Cigar Reviews

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have always wondered if reviews have any influence over purchase decisions. There may be as many reasons behind a yes or no answer as there are BOTL out there...

- Nice but I like to make my own mind up...

- So it is an opinion about one cigar out of a particular box; hardly representative...

- Depends on who is doing the review; I know who out there shares my tastes and who does not...

- I like to try new tastes and reviews help me in my selections...

- Its nice to have somebody else to blame to explain that crappy cab in the humidor...

- So it is an opinion about one cigar out of a particular box; hardly representative...

- Depends on who is doing the review; I know who out there shares my tastes and who does not...

I my mind the dabate is between these two. But reviews do influence my purchases.

Also:

-Most reviews tell you what the cigar tastes like. So, I can avoid grassy/herbal cigars I don't so much fancy.

I my mind the dabate is between these two. But reviews do influence my purchases.

Also:

-Most reviews tell you what the cigar tastes like. So, I can avoid grassy/herbal cigars I don't so much fancy.

+1

You beat me to it!...

I absolutely agree with you and use the same "filters" for my decisions. And most especially to stay away from the grassy/herbal flavours.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, I think the comments will be very enligthening. :thumbsup:

I also think that there may be more "no" answers than I originally expected?

I say not, as while I enjoy the reviews, they are rarely of the cigars I am interested in.

Personally, I have been going through the full Habanos catalogue recently, so I am kind of making my own mind up about what I like, and will buy a second box of those I like. Finances allowing!

I'm not really interested in the EL/RE stuff either.

So I enjoy the reviews as a piece of entertainment, and clues to the flavours of certain cigars, but I am guided by my own whim when it comes to buying.

The other facet is the great variation in Cuban cigars of the same make/vitola.

While the poll is general, there are specific factors that do make a difference: purchasing power and price point.

There are two groups of people. One that has the resources to make their own decisions, and another who definitely benefit from someone's suggestions. Say group A buys 5 boxes a month and group B buys a box a year. The latter's going to put a lot of emphasis on his respected sources' opinions on the matter. The former has probably had enough to have his own inclinations toward a marca in general. Like sellside research, a positive consensus may tip group A towards a purchase/investment, but by no means is it as meaningful as it is for group B. Then there is another tier of people in group A who tend to buy more than 5+ boxes of the reviewed cigar at a time, and they actually mimic the behavior of group B.

Am I going to buy a box of RA E if Rob says it's great? I already did. If Rob tells me that the Monte GR is the next sliced bread, will I buy it? I would hesitate, as would most, due to the price. The upper tier of group A would argue the point of intrinsic value over price, but most people would not be able to consider cigars in that context.

That said, my 2cents:

I love reviews. I love to see if people agree with my own assessments, what I'm missing, popularity/demand (in terms of reviews done), the consensus. However, I do take special note of several esteemed gentlemen's reviews and email letters. In that, I qualify them in their experience/opinions, and the context of how that review was done. The setting of the review is something I do consider greatly. Generally I disregard any reviews done while consuming wine. I have no problems with a light review, but tobacco is tannic by nature, and adding more astringents onto the palate makes no sense for me. For example, pairing a red with a young cigar can kill your experience as it accentuates the youth. It turns the smoke acrid, and it brings out the ammonia, thus making the cigar taste sour, harsh, etc.

And secondly, my predisposition towards a marca. You can tell me that the Cuaba you had is the best smoke you've ever had. I'm still not buying it.

- Marc

I am only a 1-2 box a year smoker max and although I have a good knowledge base from having smoked a lot in the past, I might know that I like Monte no.1's but I rely on reviews for giving me an indication about the provenance of a particular year, box, and factory which will all affect my purchasing decision.

I think reviews can be a great resource - when enough reviewers who's taste might be similar to mine have positive remarks about

a cigar, it might pique my interest.

So reviews might help me decide to try a cigar, and also help me decide to keep away from one. But in the end, the decision is mine.

For me a lot depends on who is doing the review and ultimately the cost of the cigar. An extremely positive review, say a cigar rated over 90 points, by people whose tastes I find similar to mine, will certainly get my attention. Then my process moves on to how expensive the cigar is and if I really need to purchase it.

At the opposite end, a negative review will 100% turn me off to the cigar.

If I may add, I think that we've probably all been affected by outside influences at some point in our cigar smoking journeys.

It might be reviews, or magazine articles, or simply talking with smoking friends - but otherwise, how did we decide which cigars

to try, especially early on? I also realize that we all have probably tried and still try some cigars at random.

A personal example would be the Partagas Serie du Connaiseur line. Left to my own devices, there's a good chance I might have not

given these great cigars a try. By gathering information, thankfully that was not the case.

I will admit to being responsive to group excitement and get caught up in grabbing the latest and greatest. My last four purchases were boxes of Upmann Royal Robustos, RA Superiors, Cohiba 1966 and SLR Pacifcos. I have enjoyed each of these except the 1966s which I just received. So, reviews work for me.

I have used reviews to find some of my favorite cigars. If the review is horrible, I stray away from that particular stick. I have had a few good cigars that got crappy reviews though. All in perspective I guess...

I've found a few too many times the reviews of some cigars don't agree with mine when I test it. Of course I don't mind Guantanameras and don't consider myself easy to please either! If a cigar is deemed a dud smoke I'll still risk a try if it's a new release that appears to be a well tasked effort from the manufacturer. And, again, there've been a few cigars lauded and applauded by reviewers that I've found were "Meh" <_< can take or leave, for me. So I voted "No".

As somebody mentioned I do use it as an indication at certain price point. I do try to try singles before committing to a box. But most impulse buy (and i blame this on LITH) have been mostly from reviews. But I do form my own opinion from that point on.

One review is never enough for me. I am fairly new to the Cuban scene and loving it. In the last couple of months I have put more than 10 boxes of Cubans into my Humidor. I love the reviews because in most cases the reviewer does an excellent job of describing the entire experience to me. From the dry draw and aroma to the final third when it gets down to the nub. I especially like when there are multiple reviewers at one time smoking several cigars from the same box. Typically, before I buy I will also search Google for additional reviews of the same cigar. If I find a consensus between several reviews to be what I am looking for, then I am an owner.

Therefore, the short answer is YES. Reviews definitely influence me, especially when there are multiple reviews to be found online for the same cigar.

Dan,

I look around, I read , I listen and then I make up my own mind.

What I look for, is not so much being influenced or convinced but

rather that it aroused my curiosity but, in no way will a

cigar review influence me on my buying or not.

Yes, I will always buy certain cigars I like no matter what anybody else says, but I do place a lot of Faith in reviews from the Czar and Gang, because I feel their experiences, palates, quality expectations, quantity smoked and search for perfection qualify them to know what's good and what's not.

I trust the opinions of those who have established a reason to be trusted. For instance, I'll trust a review here over some other random review. Moreover, folks who review regardless of financial remuneration tend to be more trustworthy in my book.

I trust the opinions of those who have established a reason to be trusted. For instance, I'll trust a review here over some other random review. Moreover, folks who review regardless of financial remuneration tend to be more trustworthy in my book.

could not agree more Bob well saidðŸ™

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-31.884667,115.829304

Great point, I would never have tried QUintero Panatelas if I hadn't taken a gamble and they are fantastic little smokes, for me equal to Paty Shorts in their own way. But you won't find too many glowing reviews about QUintero as I think people approach them expecting something different.

ya know my wife bought some quint panatellas for the shop and I was like "really!?!" but I tried them and shut up. Good little smokes.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.631821,-87.070550