Transit of Venus - Who else is excited?

Ok I know the abuse will start here but I will just delete your posts so save both of our time and don't post the abuse. But are there any other astronomers out there who are at least a little bit excited about this special event?

For those people out there who don't know about this special solar event, Venus will transit the sun on the 6th June 2012 and the next time it happens is in 2117 so I think I will be long gone by then. I have my telescope all ready to go on the deck at the office and as I missed the last transit due to cloud cover back in 2004 so I'm all pumped for this one.

Also from an Australian point of view the transit is important as it is one of the reasons Captain Cook discovered us, a black dot crossing the sun, who would have thought.

post-1550-0-41144300-1338361591.jpg

Ok I know the abuse will start here but I will just delete your posts so save both of our time and don't post the abuse. But are there any other astronomers out there who are at least a little bit excited about this special event?

For those people out there who don't know about this special solar event, Venus will transit the sun on the 6th June 2012 and the next time it happens is in 2117 so I think I will be long gone by then. I have my telescope all ready to go on the deck at the office and as I missed the last transit due to cloud cover back in 2004 so I'm all pumped for this one.

Also from an Australian point of view the transit is important as it is one of the reasons Captain Cook discovered us, a black dot crossing the sun, who would have thought.

post-1550-0-41144300-1338361591.jpg

I'm going to be flying that afternoon so am hoping the view is a good one. Ironically was flying the evening of the Super moon too and was really an awesome sight.

What's with the pic of an orange witha worm hole? :confused:

Seriously, though. The transit is of great historical and scientific significance, as its observance was used to calculate the distance between the Sun and Earth, and in turn, the size of the solar system. Only in the southern hemisphere will the transit be seen in the full.

If you don't have the proper glasses, lens filters or not using the projection method, you can always try the pinhole method to view the transit.

Yes I'm looking forward to it although the weather may not be helpfull--- and I will probably have to work that day. I am an amateur astronomer of sorts and have a home observatory----by the way 2 days earlier on the 4th of June there will be a partial eclipse of the moon for anyone interested

Here is a photo of my roll off roof observatory and scopes

post-12754-0-30756700-1338370501.jpg

What kind of telescope have you got Smithy? That looks like a nice piece of kit timelord!

I'm thinking of getting a telescope so would be interested in suggestions on what to get as a beginner. I'd be keen to hook my DSLR up to the viewfinder to take photos, is this easily done? Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread Smithy!

Gooday Styler, best bang for bucks as a beginner scope----wow so many variables,cost portability, storage in use and when not etc.

Lots of people opt for small and cheap only to find the need to upgrade as they get more into astronomy---be warned very addictive!

I would reccomend a dobsonian remembering aperture rules--10" or better still 12" better light gathering capabilities. They come in various configurations computerised goto or manual its just a matter of price.

Mine is a 10" Skywatcher with goto. Wish I' got the 12" though.

Your best bet is to have a look on line at your local astronomy shops and shop around for a good deal.

Hope this helps

Beeing a musician,

Venus is just "my" planet!

Yes, I am excited - will be on Tenerife island and hope to see the transit.

Cheers!

Yeah, I've been looking forward to it. I wouldn't call myself an astronomer though.

Very cool. How are you going to view it Smithy? Pinhole or some special lenses for the telescope?

Warren and I have organised to have his 120mm Celestron here all fitted up with a solar filter and a couple of deck chairs to take it all in.

Another excited astronomy geek here, Smithy :thumbsup: Observed the last one in June '04 with a 102mm refractor and filtered 15x70 binoculars. I'm volunteering at an observing program my local library is holding and will be using an 8" dobsonian. There are quite a few public venues for watching in the Boston and So. NH area. Right now the forecast is iffy, but they never get it right one day out let alone six days.

Rick

I knew I wasn't the only one out there who is a little excited.

Definitely not!! :)

We're very lucky to experience this transit as the next two transits of Venus will occur on December 11, 2117 and December 8, 2125.

I read a lot about astrology and the planetary movements. It can give you incredible insight into yourself, others and the influences surrounding you.

Monday's Full Moon is also the third Super Moon in a row this year - April, May now June. Both the Lunar eclipse & Full Moon are in the sign of Sagittarius so for all the Saggies out there, myself included, we may feel the planetary energy shifts a touch more than others.

Watch the transit safely & enjoy!

Fii :)

:surprised: As much as I'd like to burn my corneas to sightless ash trying to see a DOT in the middle of a burning ball of gas :looking::doctor: I think I'll just do with safer filmed footage :sleeping:

Hi all

It's just One of events like an eclipse but rarer Safest and best place to view is probably the Internet hope this link is helpful

Cheers OZ

Transit of Venus