punch? I dont think there is much to do, the good cigars will be lost to the cigars that sell.

Perhaps in a few years Punch too will go the way of Diplomaticos and the passenger pigeon.

M.

P.S I really miss the Punch Petit Punch also.

There you go...that's the problem. Put them away for about a month long rest at 65% and then try them.

The La Casa del Habano stores the cigars quite good.

Why should the transport in an airtight bag be a problem? That's an earnest question. I always wondered why you have to rest your cigars after transit when the bag was perfectly sealed. Is it the temperature? The barometric pressure?

In fact that depends how long the cigars have rest at La Casa del habanos, maybe your box have been travel for weeks from warehouse to places till your home. Sometimes the cigars arrived and are fine to smoke, and sometimes they need to rest some time.

I also was quite a fan of Punch SS#1 and specially SS#2, Rs11 though i do like the Punch-Punch (even, that's true it wasn't the best CoGo of Punch) and i'm a big fan of the Churchills. Let's just hope that at least Punch gonna follow the trend of the short fatty instead of dying.

In fact i also have the same problem with Partagas (even if can't be compare), they cut all the vitolas i used to smoke except for the 8-9-8 and Lusi (i've always prefered Boli Royal Co and RASS to D4) but where the Churchills de luxe, the lonsdale and alternative Dalia gone (not even talking about SDC)?

I found sad that they're preparing an eventually opening of the Us market with new band style and CAO like packaging and cutting out their patrimony, if it's going on they gonna make taste CC like NC.idea.gif . My centsinnocent.gif