Resist the urge to correct poor burn?

Hello amigo's.

Just a quick question. I am currently fighting a grudge match against a Trinidad Robusto Extra ('08). The burn has been poor from the start. I am trying to resist the urge to correct the poor burn.

Sometimes I find that the corrective measures create more problems. What is your take? Leave it alone to self-correct/continue to suck? Try to fix it?

FJ88

Hello amigo's.

Just a quick question. I am currently fighting a grudge match against a Trinidad Robusto Extra ('08). The burn has been poor from the start. I am trying to resist the urge to correct the poor burn.

Sometimes I find that the corrective measures create more problems. What is your take? Leave it alone to self-correct/continue to suck? Try to fix it?

FJ88

Ola compay,

Hard to say without having a look at the big boy. I think you can tell when a burn gone awry will self correct and when it will not by looking at it.

If it looks like it will be going south I normally correct. I find not doing it will alter the overall taste and flavors; too much air coming in from the non burning portion, lower burning temperature... Plus having to constantly pull on it makes for a paranoid experience instead of an enjoyable one.

Cheers

I use a high powered torch that I can pinpoint the flame with a high level of accuracy to make corrections here and there when experiencing a poor burn. I keep my cigars at 65F and between 62%-65% rh, so I rarely get poor burns, but when I do they are usually the fault of the ambient air/wind/humidity of my smoking environment.

Does this include tunneling? I've never relied on a poor burn to correct itself. Even if it could I lack the patience to wait. I just take my lighter and either even it up or if it's tunneling I have my cocktail straw in my iced drink & tap a drop or two into the tunneled section.

If it looks like it could in any way funnel I correct. If its uneven I let it self correct. If it affects the smoking experience (ie too much air from the mon burning side, too much puffing, etc) I will always correct. I use a big ass vector triple torch to toast and light my sticks but I try (I'm sometimes too lazy) to get a single torch to correct burns so I don't overheat the cigar and also negatively affect the smoking experience.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.631828,-87.070710

If it's a bona fide tunnel, then depending on the severity, there might not be anything you can do. A tunnel is defined as a longitudinal hollow, or low density channel along the barrel of the cigar. This can result from improper bunching and manifests as an accelerated sharp burn region that moves well in advance of the rest of the circumferential burn front. I know, a picture is worth a thousand words.

You'll know it's a tunnel because if you press down on the area behind the burn line where it's racing ahead, you'll clearly feel an empty or spongy zone and this zone will continue as if leaf were missing beneath the wrapper and binder. I have, on occasion been able to slow it down a bit by nearly constantly dabbing the unburnt region ahead of the tunneling with spit. But in this case, the quality of your smoking experience is probably already headed down the crapper.

If it is simply an uneven burn front, especially with a portion that's lagging (meaning a region of unburnt tobacco that lags behind the circumferential burn front), then this is what I do:

1. Hit the unburnt portion with my torch lighter and hold for a few seconds until the wrapper and binder are burnt and dark.

2. Gently blow on this area until it turns grey to match the rest of the ash.

3. Keep on smoking.

I'm an inveterate toucher-upper so this works for me. Some folks like to ride it out and that's just fine too.

Wilkey

I never understood why an uneven burn is a big deal to some people...

I imagine that some of the reasons why an uneven burn might be a source of consternation to some, especially those new to smoking, could be:

1. uncertainty about whether this might affect the flavor or performance
  2. concern about whether it could get out of control resulting in loss of the stick
  3. fixation about the aesthetics of a clean, even burn line (me, sorta)
  4. not wanting to seem like they can't handle their cigar
  5. curiosity about what could result in such a condition
  6. probably a couple more things that could come to mind

Wilkey

I imagine that some of the reasons why an uneven burn might be a source of consternation to some, especially those new to smoking, could be:

2. concern about whether it could get out of control resulting in loss of the stick

Wilkey

I am a bit of a number 3

I can usually taste the difference in the case of a bonafide tunneling. My fix is cutting about 1.5cm behind the visible burn line and cutting a bit more until I see a clean unburnt cross-section and relight from there. The key is to moisten the wrapper at the area to be cut with a bit of water or saliva before cutting to reduce the risk of cracking. For cases of an uneven or lobe-sided burn line, I usually leave it alone if it tastes fine otherwise I clear the ash, hit the foot with a torch and purge gently for about 5-10 secs.

Wilkey

I'm more of a #3 too....

Funny, over many years of smoking I don't think i have ever had any cigar truly tunnel.

On topic, yes I touch up the burn, maybe to the point of being a little OCD about it. I can't let it go crook, it bugs me when I see something not right and it is easy to fix - so I fix it :rolleyes:

I too am a #3 sort of guy

And the fact that if it's not one thing,t its another ,when it comes to Cubans,why do I love them so :whistle:

If it needs to touched up I use a torch,and by the same token if needs to be chucked It's chucked .

I am so over trying to nurse uncooperative Cubans ,I do what I have to and move on

Cheers OZ :cigar:

I don't care if a cigar burns unevenly. What I have no patience for is a bad draw. If the stick is taking to long to get a good smooth puff, I'll give a chance with one poke. If not corrected, I abandon and go for another.

Lisa