Partagas Shorts

frenchkiwi

Ageing Partagas Shorts  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

post-1158-0-07349300-1322457000.jpg

I had another one of these diminutive and yet well-known cigars last night.

To cut a long story, well, short, it was on the fuller side of medium body to start out with, just pure leather. As usual, the little beast made me feel like I was gnawing on the edges of an luxurious mahogany and leather sofa. No doubt you've tried this if you've been to one of those turn of the century gentleman's clubs... it tastes like you are chewing on the unbridled power of patriarchy, capital, and the industrial revolution from above. This is expensive leather, with a certain elegance and complexity to it... which is no more than a smug expression veiling the threat of violence beneath. White pepper and a cedar kick round out the finish.

Half way through there is a slight lightening of mood as a new - admittedly very slight - hint of sweetness emerges. Cinnamon and caramel on the back of the cedar zing; the deal sweetens ever so slightly if you play along and work at its rhythm. It doesn't last though... you were the one being played, the brooding power beneath is slowly unleashed in all of its full-bodied glory and crushes the life out of your tastebuds,leaving you parched and weak. You are left flailing in a meaty earthiness with leathery smoke so thick you can chew on it.

It's pretty damn hard to masticate on an expensive leather sofa.

Anyways none of my boxes of Shorts have ever lasted long enough for me to know if they're worth ageing (i know, i know, i should buy a cab). Plenty of tannins and body in them so i imagine they age well ... but the poll should establish an answer to that?

ps: this cigar from a box AOP MAY 10 selected by the good people of Czars.

• Like 3

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had another one of these diminutive and yet well-known cigars last night. To cut a long story, well, short, it was on the fuller side of medium body to start out with, just pure leather. As usual,

One of the finest little cigars out there. Give me this and the Trinidad Reyes and you can keep all the other minutos, perlas, etc. Wilkey

great way to nub it without burning lips & tongue.

Love the couch! I can relate... my first half box of these were hit and miss in the same way. One would pulverize you with intensity and leather and tannin, and the next would be sinful. I've taken the second half of the box and put them where I can't reach for them as easily for now. I'd like to see how they compare with 18 months on them, because that kind of harshness is what I expect will dissipate, leaving the richness of the other flavours behind. But man, wood and leather to the max!

how would you describe 'couch' flavours?

I suppose it would depend on who's been sitting on it.

But seriously, I interpret it similarly to Lotusguy: In the extreme...bitter, tannic, and acrid as opposed to fragrant.

Wilkey

I suppose it would depend on who's been sitting on it.

But seriously, I interpret it similarly to Lotusguy: In the extreme...bitter, tannic, and acrid as opposed to fragrant.

Wilkey

i'm enjoying the fact that what i said about these Shorts was unintentionally left up to interpretation - no doubt some of you would have enjoyed that smoke, and some of you not.

but on the picture theme, and to answer your question Wilkey, i'm guessing that the person sitting on the couch was was less like this lady and more like the guy below:

SolocigarsMontecristoGal.jpg

winston%252520smoking%252520468x335.jpg

... if you catch my drift.

in fact, i enjoyed the leathery elegance of this cigar, especially once i got some port and then sherry out to take the edge off it.

without these it would have been very close to that Thin, Red, "Am i actually enjoying this?", Line (pictured above).

anyone confused yet? :blink:

how would you describe 'couch' flavours?

I'm sure who was just sitting on it my play a factor in the taste...

• 3 months later...

I don't smoke minutos terribly often and I have a rotation running with the these, RASCC, BCJ, and Reyes. I'm currently about 1/2 way through an 08 box, and in terms of level of enjoyment, I haven't seen much difference. The flavors have mellowed out a bit and gotten smoother, but there's something to be said for the raw power these have in their youth. I say different with age, but not necessarily better or worse to my taste.

• 1 month later...

Havent smoked many of these. Just received a box and smoking one - toast, coffee, pepper on the nose - i am not sure will be able to wait to age them - just love it the way they are, powerful :)

• 1 year later...

I bloody love them! Keep these alongside H Upmann HC's and Trini Reyes and don't really dabble in any other small smokes.

I keep meaning to try the Boli CJ and the RA SCC. I know I'll pull the trigger on a box of Monte 5's sooner rather than later.

I love these little rockets. However one question. I have a box MUR SEP13 and towards the end of the smoke I get a almost heartburn sensation in the throat. Is this the sensation of ammonia? Should I just put them down for a few months?

Cheers